IGNORED

Vote On Your Favourite User18081971 Tracks!

Joyrex

I have a really hard time with this and always end up giving up! haha. I really love "Suzanne" but dont think it would fit right next tothe others... gonna try to think of this without thinking of how they will be organized tho.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked my 30 and was happy with it but been playing the Solid Steel Radio Mix and it's full of tunes I like but didn't pick.

Some of these tracks sound better in the mix.

aargh, i'm really trying to get my shit together and come up with a final 30 tracks but it's neigh on impossible.

my excuse for today is a rediscovery of "syro". that album is a masterpiece and it didn't dawn on me until now.

14 votes for mullberry bush and 8 for nutcrapper

x-rays got 7 votes

wow

this is going well

lol

Yeah there's loads of great tracks getting left out like

tribaltronics

backdrop trigger

1.5 dp5 beats

dsb

bimbongo

suzanne

leeds orbit

xame filtered

world waver

dronebreak

red alert

sallyvingoe

etc, etc.

14 votes for mullberry bush and 8 for nutcrapper

x-rays got 7 votes

wow

this is going well

lol

Yeah there's loads of great tracks getting left out like

tribaltronics

backdrop trigger

1.5 dp5 beats

dsb

bimbongo

suzanne

leeds orbit

xame filtered

world waver

dronebreak

red alert

sallyvingoe

etc, etc.

We have to be the change we want to see in the voters. But to b honest I doubt it'll make much difference at this point, the frontrunners are set in stone and the ones at the bottom don't seem to stand a chance. A lot of us are posting "so and so needs more votes!" but I guess we'd be lucky to get those songs 3 or 4 extra votes max, the rest are just from "once and done" voters, and I suppose there's nowt wrong with that either.

So, the real answer is - Just release it all, 20 Vinyls and a Shit Smothered EP on cassette. Nice!

Especially ACH.

I need to own this on vinyl.

Yeah, sounds massive on a good system! Triple-d as well, can only imagine how these tracks sound live.

i'm surprised you lot aren't discussing improvements that can be made to the voting system rather than just going 'ah well, that's it i guess'.

the 'top30' vote was only ever intended to be the first type of vote. but the site can have other polls. i'm currently implementing a completely seperate "page" of votes (at rdj's request... taking longer than envisaged though, yay work taking up most of my time), but i can fairly easily mix the rules up a bit as i've made it much more dynamic.

here are some ideas - i would love community feedback tho as I can't implement everything -

* the private for-rdj-eyes-only "top tracks" vote (which i am currently implementing)

* allowing multiple votes on a track - so there are 30 total votes, you can spend all 30 on one track if you want

* having another top 30 that resets once a month, and records the results

* allowing people to import their own soundcloud playlists of organised user18081971 tracks, and vote on the best playlists

* as an alternative to the above, having watmm curate this list of 228 into 5 or 6 seperate playlists, and having a seperate vote on each of those (so a certain style of track doesn't dominate)

guys, what would turn this into an awesome voting tool? this is an entirely custom platform so within reason i can implement anything.

Edited by xf

Good work xf

I like the idea of using multiple votes from the thirty. This is effectively a 'weighting' of tracks. This could dramatically change the results but reflect the fact that voters feel particularly strong about certain tracks.

Edited by CroydonCaptainJack

All of those suggestions sound quite interesting xf, great to see it's still being tinkered with. I think the separate list that resets once a month sounds cool , but I wonder how many people would remember to go back and re-vote every month, might be left with a handful of people doing it. Multiple votes on a track also sounds like a very useful tool.

As far as suggestions go - how about a separate list containing only the "bottom 120" from the main list, with maybe only 5 - 10 votes per user. That could bring out some interesting results for the "lesser loved" tracks.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work maniton!

* re: playlists it might be useful to implement a 'comments section,' as it was alluded to & which soundcloud currently lacks. Also useful for any group curations and could be optional.

* I think it would be better to delay rolling out multiple votes on 1 track option once there's a larger number of total votes in the poll. 30 votes on a track from 1 person still seems like too large a skew. Another way would just be to reduce it from 30 now and/or increase it based on increasing total votes.

