IGNORED

Why do most electronic producers have macbook pros?

Polytrix

They you're silly and wrong, and wrong and silly - Win10 is the best OS Microsoft have whacked out there since ... well it's the best OS they've put out there ! (well maybe DOS 6.22 ... or Windows 2000)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a Windows guy, but i'll agree. Windows 10 in a LOT of ways is much, much better.

BUT, and this is a big BUT here: the update process that goes fullscreen and prevents you from using your system for an unspecified amount of time is just maddening. It gives no indication of how long and just prints "Windows is getting ready..." or whatever. I've also been witness to W10 attempting to install a driver without asking. It left my co-worker's machine unable to boot with a display after being forced to reboot.

There's also the notifications, which can be disabled for the most part, but on a default installation are just incredibly annoying. No, I do not want to try Office 365. No, I do not want to submit my opinion. No, I do not want to try OneDrive. NO, NO, NO, NO. 

I guess I just wish Windows 10 were a bit better at doing what you ask, and none of what you don't ask for out of the box. Having to install third party software to fully disable telemetry is unacceptable. Last week, on my work machine, a rogue service bugged out and slowed our LAN to a crawl. I only discovered this after capturing packets in Wireshark and finding out it was trying to connect to a Windows update server on 20 different random ports. I managed to kill the service and it solved the problem.

Overall, Windows 10 is a big step forward, but rough around the edges. If they clean up their act it will be one of the best they've made.

always used PC built own machine blah blah

bought a powerbook g4 in 2005 gigged the fuck out of it then one of the ram slots died then the converter went in the screen and it originally cost me £1600 and i vowed never to buy mac again.

I worked in IT for years so never had a problem with PC cause if you build it right it works right, simply by not putting the thing online it'll work for years with no buggzz

currently got desktop and laptop both running windows 10 and they're great not one issue! PC's are more vulnerable to virus's and when you start adding antivirus software shit just goes wrong.

reason why MACs are better and cost more is their hardware is spec'd and tested and software written to run on those bits of hardware. windows running on a bizzlion bits of hardware from a bazzillion different manufactures something will go wrong.

buy decent hardware and don't skrimp on good graphics and audio card, install your software and don't fuck with it.

Microsoft are about to change the game i think tho they have some lovely bits of kit coming out now

BUT, and this is a big BUT here: the update process that goes fullscreen and prevents you from using your system for an unspecified amount of time is just maddening. It gives no indication of how long and just prints "Windows is getting ready..." or whatever. I've also been witness to W10 attempting to install a driver without asking. It left my co-worker's machine unable to boot with a display after being forced to reboot.

anybody ever play the original Breath of Fire for SNES where in a boss battle the life meter would get to 1% or nearly 0% and then the boss actually has like 4 life meters worth of life left or even something completely random?? making the life meter in fact useless feature in boss fights? second most maddening thing

• 2 months later...

I'm strongly considering switching back to Mac now. I played around with one of the new Macbooks recently and I enjoyed it much more than my current Thinkpad. The hardware might be shit for the price but the user experience is something that really makes it much more enjoyable to use.

You can have a shit laptop with good specs or a cool laptop with shit specs. It really comes down to what you prefer after all in this whole debate.

a cool laptop with shit specs

Surely a cool laptop with shit specs is just a shit laptop. Could have gold alloy rims and a big fucking furry dice on it but it'd still be a shit laptop :lol:

My friend uses PC and when he upgraded to Win10 the OS didn't understand the accent mark over one of the vowels in his name so it ended up creating two desktops for him. When I bought my last Mac, I turned it on and I was ready to go.

a cool laptop with shit specs

Surely a cool laptop with shit specs is just a shit laptop. Could have gold alloy rims and a big fucking furry dice on it but it'd still be a shit laptop :lol:

Depends on how you look at it. I thought I had an awesome laptop with awesome specs until I found something else I liked to use much more.

I don't even know anymore tbh. I'll get back to you after I'm disappointed again.

anybody ever play the original Breath of Fire for SNES where in a boss battle the life meter would get to 1% or nearly 0% and then the boss actually has like 4 life meters worth of life left or even something completely random?? making the life meter in fact useless feature in boss fights? second most maddening thing

Yeah i thought there was a Castlevania  (iii?)like this where the boss has 3 forms each w their oen life bar

Yeah i thought there was a Castlevania  (iii?)like this where the boss has 3 forms each w their oen life bar

lol

My friend uses PC and when he upgraded to Win10 the OS didn't understand the accent mark over one of the vowels in his name so it ended up creating two desktops for him. When I bought my last Mac, I turned it on and I was ready to go.

Lol, that's pathetic

because of the real time kernel that works seamlessly with the hardware

plus macs are beautiful computers. A pleasure to work with, Id rather use OS9 than anything windows. Linux is like a more haphazard uglier version of the unix operating system that mac has developed

Archived