IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

17 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

never ever joined any "out-in-the-open" social media like fb, insta and the like simpy because it seemed to mainly attract extrovert, narcissistic wankers. "social" network my ass.

finally caved-in to whatsapp tho so my granny can stalk me 24/7. ?

A lot of the overseas companies I worked with used WhatsApp for almost all internal communication, so you were basically forced to use it.

• Sad 1

Did I mention that I’ve never been on social media? (apart from watmm) Well that is technically a lie. I was on Facebook when it first appeared, many moons ago, what is 15 years or something. I was travelling in Nepal and India at the time and this Israeli couple (metal heads, lefties, nice) set me up with an account and obviously most of the backpackers were on it and it was well handy to meet up with friends at different locations across the world. Then when I returned home this really excellent tool that had some genuine  purpose quickly metamorphosed into an entirely different beast all together. This beast was devil. All the possible negatives that people have been recently flapping about I could see it crystal clear, years ago. So I just denounced this beast! And I chucked it in the pit of fire and watched it wither into ash. Cackling like a hyena high on LSD 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

never ever joined any "out-in-the-open" social media like fb, insta and the like simpy because it seemed to mainly attract extrovert, narcissistic wankers. "social" network my ass.

social media is always more enjoyable when u make it exclusive. just set up a private profile on instagram and let ur close friends / people you like follow. i must only have around 60 followers on insta who i want to be seeing and interacting with my posts

• Thanks 1

Yeah, sometimes I think I’m a bit of an anti-social rebel and should just chill out and chat with friends. Maybe half a dozen mates I know have left social media in the last year. They tell me to stay away. Dunno. Just the attention seeking vibe bothers me. I don’t like poseurs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

The low level anxiety associated with basically being available 24/7 to anyone that has your phonenumber has been eating away at me a bit. A lot of it seems like empty chit-chat that would be alright irl because it might lead to an actual conversation but on WhatsApp 90% is just exchanging tokens, confirming each party is still alive and making plans to meet up.

I switched off my phone entirely for almost 24 hours the other day and it felt amazing, did feel the need to notify some people in advance in case they’d think I’d died or something. Gonna try to make that into a regular thing. 

• Like 5

What I really disliked about whatsapp was that anyone in my contacts suddenly felt the liberty to message me anytime about anything. It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for some of the clients. Next thing I know I'm getting flooded with related and unrelated messages and links they wanted to share. ffs, I had to find a polite way to tell them that this is my private "channel" that I didn't intend to use it for business. I installed it for ONE friend from US to keep in touch. I felt like one of the clients was a bit surprised about it, so I just deleted the damn app from my phone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I use Facebook and Instagram basically as personalized newspapers... I have close friends there and acquaintances from work but as soon as I accept a friend request/new follower I instantly unfollow them so that they don't show up on my news feed avoiding pictures of ugly newborn babies and feet on the beach... Then I just like/follow whatever I want to read news about, i.e. movie directors, music bands, favorite movies and TV shows, science stuff, electronics, magazines, butt stuff, etc...

Also, there's a pretty cool android app called autoscroll that I use with facebook/instagram which its name is pretty self explanatory, I just hit down and it scrolls down through my news feed so that I don't have to use my fingers leaving them free for, well, you know, butt stuff...

EINSTEIN

A systematic review of research into the dark side of social media use has identified 46 harmful effects, ranging from physical and mental health problems to negative impacts on job and academic performance, as well as security and privacy issues.  

The dark side of social media networks (TechXplore)

• Like 1

The Largest Autocracy on Earth

Facebook is acting like a hostile foreign power; it’s time we treated it that way.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/11/facebook-authoritarian-hostile-foreign-power/620168/

Facebook is a lie-disseminating instrument of civilizational collapse. It is designed for blunt-force emotional reaction, reducing human interaction to the clicking of buttons. The algorithm guides users inexorably toward less nuanced, more extreme material, because that’s what most efficiently elicits a reaction. Users are implicitly trained to seek reactions to what they post, which perpetuates the cycle. Facebook executives have tolerated the promotion on their platform of propaganda, terrorist recruitment, and genocide. They point to democratic virtues like free speech to defend themselves, while dismantling democracy itself.

