IGNORED

Squarepusher interviews about Damogen Furies

Herr Jan

This might be a good spot to post the interviews Tom has done (I assume) for the new album.

The first one that I've seen was for a Dutch magazine 3voor12, so I translated it (bit hasty) for all you non-Dutchies. I've attached it to this post in .doc here or have a pastebin.

Squarepusher.doc

Squarepusher%20damogen%20furies.jpg

https://www.djbroadcast.net/article/120621/squarepusher-de-kluizenaar-en-het-digitale-beest

Another Dutch interview, can't really be bothered to translate this as it reveals little interesting stuff (as it turned out, the one I did translate also didn't have that much value tbh). Only thing worth noting is that he says in this that he can't listen to Ufabulum anymore, or any other released album for that matter.

https://www.djbroadcast.net/article/120621/squarepusher-de-kluizenaar-en-het-digitale-beest

Another Dutch interview, can't really be bothered to translate this as it reveals little interesting stuff (as it turned out, the one I did translate also didn't have that much value tbh). Only thing worth noting is that he says in this that he can't listen to Ufabulum anymore, or any other released album for that matter.

thanks for the link! could you translate maybe this part?

De eerste aanzet voor Damogen Furies ontstond min of meer toevallig. Zo schreef Jenkinson het openingsnummer ‘Stor Eiglass’ in het huis van zijn vriendin, als onderdeel van een BBC Radio 1 sessie. ‘Ik had daar eigenlijk helemaal geen zin in. Je kent Radio 1. Het is niet fantastisch. Dus ik besloot om iets heel anders te maken, een paar nummers die bij elkaar zouden passen.’ Alleen, toen Jenkinson de nummers (‘Kwang Bass’ is er ook eentje uit die sessie) aan zijn blij verraste manager liet horen, zag die er wel een album in. ‘Toen moest ik als de wiedeweerga een paar nieuwe nummers schrijven voor die BBC sessie, want ik wilde natuurlijk niet mijn kruit verschieten.’

it doesn't translate that well inn Google Translate.

Sure, here you go:

"The first step towards Damogen Furies was more or less a coincidence. Jenkinson wrote the track 'Stor Eiglass' at his girlfriends house, as part of a BBC Radio 1 session. 'I really didn't feel like doing it. You know Radio 1. It's not fantastic. So I decided to make something entirely different, a few tracks that would fit together. But, when Jenkinson showcased the tracks ('Kwang Bass' was another one from that session) to his manager (who was positively suprised), he felt the material could very well turn into an entire album. 'So then I had to make some new tracks for that BBC session really fast, because now I didn't want to waste these'."

Thank you very much, Herr Jan! Very interesting to get his point of view on the soundcloud uploads by Aphex. Indeed, releasing a 10 CDs boxset would have changed our perception of the tracks, probably for the better. At the same time, by saying that, Tom is making it obvious that he is from another era. I'm not sure today's generation and the next ones will make a big difference between a physical boxet and a massive upload of tracks. He doesn't seem very excited about the soundcloud dump in fact and I don't get a feeling from his answer that he has any intent to follow in Aphex's and Mike's footsteps. A SQ boxset sounds more reasonable since he has 70% of his material that's still unreleased.

This might be a good spot to post the interviews Tom has done (I assume) for the new album.

The first one that I've seen was for a Dutch magazine 3voor12, so I translated it (bit hasty) for all you non-Dutchies. I've attached it to this post in .doc here or have a pastebin.

attachicon.gifSquarepusher.doc

Squarepusher%20damogen%20furies.jpg

Thank you very much, Herr Jan! Very interesting to get his point of view on the soundcloud uploads by Aphex. Indeed, releasing a 10 CDs boxset would have changed our perception of the tracks, probably for the better. At the same time, by saying that, Tom is making it obvious that he is from another era. I'm not sure today's generation and the next ones will make a big difference between a physical boxet and a massive upload of tracks. He doesn't seem very excited about the soundcloud dump in fact and I don't get a feeling from his answer that he has any intent to follow in Aphex's and Mike's footsteps. A SQ boxset sounds more reasonable since he has 70% of his material that's still unreleased.

No problem :)

I agree he probably wouldn't follow suit, not really his thing I guess. Rumour has it he was pretty anal about Rephlex pressing up those acid tracks for a test run, disapproving a proper release. He only plays them live and besides that wants to keep them to himself (and has every right to do so, not to come across as being entitled). Ah well, I would've said the same thing about Aphex before this whole dump deal, who would've ever expected that? He also just played them live, that's it.

But I have to add that the journo who did this interview later (on Twitter) spoke about how 'giddy' / excited Squarepusher got when this soundcloud topic was brought up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived