IGNORED

Katana made from 450-million-year-old meteorite @ Tokyo Skytree

ambermonk

It is thought that humans’ first encounter with iron was meteorite iron – before the invention of smelting, meteoric iron was already being used to to make weapons and tools, including those owned by Inuit tribes first encountered by explorers in the early 1800s.

That's pretty badass.

African_monolith_2001.jpg

its almost like a piece of loot youd find in a final fantasy game, but only in the game itd be able to slash down a big ass ogre in one swipe, but irl it might not be any better than a sword you can buy at walmart, who knows

its almost like a piece of loot youd find in a final fantasy game, but only in the game itd be able to slash down a big ass ogre in one swipe, but irl it might not be any better than a sword you can buy at walmart, who knows

I'd like to think Walmart sells swords...

I'd like to think Walmart sells swords...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minecraft-Sword/30961544

Neat. Loads of ancient stuff was probably made from meteorite iron since it's so easy to work with (don't have to smelt it etc). The date sounds dodgy though, it's almost definitely 4500 million years old not 450

I will admit that I haven't seen any evidence that the sword's been physically tested. It could shatter on impact with a brick wall for all we know.

the picture in that article is criminally small.

Yeah apologies for that. But Phoenix helped us out with that problem, cheers btw

Here I am about 16 months ago:

watmm_me-sword-jan-2014.jpg

Glad to see my new meteorite katana is finished. You pay these Japanese master craftsmen a few million dollars to custom make you a sword to IDM spec, and they take ages on that shit like a stoner doing homework. This is Japanese sword making, dude, not fucking completing an epic album to finally get you properly signed to a label.

We may never know who the smith was who crafted the Tentetsutou. Maybe it was forged in some top secret lab, or maybe it was by some hermit in the countryside.

But if anyone does know, please keep the secret to yourself.

Archived