IGNORED

Potential vinyl release

granty

I’m conducting a sort of crowd-funded experiment with a short-run vinyl pressing service, to get 100 x 7” singles pressed for my next release.

It’s a 30-day campaign where you can preorder to buy the vinyl [without paying anything upfront] then if the preorder goal of 100 is met, the record is pressed and then you get charged for your order; If the goal is not met you are not charged at all.

Preordering will grant you instant access to digital downloads of the tracks – which won’t be made available to anybody else until I receive the vinyls [up to 12 weeks later], which I will then dispatch to everyone.

I’m not making any money from this - I’m doing it purely as an experiment, a viability test in distributing my music via a physical medium for the first time.

The 30-day campaign is officially live today [sunday 10th May].

Here’s a link to listen to the tracks and preorder the vinyl:

Thanks for reading this far – if you know of anyone who may be interested, pass it on. If you have any questions, give me a shout and I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers :beer:

2 days in and I've got 14 preorders so far - which is good but it's not going to continue like that, these are all preorders from friends and supporters [who own record players]. This is where it gets difficult I guess.

I've spoken to a couple of local DJs but a lot of them use CDs or digital these days - so it's a case of finding people who are into this sort of music, who purchase vinyl.

Does anyone have any suggestions on people or places I could go to promote this? I was thinking of trying a Facebook sponsored post to people who follow certain artists, who also like vinyl - though I'm not sure the demographic controls are that granular and creepy.

Any suggestions much appreciated. If I could get to at least 80 of the goal of 100 preorders I'll buy the rest myself. I'm going to head down to my local record shop today to see if they'd stock a few then pay me afterwards if they manage to sell them.

For info I'll keep posting updates in here for the duration of the project, for anyone who's interested :mu-ziq:

So, no more preorders today and my £5 Facebook sponsored ad campaign has done fuck all. Even if I make a big song and dance about it at my next gig it ain't happening, realistically. Moral of the story: never try and don't get ideas above your station.

dang man, just per-ordered a copy there - don't give up hope!

Maybe put on a gig, get a few popular electronic bands and have the entry fee cover the cost of a pre-order (you could add up how many people paid in and pre-order X amount after the gig yourself, would take the stress/hassle off people for pre-ordering)

Not a fan of 7"'s but I have pre-ordered too! Plus, you still have 23 days so there's plenty of time.

And even if it does fail, at least you're not left with a huge stack of records you can't sell on. Better to fail in not getting the stock than to have the stock and fail to move it on. IMO, anyway, not much of a consolation lol.

Thanks for the support folks, that's mighty nice of you, very much appreciated :) I think I'll probably get a few more preorders from my next gig, which I can't really charge for because its not my night - but I might leave a few flyers or something lying around to advertise it.

The whole promotion thing doesn't come naturally to me though I have to say. There's something about advertising yourself that makes you look like you rave off yourself, making you look and feel like a massive bell end in the process. Its also an untrustworthy source of information, which is why you need other people endorsing and promoting on your behalf. Add to that, if you visibly fail, you like a loser as well as a bell end lol.

I'm going to keep doing it though, but try and get other people to promote it instead. A couple of record stores said they'd stock it on a sale-or-return basis too, so that's something to aim for.

Thanks again for the preorders!

After many years of promoting stuff and failing, I feel your woes deeply. I am of the opinion that the only self-promotion that works is to send stuff to big names and hope they like it enough to retweet/promote it for you. Adverts and shit don't work, unless you're already established imo. But someone who has an audience and says 'hey, I like this over here' works best. Of course, getting those people to listen, who already have long enough lists of shit to hear is another problem in itself... :catbleed:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I like the tunes, this being the reason I put up dollars. It sounded like I was buying it purely for numbers, as if some kind of pity purchase and not because I dug the tunes, so just wanted to clarify. So...I guess self-promotion does work on a minor level. :nacmat:

Guest skibby

an endearing publicity stunt or spectacular gimmick always worked for the great ones in the past. need talky interviewy types with cameras and such.

I'd like to get a generator and a PA and do a live set somewhere mad, in a forest or a deserted building or something. Don't think I've got the cojones for that though.

Update: Qrates have my project featured on their homepage - even though they said they didn't offer that as a service. They added it today and I've had 3 preorders off the back of it, so definitely worth asking for...

I've been debating using this all day. But I think I'll wait until we release the "Right" release before we go forward with this service. I like this service. I just think with how people are, they'd be like "oh this is cool!" But won't lift a finger to contribute.

I've been debating using this all day. But I think I'll wait until we release the "Right" release before we go forward with this service. I like this service. I just think with how people are, they'd be like "oh this is cool!" But won't lift a finger to contribute.

It's like Facebook likes: 500 people will like the post but only five will buy the bloody thing. I remember it happening on Venetian Snares account, where he offered up some old 7"'s for sale on bandcamp but only thirty people paid.

Yeah same here. When I put the feelers out everyone was like 'do it dude I'll buy it!!' but when you ask people to part with cold hard cash they go quiet. I think you need to generate a bit of buzz with live shows or press or reviews - or at least get a hardcore dedicated following - before it'll work. Easier said than done though.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: these nice DJ guys from Manchester liked it and included it with a plug in their mix [about 1:07 in] https://www.mixcloud.com/andrew-jefferson/sounds-of-eighty-six-volume-29/

I tried to plug it at a gig last night but nobody paid any attention.

The guy who hosts our local BBC Introducing show is going to play and give it a mention on tomorrow's show.

Still don't think I'll make the goal though. Hey ho.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, 76 copies in two days...it would be a miracle to happen now :nacmat:

Gave it a good try anyway mang, better 24 people signing up than none at all. Small comfort I suppose...

Yeah, 76 copies in two days...it would be a miracle to happen now :nacmat:

Gave it a good try anyway mang, better 24 people signing up than none at all. Small comfort I suppose...

Yeah, live and learn! It's been an interesting experiment, it's taught me that while a lot of people 'support' you, only a fraction of them actually listen to and enjoy your music - the rest are just people who wish you well. I haven't got a problem with that though, I'm really flattered that 25 people would be willing to part with their hard earned cash to buy a record that they probably don't have a turntable to spin it on...

I've got the email addresses of everyone who preordered the record anyway (including you Bechuga! :beer: ) - so by way of thanks I'll send out an advance private download link to the whole EP. Sorry you didn't get any vinyl chief, maybe next time :music:

I've just checked, youre not charged if the vinyl isn't pressed. They start a transaction to confirm you can actually make the payment when the time comes, but that transaction should have been cancelled today. Did you get an email from qrates saying as much?

Bummer it didn't turn out the way you were hoping but this is a cool platform and a worthwhile experiment. I like the tracks you were putting out too.

Bummer it didn't turn out the way you were hoping but this is a cool platform and a worthwhile experiment. I like the tracks you were putting out too.

Cheers mate, it was fun to do - it'll be a better service when they add the option to mail direct to customers in a few weeks... I'll add a free EP download link in this forum in the near future, for anyone who's interested.

Archived