IGNORED

Vote On Your Favourite User18081971 Tracks!

Joyrex

i'm surprised you lot aren't discussing improvements that can be made to the voting system rather than just going 'ah well, that's it i guess'.

the 'top30' vote was only ever intended to be the first type of vote. but the site can have other polls. i'm currently implementing a completely seperate "page" of votes (at rdj's request... taking longer than envisaged though, yay work taking up most of my time), but i can fairly easily mix the rules up a bit as i've made it much more dynamic.

here are some ideas - i would love community feedback tho as I can't implement everything -

* the private for-rdj-eyes-only "top tracks" vote (which i am currently implementing)

* allowing multiple votes on a track - so there are 30 total votes, you can spend all 30 on one track if you want

* having another top 30 that resets once a month, and records the results

* allowing people to import their own soundcloud playlists of organised user18081971 tracks, and vote on the best playlists

* as an alternative to the above, having watmm curate this list of 228 into 5 or 6 seperate playlists, and having a seperate vote on each of those (so a certain style of track doesn't dominate)

guys, what would turn this into an awesome voting tool? this is an entirely custom platform so within reason i can implement anything.

I am all for the multiple votes.

I don't really understand what the use is of having the bimonthly reset? Why would anybody vote for other tracks the next month? If it all gets added up I doubt there will be siginificant changes to the end result. To me that seems a bit too much.

Voting on playlists would be nice. Maybe rdj could make some playlists for the users to vote for based on the top 50 tracks or something like that.

Good work by the way, we appreciate all that you are doing!

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XF, how tough would it be to make a separate page for a "Rate as many as you like from 1 to 228" system where a user could pick one SC playlist to be used as a ranking tool? Suppose you have many users' "My Favorite SC Trax" playlists imported to your platform, where the playlists are sorted in descending order from favorite to least-favorite - users could rank as many or as few tracks as they like (up to SC's 200-displayable limit). Could you grab the specific position of each track from each playlist and tally a global rank from that? Maybe it would be even easier to implement a track-sorting UI natively on your platform rather than rely on SC playlists.

Here is my playlist - I ranked my top 100 favorites in descending order. If I were to rate all 228 on a scale of 1-to-5, this top 100 playlist would represent all the tracks I consider to be at least "three stars" or better.

https://soundcloud.com/jsmcpn/sets/afx-top-100

Edited by jsmcpn

Guest cult fiction

The top tracks seem pretty definitive to me, I don't think any mixing up of voting method is going to shake up the results much because for the most part the strongest overall tracks are in the top 30% already.

I really think a few rough categories, by era i.e. early(<94??) mid(94-00) late(00-on), or by rough style would help group up the tracks into more attractive compilations and cause some of the gems that are currently overshadowed by the late era tracks bubble up to the top.

Alternatively allowing users to vote on track position for the SAW 1.5 or SOSW 2 would be sweet

The top tracks seem pretty definitive to me, I don't think any mixing up of voting method is going to shake up the results much because for the most part the strongest overall tracks are in the top 30% already.

I really think a few rough categories, by era i.e. early(<94??) mid(94-00) late(00-on), or by rough style would help group up the tracks into more attractive compilations and cause some of the gems that are currently overshadowed by the late era tracks bubble up to the top.

Alternatively allowing users to vote on track position for the SAW 1.5 or SOSW 2 would be sweet

Reading a lot of the comments it does sometimes seem like there is little interest in the early back catalogue compared to the later stuff. A lot of the harder UI/CW stuff is miles off the silkier recent tunes. I'd be interested in voting within group blocks determined by date.

Also, just out of interest, I'd be keen to see where SAW 1.5 fits into the current voting list at a glance.

i voted a few days ago and i gotta say, the moment i saw that i could see how many votes each track got, i knew it would influence my votes. and it did. i tried to zoom in on the page in my browser to cut off the vote # so i couldn't see it, but i had to zoom back out to vote and i would then see it and the other tracks above/below, and sometimes i would just not deal with that so i ended up seeing some of the votes.

if a track had a lot of votes already, seemed to be a sure thing, i sometimes changed my mind about voting for it, figured my vote could do better somewhere else. in other cases the opposite was true.

i just think if the votes were invisible, people would've been forced to actually just pick the tracks THEY LIKE.

i don't even think play counts or comments should be visible on that list. just my 2 cents.

other than that i think you did a good job setting it all up.

oh yeah, one other thing i noticed-

why are the tracks which are contenders for surfing on sine waves 2 (the ones in rich's playlist for it) in this list? if they have a decent chance of being released on that, it seems to me like voting on those tracks here, is like throwing a vote away. maybe if a track on his sosw2 playlist doesn't make it onto sosw2, then it could still go here but i doubt it'd get left off sosw2 if its a worthy track anyway. and rich could always step in and pick a few tracks himself if he thinks something slipped through the cracks somehow.

also there was at least one or two tracks which were already released, example being the 'japan' track. to me, the main benefit of a track getting released out of this batch is that it gets maybe a better transfer and then also mastered. the japan track already got that. besides the fact that its a remix of some other bands'/musicians' track (i can't remember which at the moment). i dunno, imo that and any of the others that got released (also including the one from AB5 because it sounds almost exactly the same and the rip of AB5 floating around sounds pretty nice already), shouldn't be on whatever release comes from this vote, and by extension, shouldn't be on the vote. but thats just imo i guess.

