IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian (2x12")

Hugh Mughnus

Apparently there is a new Amon Tobin album in the works!

As per his webpage "Album recording in progress so no tours scheduled. Watch this space for one off appearances but don't hold your breath"

To stay in the loop Sign up for the mailing list"

PS does this qualify for a thread under new and upcoming releases or does there need to be an official announcement?

reed teh rules I know

I'm interested to see what he does after Isam, as that was a pretty big departure from his signature sound at least in my opinion.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ISAM was meh.

The tour was sensational though!

I was THIS close to driving 14 hours to see Tobin in the Isam 2.0 show but I couldn't get time off work.

I'm more interested in this upcoming release than Isam though for a number of reasons.

Isam was such a departure from his previous work that I'm honestly not sure where he's going. Is this going to be a return to form for him? Venture deeper into abstraction or experimentalism?

I'm not sure what to expect. I'm one of the minority that really enjoyed Isam though I can see why others didnt.

there won't be a release until 2015 at least, I think. this whole year will be studio work.

anyway yeah, ISAM was very clean and clinical but had no soul and ultimately no staying power. plz move on, Amon.

ISAM Tour was fucking awesome though.

also agree. the live show really brought more sense to the music. maybe it should have been envisioned as a DVD of collaborative music/visuals from the start instead of a standalone album.

It's has been said of ISAM already but yeah, concept was interesting but it lacked in execution. I personally think Foley Room was by far the more interesting and listenable of his field recording-centric albums.... I'd like to see him go back to focusing more on rhythms and grooves than the abstractions of the sound design, he's got a masterful sense of rhythm and it was completely lost on ISAM. I'd like to hear him combine the glitchy beat driven sounds of Out From Out Where with the abstractions of Foley Room/Isam if he can find the balance between the two sounds and drop the abstract dubsteppy sound it could be truly great.

It's has been said of ISAM already but yeah, concept was interesting but it lacked in execution. I personally think Foley Room was by far the more interesting and listenable of his field recording-centric albums.... I'd like to see him go back to focusing more on rhythms and grooves than the abstractions of the sound design, he's got a masterful sense of rhythm and it was completely lost on ISAM. I'd like to hear him combine the glitchy beat driven sounds of Out From Out Where with the abstractions of Foley Room/Isam if he can find the balance between the two sounds and drop the abstract dubsteppy sound it could be truly great.

I'm one of the few I think that enjoy ISAM. But I have to agree with the vast majority that it's probably his worst album. Everything you've said here is spot on. I miss his crazy rhythms. He's mastered some sound design aspects that I think would be really awesome if he applied to his older styles, but I sadly think we're going to be disappointed if we expect this to happen.

I don't think most "artists" "return to form", so to speak. Pushing boundaries blah blah blah.

I don't know.

boom

Well I actually preferred ISAM as Foley Room, but that could be the consequence of me being in a post-adolescent-Amon-Tobin-fanboy phase when Foley Room came out, and this album kind of disappointed me because I found it far from the groovy and solid atmospheres of the firsts albums (Bricolage and Permutation being my favorites by far). Foley Room was clearly less musical for me, I had the feeling it showed off too much with this field recording thing, in a kitsch way somehow. I had not much expectations when ISAM came out and barely listen to Amon Tobin anymore, and I was actually quite surprised by it. The mixing can be weird (lacks of low med I find, making it quite harsh to listen too) but I like how it experiments.

Well ok I should listen to Foley Room again one of these days

I'd like to hear him combine the glitchy beat driven sounds of Out From Out Where with the abstractions of Foley Room/Isam if he can find the balance between the two sounds and drop the abstract dubsteppy sound it could be truly great.

It's called the Splinter Cell soundtrack!

Anyway, ISAM was basically 1 hour of Transformer robot sound effects. No soul IDM wankery fake-ass "it's digital but the sounds are aliiiiive!". Sounds appear and disappear but you cannot understand the reasoning behind them, there is no cohesion. This is from the guy who created Permutation FFS.

I'd like to hear him combine the glitchy beat driven sounds of Out From Out Where with the abstractions of Foley Room/Isam if he can find the balance between the two sounds and drop the abstract dubsteppy sound it could be truly great.

It's called the Splinter Cell soundtrack!

Anyway, ISAM was basically 1 hour of Transformer robot sound effects. No soul IDM wankery fake-ass "it's digital but the sounds are aliiiiive!". Sounds appear and disappear but you cannot understand the reasoning behind them, there is no cohesion. This is from the guy who created Permutation FFS.

The artwork that came with it gave it context actually.

Exactly. This is all I can think when I see or hear Amon Tobin now. The ISAM live show completely turned me off to check out anything else by him, a soulless IDM stadium rockshow playing ambient and non-interesting sounds but the whole audience is rocking like it's a Kiss show. But even when Amon Tobin did a simple plain DJ-set, it still sucked so I guess we grew apart and I should just crawl back to 1998 and just listen to Permutation and Bricolage and leave this thread now, ok bye.

I guess it's the same argument over and over again: Incunabula was the best Ae album ever, Squarepusher is sucking since HND, Aphex has lost his guts etc. etc.

Just stay openminded. I appreciate everything Amon Tobin has done so far. He is one who can actually keep up the quality and variety of his output imho. But - just as the artists mentioned above - he requires you to move on, to develop and never stand still. And he is a f+++ing great sound engineer.

Actually I couldn't be arsed about another Bricolage album for example.

Yeah but you assume there can be a difference between saying "please Go Plastic 2" and "Bricolage was better than ISAM" don't you ?

kAuMUaS.jpg

If I could make a side of WATMM disappear, it would be by far the endless discussions whether a given album is good or bad, because I don't think there are "good" or "bad" albums, but tastes and people discovering a given album at a given time of their lives.

Sometimes I really want hard to say why I love or dislike an album, and almost every time I do it I regret it because it sounds so vain.

Seriously tho, the greater travesty of isam was not that it sucked (for reasons already well described) but that he doubled-down on it with that ridiculous box set that was like 75% isam-related material (condolences to any watmmer who bought it)

Archived