Worth reading if you have the time.  Also, Fucc Zucc

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

The Largest Autocracy on Earth

Facebook is acting like a hostile foreign power; it’s time we treated it that way.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/11/facebook-authoritarian-hostile-foreign-power/620168/

Worth reading if you have the time.  Also, Fucc Zucc

Feels weird to respond to this post by handing it a "like," but I'm gonna do it anyway, so please accept this personalized thank-you post as a confirmation that your information sharing has indeed affected another human life. And glob willing, may Facebook eat itself. :flower:

Edited by luke viia

I cant handle social media.  Every time i see posts of people doing cool things and having fun i feel like theyre posting it just to show me all the things i didnt get to enjoy and it makes me hate them.  I like everyone better when i dont have access to that stuff.

• Like 3

I’m curious why there wasn’t this sort of outrage around shows like “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” or magazines like “Better Homes and Gardens”. Not in terms of the misinformation capabilities, but in terms of lifestyle comparison and the impact on the psyche. 
After all, they showed the same things.

21 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I’m curious why there wasn’t this sort of outrage around shows like “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” or magazines like “Better Homes and Gardens”. Not in terms of the misinformation capabilities, but in terms of lifestyle comparison and the impact on the psyche. 

Two reasons:  most people didnt look at them, and most people didnt personally know the people in them

23 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

Two reasons:  most people didnt look at them, and most people didnt personally know the people in them

So you’re saying jealousy is more impactful when someone knows the object of their jealousy personally. 

7 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

So you’re saying jealousy is more impactful when someone knows the object of their jealousy personally. 

It isnt really jealousy for me, its more like i feel personally insulted when i see someone make a post and then i get pissed off and start deleting contacts.  Maybe it's just a problem for me, im not saying other people are at fault it's just unhealthy for me personally because im socially masochistic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I think that these have producers reeling you in ultimately to buy products (like media in general) but they have more control and are in charge of the “play” that is happening. Almost sadistically knowing when, if you’re watching “lifestyles of the rich and famous”, your jealousy levels will be thrown off. On the more personalized concept- something like Facebook (while still media trying to make money with ads or whatever) has no real control over those levels. It’s hard to articulate- but there is a huge difference. But, also- idk as much about this stuff because I gave up with social media during MySpace. Never done fb, ig, or any of that shit. This forum and some random music gear forums, and I suppose a little Reddit is all I do

2 hours ago, drillkicker said:

It isnt really jealousy for me, its more like i feel personally insulted when i see someone make a post and then i get pissed off and start deleting contacts.  Maybe it's just a problem for me, im not saying other people are at fault it's just unhealthy for me personally because im socially masochistic.

Just know that most of these fucks are liars. Not worth getting pissed at!

9 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Man I’m just happy my friends are out doing something fun with the knowledge that not everyday is like that for them. 

8 hours ago, Himelstein said:

I think that these have producers reeling you in ultimately to buy products (like media in general) but they have more control and are in charge of the “play” that is happening. Almost sadistically knowing when, if you’re watching “lifestyles of the rich and famous”, your jealousy levels will be thrown off. On the more personalized concept- something like Facebook (while still media trying to make money with ads or whatever) has no real control over those levels. It’s hard to articulate- but there is a huge difference

Facebook has ads to reel you in. That’s the part I don’t like (because of the privacy implications and targeted advertising), but I mean one of the things I was discussing literally had the word “Better” in it (your home and garden could be better), so I don’t know. 

it would be interesting to hear more of your take on it?

Another report today on the bbc news about people (not necessarily celebrities) who advertise their whole lives on every platform of social media and are complaining about a minority of trolls who send them nasty comments. Obviously I don’t agree with people sending violent comments but it astounds me that if you live your life in such a way that you would be surprised and upset that you get negative words directed at you. It totally mystifies me. It’s almost they want to live in a bubble of perfect Prince/princess fantasy world where everyone worships them. Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

^ depends on the level of vitriol they're getting I suppose. I would guess they're talking about the ultra nasty stuff that crosses moral/ethical boundaries, and perhaps even legal too (personal death threats, misogynistic crap, racist garbage) more so than just the standard forum trolling fare. wouldn't think anyone would be that naive to think everything they showcase on all the apps is going to be met with positivity. 

• Like 1

I managed to lock myself out of my instagram account.,.. and you know what, I am glad! I was gearing up to leave anyway.  So now if it stays dormant for 6 months I believe they close it anyway.  Marvellous.

Instead I started a blog where I shall post photos, music and zine stuff.  Link in sig if anyone is ever interested. 

• Like 4

I think blogs are the way forward tbh. Way better for archival purposes and feels more authentic and meaningful rather than an endless stream of AI curated content. I hope metaverse will somehow be the end of facebook.