IGNORED

Vote On Your Favourite User18081971 Tracks!

Joyrex

Just hit 1001 votes on the "top 30", and 1668 total accounts on the system.

(There has been a ton more votes if I count vote changes... the 1001 refers to total people who have voted).

A little disappointed this isn't higher - there are 70K followers on soundcloud and there has to be a gob of aphex fans who want to get involved.

Is it that people don't know about this thing?

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(There has been a ton more votes if I count vote changes... the 1001 refers to total people who have voted).

A little disappointed this isn't higher - there are 70K followers on soundcloud and there has to be a gob of aphex fans who want to get involved.

Except for a tiny link without explanation in the profile description of his account there isn't any publicity (save for watmm). Not my favourite thing to say, but it could be a good idea to notify RA, Fact Mag, etc. Aphex himself could post it on his facebook or twitter but hasn't so far, maybe he just want the """diehard""" fans to vote?

I've been following the soundcloud releases, almost from day 1 but I haven't voted yet. My reason is that I am rubbish at associating track titles to tunes I like. Even though I am familar with the tracks as I hear them, I don't have the mental retention for track names I think. So recently I've been 'staring' tracks on my commute that stand out to me and once I have a solid 30 I'll put my vote in.

I feel that without doing that, I'd have to sit down for a good few hours on the voting site listening to snippets, reminding and familiarizing myself with tracks and I just don't have the time (let alone patience) for that.

All of this is not to say that you haven't done a stand out job on the site though - it's really excellent and I will honor your work with my votes once I am happy with my selection.

Having said that, I wonder do the colors on the site put people off psychologically. It's a site that you're going to spend time on so following color theory might entice users to hang around. Some help with this can be found on Kuler . Honestly though, I'm just trying to help - not criticize.

Except for a tiny link without explanation in the profile description of his account there isn't any publicity (save for watmm). Not my favourite thing to say, but it could be a good idea to notify RA, Fact Mag, etc. Aphex himself could post it on his facebook or twitter but hasn't so far, maybe he just want the """diehard""" fans to vote?

Maybe somebody on this forum could write a good article regarding the dump and submit it to one of these guys. So far what has been written regarding the soundcloud release has been misleading and messy at best. If you don't follow this forum or the reddit thread, you really are getting mixed messages about whether it has been taken down, the legitimacy etc etc.

With some good journalism and pointing the right direction, maybe the voting would explode.

Maybe somebody on this forum could write a good article regarding the dump and submit it to one of these guys. So far what has been written regarding the soundcloud release has been misleading and messy at best. If you don't follow this forum or the reddit thread, you really are getting mixed messages about whether it has been taken down, the legitimacy etc etc.

With some good journalism and pointing the right direction, maybe the voting would explode.

Just did. Trying to think of other relevant online magazines now.

Just did. Trying to think of other relevant online magazines now.

I did a quick google to see who has reported it at all

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=soundcloud+aphex+twin&tbm=nws

CoS, The Guardian, The Verge - anyone who has reported on it incorrectly so far!

Don't think they'll pick up on it, haven't heard back from CoS, FM, RA or the Wire. Only had Oor do a very small report on it. I assume I did something wrong in the way I described it or in trying to contact them (I used either an email adress, facebook message or a contact box for press releases, or a combination), although just not having a name doesn't help, as tips from for example Robin Rimbaud are usually posted within the hour on FM. If anyone could tackle this it would be Joyrex or Aphex himself I guess...

Very nice of them to mention xf and watmm, though the article implies it's just WATMM members voting on the poll

As well as crediting that google doc to watmm even if it was the Aphex Twin Reddit subforum who created that thing. As well as leaving out a link to this thread for anyone that has feedback. As well as not explaining anything about the three voting options.

Ah well, at least it's out there now, let's see what kind of impact it'll have, and if other zines will pick up on this too. Hope it works!

Note to self: don't bother to write anything informative for these zines, just slingshot a tweet into the world :)

Nah, good job on getting their attention, that was the whole point :) I just seem to be taking their job more seriously than they do so I'll just back up.

And here come the copypastes :)

http://crackmagazine.net/2015/07/aphex-twin-fans-vote-for-tracks-on-potential-compilation/

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/aphex_twin_letting_fans_pick_tracklisting_for_soundcloud_compilation

I think if Richard put something on his SC page, that might help :emotawesomepm9:

I think if Richard put something on his SC page, that might help :emotawesomepm9:

He already posted the link on his SC page...

'In fact, he allegedly told xf that he will use the final results as "a strong start" to compiling a new vinyl compilation from the material.

That feels a little suspicious at this point'

It's irritating that they won't commit to just saying it's definitely RDJ. Too afraid to be wrong... So ironically they are just wrong.

Very nice of them to mention xf and watmm, though the article implies it's just WATMM members voting on the poll

I am a watmm member (a bit passive, but many times it is like "brother from another mother) and i assumed this, too.

Having thought about it im still pessimistic.

Recently I meet with younger people (like 18-23 years. me is 29) and i have the feeling the name "aphex twin" implies a lot less meaning for electronic music culture as i think. but thats somehow irrelevant because two people not nodding to my question ___"afx yo, 'nam sayin' ?"___ does not mean "everyone young or fit enough to use internet".

with people my age and above i never felt like that. maybe just boring, these friends of my acquaintance.

i still believe if you go out and inform about club culture you should know afx (which is mentally tagged with (rephlex, warp, squarepusher, etc..)

last but not least comes what i wanted to post in the first place:

hilo -> 99 votes ? really?

Edited by mizuki