IGNORED

Rare pics of Ae

YELLOW

Cool pic. Damned flash is ruining us being able to see the Max patches reflecting off their faces tho tbqhimhobff.

autechre_eb_joeokpako-3.jpg

looks like they both have the same/similar things on their screans; the lover part is divided into 8 similar parts for 8 killamix mini's endless encoders? 8 channels of audio maybe?

holy shit , nice pic , so there new setup contains only laptops and mixer ? and their crazy minds

That really is an awesome pic, screen views aside. Wish it was bigger, but it's interesting to get that much of a peek at how it's set up. ^probably right about the parts relating directly to encoders.

But I'm surprised the screen is that simply and concise, plus they aren't even using all the screen real estate available...silly dudes, jeeze. :emotawesomepm9:

They said in AAA that their patches don't have much in the way of visual feedback. I guess they weren't lying :)

For some reason (I have basically no evidence for this) I think their main patches are based around loading and swapping out sub patches for specific purposes. The live sets have been so fluid and yet have had definite sub-sections (that themselves have varied quite a bit), so it seems like each section, could have its own patch responsible for its distinctive elements, and these could combined in various ways or run alongside each other for smooth transitions, etc.

My guess on the pic is that each box on Rob's screen corresponds one of these, and he's just adjusting a handful of parameters for each.

Sweepstakes: not sure Max can load patches on the fly, my knowledge of it is limited (but growing). But I think what mentioned makes sense in general and just given how their live sets seem to flow and shift.

I think they talked about what controllers they were using in AAA but I'm too lazy to search for it right now. :)

Sweepstakes: not sure Max can load patches on the fly, my knowledge of it is limited (but growing). But I think what mentioned makes sense in general and just given how their live sets seem to flow and shift.

I think they talked about what controllers they were using in AAA but I'm too lazy to search for it right now. :)

You can, actually, if I remember right you can use Javascript to do stuff like that. Come to think of it, though, I asked Sean in Portland whether he does scripting in Max and he was kind of like, meh, never bothered with getting "Java" to work. :cerious: So yeah maybe my theory is bogus. (Side note: turns out the Java stuff is pretty cool, too, you have access to all kinds of stuff through the Max API, pretty much everything but the Live stuff as far as I can tell)

You're much more knowledgeable of Max than I, for sure! I've been keeping up with some folks who are WAY into Max, and it seems like maybe they're just learning as much as they can but not creating much music (or video). Sort of like the gear heads mentioned in another thread recently, in it more for the tinkering and learning and nuts and bolts than the end result creations. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum unfortunately, can't remember how to patch a simple sequencer cause I didn't learn anything cool and give up for weeks. Alas...

sent using magic space waves

You're much more knowledgeable of Max than I, for sure! I've been keeping up with some folks who are WAY into Max, and it seems like maybe they're just learning as much as they can but not creating much music (or video). Sort of like the gear heads mentioned in another thread recently, in it more for the tinkering and learning and nuts and bolts than the end result creations. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum unfortunately, can't remember how to patch a simple sequencer cause I didn't learn anything cool and give up for weeks. Alas...

sent using magic space waves

Ha, well, sadly, I am one of those guys. My goal is to make some tunes with it. But right now I can't resist the temptation to get sucked into some weirdo sound design hole every time I fire it up. I do record stuff here and there but I mostly just like to noodle. Oh well, it's all fun! And maybe some day I'll make some tunes with it :)

the best way to approach Max is to have some concrete goal in mind, something you want to accomplish that no other software or hardware can do for you, and then learn just as much as you need to along the way to build what you want to build. otherwise you just noodle forever.

if you sit down with an end result in mind, and you dive into the documentation & examples as you go, or you take apart other peoples patches, you learn just enough to accomplish what you need. plus you build up all these little modules along the way that you can reuse for you future projects. of course your concept will mutate & expand along the way as you learn, but as long as you keep the end result in focus you'll end up with something you can use.

the thing to keep in mind about whatever Max system that Autechre are currently using is that they have been building & evolving this thing since they were creating Oversteps. that's at least 7 years of work. it was used to make 2 albums. taken out on 2 tours. plus they don't have day jobs so they work at this stuff pretty much full time. I'm sure there is some low level Gen stuff in there as well. the patch must be pretty well evolved by this point.

and to keep this thread on-topic, did you guys check out the elseq individual track artwork by the designers republic?

def some rare ae pics in there:

d57d8a4.jpg

• 2 months later...