IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

it's been particularly fun seeing a few people on Twitter going 'look, i deleted Facebook years ago and you should too' when they're also on Instagram. :cerious: 

(and also as if Twitter is much better for that matter)

can't wait to go back to a blogoverse. what were those networks called where people would link other blogs/sites of similar interest? like there'd be a little imagelink at the bottom of a webpage that said 'part of the ____ network of sites!'  there was some name for it

• Like 2

also the idea of "Meta"/the metaverse: did no one mention during their coke-addled brainstorming sessions that the concept of this company creating a metaverse would go down like a ton of bricks with people who already think Facebook is responsible for creating a disinformation hellscape? what better way to hammer that perception home than by creating an alternate universe of their own design?

• Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1747016115579531

Another friendly part of facebook

Also, when I was using facebook I noticed that they actually hide comments selectively, as the default sorting is by "relevance". This doesn't just mean the order is what they decide is "best" for you, but they decide what gets shown at all, so you will go to the comments of a post and see 2 comments, when there are actually 6, and they dont make it that easy to see the missing 4. Probably hiding comments they deem more likely to cause you to spend less time on the platform or something.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vkxwz said:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1747016115579531

Another friendly part of facebook

Also, when I was using facebook I noticed that they actually hide comments selectively, as the default sorting is by "relevance". This doesn't just mean the order is what they decide is "best" for you, but they decide what gets shown at all, so you will go to the comments of a post and see 2 comments, when there are actually 6, and they dont make it that easy to see the missing 4. Probably hiding comments they deem more likely to cause you to spend less time on the platform or something.

oof. 

“Even if you’re someone who doesn’t share anything, Facebook could potentially reverse-engineer your emotional persona by filling in the blanks from your like-minded friends’ emotional states. In other words, the more your friends emote and translate their soulful moments into basic data points, the more Facebook can determine what makes you tick, too”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

oof. 

“Even if you’re someone who doesn’t share anything, Facebook could potentially reverse-engineer your emotional persona by filling in the blanks from your like-minded friends’ emotional states. In other words, the more your friends emote and translate their soulful moments into basic data points, the more Facebook can determine what makes you tick, too”

Isn't this typical stuff that makes people want to leave Facebook?

When I'm on Facebook I always get notices all the time like "X has changed his status, what Is your reaction?"
The more Facebook wants to control the more they will fall 

7 hours ago, dcom said:

Feeling Björnish? Björn is Swedish for bear, so would Björn Borg be an assimilated bear? That would be cool.

UohY2tV.thumb.jpeg.12833702bb0a5ddd470fa323cd8f6b01.jpeg

20 minutes ago, psn said:

Shit the bed. He's taken the form of Lovecraft as a wry joke. Zucc is Nyarlathotep... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep. [...] is active and frequently walks the Earth in the guise of a human being

Nyarlathotep delights in cruelty, is deceptive and manipulative, and even cultivates followers and uses propaganda to achieve his goals.

Unlike the other Outer Gods, causing madness is more important and enjoyable than death and destruction to Nyarlathotep. It is suggested by some that he will destroy the human race and possibly the Earth as well.

Basically Facebook. 

that zuck meta announcement video looks like something Tim & Eric would do. 

"Like we can relate to a super billionaire looking in wonder at his own shit pile."

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 2

I see zuck's talking about teleporting your VR self in the metaverse to private places to be alone. so if you can do that, then teleporting into someone's bedroom and having VR sex is an option?