IGNORED

USB interface or computer audio input

Guest kymppinetti

Guest kymppinetti

Short noobish question here: do you guys prefer recording via USB audio interface or do you just connect mixer audio out into computer audio in etc. and that way record your, what ever you record? Why do you use the other? Or are you into both ways? If you know what I mean.

In advance, thank you for you replices. If I get any that is. :)

as soon as i got my first firewire/usb soundcard i dont think i ever returned back to just using the 1/8th inch line in on my laptop ever again. The quality is usually worse and a lot of laptops (especially PC) have noise issues when plugged into AC power (with effects the line input and the line output).

Guest kymppinetti

i should have guessed, thanks. say: if i'm to buy USB interface, what model you would suggest? for example what are you using?

edit: also seems like i don't even have an audio input in my laptop. lol

i'm using focusrite saffire pro 24. pretty cool interface imo. there are also usb-versions.

i mix everything on mackie mixer and record whole mix via 2 (of 4) saffire's inputs.

when i had only few hw synths i used 4 of it's inputs and mixed everything in renoise.

gonna try behringer's ADA8000 to have 8 inputs in the future.

in my experience firewire cards seem to work better on a mac platform and usb soundcards usually work fine on both. I guess with USb 3.0 you can get faster speeds/lower latency but ive pretty much been sticking with the Motu line of firewire interfaces for the last 5 years. They are solid looking and feeling but my only issue with them has been the mic pres seem to die very easily. For only having it 2 years mic inputs 1 and 2 both sound extremely hissy now, like the sound of a broken mic preamp when i barely used it at all.

Guest kymppinetti

thank you guys, much appreciate. it seems you'll have to place somewhere in 400e-500e to get a decent one, and i would like to get a decent one.

i have a really cheap (200e) build in usb interface in my behringer mixer. the sound is quite messy in it, and i'm thinking of selling it. i don't like it at all.

so if i'm to get an interface and a new mixer that's like 1000e there damn. or more. :D well whatever.

SALUTE

you might want to consider getting a more pimped out mixer that does USB, but in the $300 range most of them only do 2 channel stereo out into a computer (they basically just take the main stereo mixing bus and use it as ins 1 & 2 like a soundcard). How many inputs are you hoping to have by the way?

Guest kymppinetti

you might want to consider getting a more pimped out mixer that does USB, but in the $300 range most of them only do 2 channel stereo out into a computer (they basically just take the main stereo mixing bus and use it as ins 1 & 2 like a soundcard). How many inputs are you hoping to have by the way?

in the mixer? not much: four could do it, or even less. i'm not going to use it in a band or anything, just myself alone, all alone. ooor i could imagen that there would be small decent mixer with usb interface in it. that could cost less, but the sound would suffer.

or not. i don't know haha

when you say "USB audio interface or do you just connect mixer audio out into computer audio in", if by 'computer audio in' you're talking about laptops, and the built in at the factory audio input(s) on that, that's not really a fair comparison to usb audio. at that point you're comparing some cheap built in audio input to an expensive usb thing you have to buy separately. there are pretty good soundcards (RME stuff for one) you can buy to put into desktops, which can offer you more comparable audio quality to any of the usb things. then at that point there are pros and cons to each. im not an expert or trying to sound like one on this and this kind of thing seems to often be a crapshoot with compatibility (as JE mentioned with the firewire vs usb thing). but my main point is that of course a pricey usb external thing is going to be better than built in laptop audio. its comparing apples to pocket lint.

Guest kymppinetti

yes, thank you for clarifying this. the issue is well answered now. this all started from another thread from another forum. they were comparing the two, and were more positive about just using the old method: computers audio in. the post was kind of old (just realized that), and the technology has move far forward from those times.

but it's preatty obvious now: if there is a separeted hardware designed to produce quality sound, it's always better than giveaway sort, in this case the computer audio in jack.

Any decent usb interfaces with loads of lines in? Specifically 1/4 inch jacks, at least 10.

I have an old soundcard with 10 ins/outs (m audio delta 1010) it's perfect for me but it's an old PCI card, new pcs no longer come with a PCI slot. Recently had an issue with my pc where the power supply broke and took the mobo with it, had to spend a bit getting it fixed cos no new pcs would take the soundcard, made me think I should look for a future proof USB replacement.

Any suggestions? Min 10 lines in/out, midi /out is all I really need, don't need mic lines or pres (my mixer has a couple if ever need to use)

Almost ANY usb interface is better then computers' 1/8 audio imput. i had M-Audio FastTrack Pro with a USB 1.1 port (imagine who old is that!) and even that card was MUCH better sounding then the computer imput of my MBP.

Archived