I asked rich about excluding tracks and the answer was no. I'm aiming on a new version of the site to go up this weekend which will have a new private vote - made some comments on this a few posts back.

I think I'll leave the existing top30 vote alone and just add new polls with new vote options.

Playlist voting definitely happening too (it'll pull in playlists from SoundCloud - future playlist functionality is one of the reasons I tied it to SoundCloud logins).

Site already works independent of SoundCloud for the voting, except for the inbuilt player. There are alternative solutions to that but they'll shoot up hosting costs a bit (mirroring the files on s3 and playing from there).

Edited by xf

yeh tbh i hadn't looked at this thread in a while so apologies if some of the stuff i mentioned was already addressed, i didn't wanna read a million posts to catch up. but i did look a bit after posting and saw you talking about other private polls and the monthly reset idea, and other things based on things rich said to you. that gives me an idea that rich is putting more thought into it than just a simple vote for a simple release, but that maybe instead there could be multiple rounds of voting to really narrow it down, and make sure the end product(s) is quality. which to me seems like a good thing.

i noticed how when i was voting, i was partly thinking of it as 'what would work on an album' instead of just picking the tracks i liked best. the HAB/RDJ type tracks just don't seem like theyd fit on a release with the older AB/CW/GAK/strider/etc type tracks (as mentioned by others). so maybe having multiple rounds of voting or whatever could be used to zoom in on not only what tracks are favored, but also which ones go together best etc, and i feel like thats what rich (and you) are kind of aiming for. nice, good job!

All good - I reckon I'll add a FAQ section or something too to give more info about the whole thing. You're right, an overwhelming amount of info here to wade through.

The feedback is appreciated!

Edited by xf

pretend analog 2b

Bradleys Echoes

Medievil Rave Pt 2

phukup2 (Ae inspired sound)

Metal gate

Not a definitive top 5 by any means, but a lush one nonetheless :cattears:

as an aside - if anybody here has organised parts of the soundcloud dump into their own soundcloud playlists, could you message me the link (or heck, even paste here for others)? have some new functionality i want to play with.

Edited by xf

as an aside - if anybody here has organised parts of the soundcloud dump into their own soundcloud playlists, could you message me the link (or heck, even paste here for others)? have some new functionality i want to play with.

The last one has a few fan-mixes, which might be useful for testing if you want to add a func() to filter out ineligible tracks.

http://soundcloud.com/jsmcpn/sets/afx-top-100

http://soundcloud.com/jsmcpn/sets/afx-playlist-bubbable

http://soundcloud.com/jsmcpn/sets/afx-playlist-donkeyscare

http://soundcloud.com/jsmcpn/sets/afx-playlist-ventolin-1-5

http://soundcloud.com/jsmcpn/sets/afx-playlist-ctrdj
Edited by jsmcpn

Guest temp1

Wow. I have missed this completely. ;)

Checked in on soundcloud and saw the link. Ofcourse i had to vote!! In time.

Tough. But im not suprised that my favorite tracks are allot of others favorites... (Even thou some favorite allot of other tracks ofcourse.)

This is awesome. I voted my 30 tracks right now, but this is just my opinion. ;)

I might go and change a few later on. Unsure.

Just picked these in random order. ;)

19 Ssnb 14 07 B 11 Donkey Rhubarb Remix 18 With My Family 1 nocares 7 ?ƒ? [rough mix] 11 Slo Bird Whistle[peel Sesh] 14 Make A Baby 35 Japan 28 organ 4 Red Calx[slo] 19 [slo]w early morning clissold sunrise luke vibert spiral staircase [future music competition] [afx remix] (watery big ez) 14 Floating? [swimming in god mix] 5 heliosphan live 4 Acid Organ (HAB un23)(unfinished) 5 Scorrier [101 rainbows] 5 just fall asleep 18 SsbA medievil rave Mk2 [pre plague mix] 3 slothscrape 24 Tsim 2 34 ibiza spliff 10 Inthesky 18 1974 94 [8? concentration mix] 14 Cornish Spreek5b [st. Nectan S Glen Waterfalls Mix] Pretend Analog Extmix 2b Nightmail 1

Awesome that you made this thread! Thanks!

