IGNORED

Windows 10 (out now)

Rubin Farr

Aieeee not that picture again - the stretched text, the seemingly random choice of freehand underlining and the line tool, calling sending feedback to microsoft a 'botnet'.

All you have to do is uncheck all the very clearly marked boxes on the privacy screen when installing it. Done !

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, hmm might just continue with this slideshow generator rather than risk it getting worse.

If you haven't already, upgrade your HD to a SSD, will make more of a difference than upgrading your OS. Win 10 should speed things up a bit on top of that though as well.

Thanks, hmm might just continue with this slideshow generator rather than risk it getting worse.

If you haven't already, upgrade your HD to a SSD, will make more of a difference than upgrading your OS. Win 10 should speed things up a bit on top of that though as well.

I don't really have the money for upgrades, and despite the name I am quite clueless when it comes to tech.

It's worth getting an SSD if you can, but I'm just a bit lazy and can't really be bothered with the hassle of transferring my OS onto it. Although I say that, I think the samsung ones have a program on it that does it all for you, so I'm looking around for a cheap one at the moment. There are other programs to do it as well, I hear. I actually bought one about a week ago from Ebay for a very cheap price, but the seller's item got removed by the ebay moderators, and now I can't even request a refund from them because "this item does not exist". There's £25 down the drain. I suppose it's my fault for being stupid, the warning signs were there.

Yeah cloning drives has now become real easy, done it a few time myself and I is am idiot.

Get this (for free!) and just click the clone drive wizard thingy - http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html (step by step guide here - http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/copy-disk.html )

Like me, if you have a lappy the only extra step is to by a USB HD enclosure - put yer new drive in the enclosure, clone the internal drive using the above then when it's all done just pop the new drive in your laptop.

Just make sure you have chosen the source and destination drives the right way round - ideally you don't want to be copying your brand new blank drive all over your existing drive !

• 2 months later...

It shouldn't be mandatory, but there isn't really a reason not to update it unless you have some wonky legacy software that you frequently use.

I'm getting this shit on my laptop, basically "upgrade now" or "upgrade later", with a - your installation will begin when Windows restarts kinda message:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993381/windows/windows-10-upgrades-reportedly-appearing-as-mandatory-for-some-users.html

My Bose bluetooth speaker was wonky enough to upgrade to Win 8.1 to continue working, so I'd rather wait til there's a Win 10 driver so I don't lose sound from my laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently Microsoft is pushing Win 10 more aggressively now, by announcing they'll include it in automatic updates. But there's still a way to disable that feature thru Control Panel, if you haven't already. I'm not taking chances.

Yeah, 10's good, not had any problems with it apart from a minor gripe. I'm running a SSD and HDD on my computer..when I got an ssd at xmas I did a clean install of 10. As soon as I connected up the Sata back to the HDD it started installing 10 onto the HDD. Is that normal when you're running two hard drives the OS has to be on both of them? I was gonna be using the HDD as secondary storage, very surprised to see 10 get it's ass up on in there like dat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally gave in and upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10. Had some serious lag initially, but just when I was contemplating a clean reinstall it seemed to have sorted itself out.

Some of the Lenovo apps were no longer compatible, and could have been why my C drive was 7 percent fragmented. Almost done with the defrag/optimization tho.

Yeah mp3s first, then RealAudio files, then .torrents (obviously), and then anything placed in sector 32483 through to 42890 on the drive (usually just backups get stored here)

If you don't have the 5gb free needed for install how can they force an update, can it delete data from your partition to force an install?

it gets rid of the nulls first.

What, all of them?

Well, finally gave in and upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10. Had some serious lag initially, but just when I was contemplating a clean reinstall it seemed to have sorted itself out.

Some of the Lenovo apps were no longer compatible, and could have been why my C drive was 7 percent fragmented. Almost done with the defrag/optimization tho.

Windows 10 speeds up after it has built its indexes.

Archived