Edited by Croeso i Croton

I'd not allow for 30 votes on one track, maybe allow 5. Comments are a good idea, been thinking a lot about that - SC's comment system leaves a lot to be decided

Is there any reason that the vote numbers are shown to people before they vote? This information will change people's opinions before they vote.

Because it makes the voting far more interesting than having it blind, and I theorised that it would probably lead to more representative votes as it would encourage people to discuss between theirselves what the current high votes are.

It's one thing to make an initial vote, its another to have a realization when a track you really love isn't getting attention.

Note that a second different type of poll will be launched in the next few days which is not public.

Edited by xf

Something I think I may do is implement a vote reset every two months (and have it email everybody to come again for another round) if there is enough interest.

The votes all get saved on another page, but it stops tracks dominating an existing list and I could optionally do a blind vote for a round.

The final top30 is made up by combining several of the rounds together.

Of course I might be needlessly overcomplicating this - I'm just sure there are ways of improving this to get more interesting results

I think you are underestimating the effort it takes to pick 30 tracks out of 228. I'm not gonna have my votes ready for at least another month or two. Having a reset is just discouraging.

To be clear, the reset (this isn't even a thing yet, purely discussing ideas) isn't permanent as in the votes are lost - they just get saved and a new voting round starts. I'd implement appropriate weighting based on the rounds voted in.

I'm personally not convinced a simple.vote like the way it is now is going to be representative once this thing gets wider exposure - hence encouraging discussing improvements

Feel free to shoot down my ideas as terrible, this is why I am inviting input :)

btw: I haven't even voted yet myself so I assure you I understand how non trivial picking 30 is haha

Edited by xf

i'm surprised you lot aren't discussing improvements that can be made to the voting system rather than just going 'ah well, that's it i guess'.

That's also a sign that everyone seems really content with it up to this point though, so credits there man!

Anyway, I'm all for the idea to give multiple points to a track, that was suggested a few times before too I think :)

The monthly reset seems like overdoing it a bit to me, especially now that he has stopped uploading for the coming time. Beyond that, I'm missing a bit of direction in the poll. That's completely understandable, I know it's just an indication for Aphex to make compiling somewhat easier but that maybe makes it less engaging for some? Maybe it would be fun if you could select tracks that you'd especially like to have released on vinyl or CD or really want EQ'ed (just spouting ideas now). Like how Rephlex selected the best DJ tracks for the vinyl release next to the CD's (with EOD's releases for example).

On top of the list of my OCD fueled desires are playlists based upon eras (in years or in terms of place: Lannerlog, Clissold, Bank, ...etc.), on which you can then place votes in each era.

So the way I *was* working on this was to leave the current top30 the hell alone indefinitely, as the default poll that loads, and have a "other polls" option that let us experiment with alternative ideas (including playlist voting).

Sounds like I should stick with that? Is the general consensus that the current top30 is working or needs further changes to work better (current ideas being allowing multiple votes, etc)?

Edited by xf

has the new influx of voters made any difference to the top 30? have most of them even finished voting?

There are close to twice the amount of signed up accounts than those who have voted. Many are yet to vote!

I'm happy for the top 30 to be left alone. I've shortlisted my favourites to just under 60 tracks and the top 28 haven't changed at all with the last 2 selections floating. If we weighted the votes that would surely mean picking less than 30? I wouldn't be too keen on that tbh.

I like the playlist by date/era and voting for the top picks in each. After all, it's an afx through the ages event so why not take a look at sifting through that stage by stage?

I left off a lot of the earlier tracks in my votes, would be nice to have a separate playlist just for those ones. I think there's more than enough top-notch material in there for two separate releases (of double albums!), SAW-ICBYD era tracks on one, and the more recent stuff on the other. If it was just limited to one release I'd be more inclined to stick with latter era stuff, as the earlier stuff sounds mostly fine the way it is (the low quality on some of them is more a feature than a bug in a way), the latter stuff is more deserving of a proper mastering IMHO.

It would be good to get the better tracks, regardless of era, out into the world though, these things deserve to be heard and as it stands I know plenty of people (who are into afx generally) who haven't heard any of the tracks, and a few weren't even aware this was a thing.

I suppose it depends on what his motivation for doing a release is, might also depend on whether he plans to release other unreleased tracks that he held off uploading to the soundcloud (think he mentioned something about that a few times, as well as a polygon window 2).