Really hard to choose from all those tracks. I might change a few tomorrow. But its just one opinion, so i dont know if it matters.

But the thought of my, or peoples favorite tracks that can get a possible release. I dont know what to say.

Im gratefull of whatever tracks get released, and will buy it instantly. If there might be a release of this soundcloud bunch...

I have not even had a time to digest it all. Kinda. ;) A couple of tracks i have missed...

Anyways. These are my votes, right now atleast.

Edited by temp1

Guest temp1
Hmm. I dont know how i could have missed... 8 utopia. :cerious:

Its really good. I have listened to every other track.

And i made changes. 8 utopia instead of inthesky...

Wierd. I dont know how i changed that title in my head of some track i did not like as much...

Inthesky, is really good. But when i heard utopia for the first time now. If i will change one song in my list, its inthesky... Perhaps.

Even thou i like it allot. (Plus the instruments reminds me of girl/boy song, which was one of the first songs i ever heard of aphex twin a long time ago. ;) *nostalgia*)

Dont know why i even comment on the subject. I just discovered one track that i missed...Which is really good!

Will have to listen through it some more tomorrow. But i got many many more years of listening through all of this music. ;)

17-18 hours of music. Its easy to confuse one track with another. Nice track. (Thnx for this thread, pardon my rambling.) Time to sleeeep. ;)

*spacetime continuum*

Wierd. I dont know how i changed that title in my head of some track i did not like as much...
Inthesky, is really good. But when i heard utopia for the first time now. If i will change one song in my list, its inthesky... Perhaps.
Even thou i like it allot. (Plus the instruments reminds me of girl/boy song, which was one of the first songs i ever heard of aphex twin a long time ago. ;) *nostalgia*)
Dont know why i even comment on the subject. I just discovered one track that i missed...Which is really good!
Will have to listen through it some more tomorrow. But i got many many more years of listening through all of this music. ;)
17-18 hours of music. Its easy to confuse one track with another. Nice track. (Thnx for this thread, pardon my rambling.) Time to sleeeep. ;)
*spacetime continuum*

I love Inthesky. Defo top 30 for me.

hey guys, i'm after some testers for the new version, particularly around how easy it is to use. no functional playlist functionality yet but a few new bits + pieces.

message me if interested in providing feedback :)

Edited by xf

I asked rich about excluding tracks and the answer was no. I'm aiming on a new version of the site to go up this weekend which will have a new private vote - made some comments on this a few posts back.

I think I'll leave the existing top30 vote alone and just add new polls with new vote options.

Playlist voting definitely happening too (it'll pull in playlists from SoundCloud - future playlist functionality is one of the reasons I tied it to SoundCloud logins).

Site already works independent of SoundCloud for the voting, except for the inbuilt player. There are alternative solutions to that but they'll shoot up hosting costs a bit (mirroring the files on s3 and playing from there).

Let me know if moving this to WATMM's server would help (in addition to the hosting the tracks in case SC goes kaput)

Guest temp1

*spacetime continuum*

I love Inthesky. Defo top 30 for me.

Yeah. Its nice. ;) (I decided to put it in, cause i like it.)
But well, its hard to choose like 30 favorite tracks...
I have not even digested all of this music. It will take atleast a year, or something. ;)
It was very late when i last wrote on here. And i made that list quite quick..
And i used both Ssnb and SsbA...
Was just gonna be SsbA. I like that one more. But i like both.
Well, i cant choose "my ultimate list" right now, but for the moment..
Just a couple of tracks i really like and love, in random order:
8 Utopia
14 07 B
11 Donkey Rhubarb Remix
18 With My Family
1 nocares
7 ?ƒ? [rough mix]
11 Slo Bird Whistle[peel Sesh]
14 Make A Baby
35 Japan
28 organ
4 Red Calx[slo]
19 [slo]w early morning clissold sunrise
luke vibert spiral staircase [future music competition] [afx remix]
(watery big ez)
14 Floating? [swimming in god mix]
5 heliosphan live
4 Acid Organ
(HAB un23)(unfinished)
5 Scorrier [101 rainbows]
5 just fall asleep
18 SsbA
medievil rave Mk2 [pre plague mix]
3 slothscrape
24 Tsim 2
34 ibiza spliff
10 Inthesky
18 1974 94 [8? concentration mix]
14 Cornish Spreek5b [st. Nectan S Glen Waterfalls Mix]
Pretend Analog Extmix 2b
Nightmail 1

But i need to listen more to all of this music later on. Things take time. ;)
Like the tracks, Cheetah3 Teac and Bradley Echoes, and many many more. I have not had the time to digest all of this yet.
But im very grateful for all of this music. Anyways. Indeed. ;) Inthesky i a lovely track. Nice that you also like it. Peace out
Edited by temp1