IGNORED

Syl Kougaï - ΙΧΘΥΣ

I'd never heard of this guy before, but came across one of his tracks "Corvus" from his forthcoming album and it's seriously impressive stuff. I can definitely hear an Autechre influence with a bit of a hip hop vibe and long form sound exploration. The other track released from the album reminds me a bit of AFX, but I think this is all sounding pretty exciting and fresh.

I'm eagerly anticipating this album coming out in June, and if the rest lives up to the tracks released so far we could be looking at something special indeed!

Check it out and see what you think: http://sylkougai.com/

yeah this is fucking awesome what i'm hearing so far Even though Schematic is more of a digital label these days i feel like anybody concerned with good/unique sound design as a primary thing in electronic music needs to be checking out everything they put out. The Terminal 11 record they put out last year is amazing too.

just saw the album is getting a 2xLP release, will definitely be getting a copy.

just browsing through his bandcamp now : https://sylkougai.bandcamp.com/

this one is veeery nice : https://sylkougai.bandcamp.com/album/metaswing

really great stuff, has a similar clean/snappy production vibe to Roel Funcken/Funckarma but way weirder

twitter here: https://twitter.com/SylKougai

been following his stuff since the beginning. i live in the same town as him and he's probably the only person making autechre-influenced music here so it's nice.

That's really cool! There are a couple of good French IDM producers around. 3tronik was pretty rad but stopped making music seemingly and Ocoeur is good stuff as well.

been following his stuff since the beginning. i live in the same town as him and he's probably the only person making autechre-influenced music here so it's nice.

That's really cool! There are a couple of good French IDM producers around. 3tronik was pretty rad but stopped making music seemingly and Ocoeur is good stuff as well.

the problem with 3tronik was that he actually heavily sampled from autechre's actual music, and not in an ironic transparent plunderphonic way either but actually trying to pass it off as their own sound design. This guy's catalog is all over the map comparably (he doesn't only do Lp5/ep7/confield era ae) and is capable of some really brilliant stuff.

really great sound design but musically/artistically not interesting enough to me. too bad!

yeah same here, not many interesting/original compositional ideas in his stuff unfortunately. at the end of day it all comes down to composition.

the problem with 3tronik was that he actually heavily sampled from autechre's actual music, and not in an ironic transparent plunderphonic way either but actually trying to pass it off as their own sound design. This guy's catalog is all over the map comparably (he doesn't only do Lp5/ep7/confield era ae) and is capable of some really brilliant stuff.

Oh really? Damn... that's just straight up poor form.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really loving this album! Sounds amazing played loud. Lots of interesting sounds and really crisp production. I also had not heard of this guy until I stumbled across this thread (so thanks OP!). A definite purchase for me. Anyone know whether Hymen or Schematic bandcamps will have the digitals? Schematic only seem to have a purchase option for the vinyl.

You forgot "Nebulo" ! :)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just bought the entire Schematics catalog on Bandcamp, which is such an amazing deal to own all that stuff on FLAC... and happened to listen to this album, holy shit. Where did this guy come from? Production is razor sharp and some of the ideas really blend hip-hop and IDM very well, better than most.

• 4 months later...

Archived