IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

• 5 weeks later...

going to be interesting when all the data gets peer reviewed and published. they studied the top 500 facebook groups in the USA to see what's what and of course it's bad news. the data is going to be peer reviewed and shared. 

• Like 6

200.gif

https://www.ansa.it/english/news/lifestyle/arts/2022/01/18/22-of-italians-have-stopped-using-social-media-in-last-year_6efd3f1d-179e-4432-bfee-0bf7b945b35e.html

22% of Italians have stopped using social media in last year

Tired of fake news, concerned over privacy said Deloitte survey

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

at some point this will crossover w/the dank memes thread or the evil capitalism thread. on a long enough timeline everything bends to stream crossing. 

aka the watmm singularity event. the point when the forum starts posting without us.

• Like 1
  • Burger 2

? ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ? 

may it burn like a shit show on fire. it's for pay. you have to pay $200 a year to use it. 

just what the world needs!

lol sounds like the trump app wasn't properly beta tested. or wait, it was beta tested, just with a bunch republican's who say yes to everything donald does, and so probably thought that bugs and glitches are ok, since they must never go against the king's wishes:

https://www.axios.com/truth-social-app-store-donald-trump-6a365023-ad45-43ce-ac1b-9aa484da5ba4.html

• The app launched last week to a handful of beta testers. As of late Sunday evening, it appeared to be working for a handful of people who had been using the app via the beta test to report bugs, including Republican lawmakers that tweeted screenshots of their accounts, like Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.).

• Like 1

https://cointelegraph.com/news/the-metaverse-will-bring-a-further-erosion-of-privacy

Before Facebook, most people used pseudonyms online and were not comfortable sharing so much personal information openly. They were anonymous, acting across separate forums. With Facebook having people’s names, connecting payment services including Apple Pay and Google Pay, along with Amazon purchasing profiles, all of a sudden most internet users have an online persona that shows how they interact within the digital realm. There are already significant privacy implications from having all those services connected, leaving people’s data vulnerable to hacks or abuse.

part of the reason why forums are good enough for me. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, zero said:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/the-metaverse-will-bring-a-further-erosion-of-privacy

part of the reason why forums are good enough for me. 

it's weird to be old enough to read things that seem obvious to me, but are apparently historical anecdotes now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikisoko said:

it's weird to be old enough to read things that seem obvious to me, but are apparently historical anecdotes now

I too come from the old school mentality of never sharing much, if any, personal information online. I'm horrified when the wife posts a picture I'm included in on her FB, will usually try and turn my head or thrown on sunglasses so I can't be easily identified. not like I'm some hard core criminal trying to hide from anyone, I just don't want to share a bunch of personal stuff online where anyone can see it. I was literally forced to make a linkedin profile that I haven't updated the picture on for almost 10 years. *shudders*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 8:41 PM, zero said:

I too come from the old school mentality of never sharing much, if any, personal information online. I'm horrified when the wife posts a picture I'm included in on her FB, will usually try and turn my head or thrown on sunglasses so I can't be easily identified. not like I'm some hard core criminal trying to hide from anyone, I just don't want to share a bunch of personal stuff online where anyone can see it. I was literally forced to make a linkedin profile that I haven't updated the picture on for almost 10 years. *shudders*

One of the craziest things for me was when people started linking their social media to online dating profiles. Are they trying on purpose to collect as many stalkers as possible? Do they not understand how much information you can collect from someone's social media posts, like where they work, when they go to work or are alone at home, etc?

Also when I started to get dozens of new followers per day on Instagram due to my travel photos and I made account private, some people thought I was crazy because in their thinking more followers are automatically better somehow (I don't know why, it's not like I'm trying to be some professional travel blogger), but for me it was simply a security issue. I've had the experience of being followed in person when I've been traveling, and I'm not going to make the job of those fuckers easier by constantly posting my approximate location with photos.

This is interesting, it seems apparent now that social media changes our brain behavior, but being a teen means your brain is still developing, so who knows what the long term effects on younger generations will be. I work around a lot of youngsters currently, and noticed some of them seem to wander around in kind of a daze, real world interactions don’t stimulate them the same way as a screen-based dopamine hit. Even my 15 year-old nephew does this, and they usually respond to any vocal interaction with “huh?” or “what?” They aren’t receiving the same cues to respond IRL that older generations have, they just seem to be killing time til they go back to their phone, this world isn’t as interesting as that world. 

https://apple.news/AwLs2IWcWTrK8lvR06iPTfA

• Like 1

also, 2 part facebook papers episode on behind the bastards is excellent at digging a little deeper in an entertaining way.  provides a lot of context etc for the revelations in the leaks.  a must listen to confirm how big of a dick zuckerberg is personally and how they're just terrified of conservatives complaining about them. 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-lets-look-at-the-89337179/

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-two-lets-look-at-the-89431711/

Edited by ignatius

• 3 weeks later...

if you want to read some marketing tech bro's advice for musicians adn be sick.. here ya go... fuck this guy and his micro moments.  long thread. i hope he falls down a well. 

• Facepalm 4

5 minutes ago, ignatius said:

if you want to read some marketing tech bro's advice for musicians adn be sick.. here ya go... fuck this guy and his micro moments.  long thread. i hope he falls down a well. 

"micro moments" flol  what's with all the "micro-" expressions people are tossing around these days.  I'm triggered bro, this post is a micro-aggression to my musical integrity

• Like 2

idk why, but the metaverse reminds me of this:

spacer.png

best case scenario for humanity is that the metaverse goes the way of the power glove, and is viewed as a passing fad that will flame out naturally. worst case is billions of phone addicted social media junkies buy into it, and all become entrapped in some sort of consumerist VR version of hell run by gordon gekko type capitalists.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I always thought Kaczynski was right about a lot of stuff he said about the advancement of technology, and the negative effects it will have on our psychological well being. yeah he was wrong about a lot of other things he said, like the whole idea he could singlehandedly somehow stop the advancement, and was obviously mentally unsound. but it's sorta hard to argue with this little blurb I pulled out of the wiki article on some of the points he made:

He writes that technology has had a destabilizing effect on society, has made life unfulfilling, and has caused widespread psychological suffering.[78] Kaczynski argues that most people spend their time engaged in useless pursuits because of technological advances; he calls these "surrogate activities" wherein people strive toward artificial goals, including scientific work, consumption of entertainment, political activism and following sports teams.[78] He predicts that further technological advances will lead to extensive human genetic engineering and that human beings will be adjusted to meet the needs of the social systems, rather than vice versa

• Like 1

I don't think of the Metaverse® as the "next human evolution of interaction", but rather the new channel for people to trade goods. This is inherently capitalistic, of course, exactly the same way that happened with radio, TV, internet, etc. People already live an hyperreality, so selling the Metaverse® is the logical next step to keep the system as-is, also looking at the success of videogames, mostly multiplayer/MMO. So since media has modeled society, the question here is who gets to control the next one (hence Meta® by the analfuck Zuckerberg), repeating the same exact shit that ruins people´s live: quantity over quality, centralization, mass-manipulation, etc.

That's why if the Metaverse® is inevitable, I'd rather hope in in an open-source metaverse.

Edited by logakght
  • Like 2