IGNORED

Windows 10 (out now)

Rubin Farr

Also, how are you going to 'skip' W10?

I plan to stick with W8 until I replace my current laptop or Microsoft stops providing security updates (whichever happens first). Then I plan to become a full-time Linux neckbeard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was silly and missed the free update period...cant wait to get rid of 8

Is it still possible to update legitimately without paying? or will i have to employ more sneaky methods?

• 4 weeks later...

The problem I have with having to update is that I never felt it needed any updates. The OS is basically a way to view files on hdd and launch programs, so all the other crap is not needed. I just feel a need to update to 10 for compatibility with games and future programs. :/

They made the start menu useless. It's better to have shortcuts on desktop and launch them from there. My old win7 way of doing it via the start menu is gone. With the search button now separate we don't even have to open the start menu ever. 

The taskbar becomes stuck in 'always on top' mode with VLC/Youtube/etc which is annoying. Can fix by opening task manager and letting it run but needs fixing. 

The telemetry is hidden and annoying that we don't know the exact scope. I don't go crazy and add thousands of domain bans to HOSTS file either but it is shite whenever it pops into my head. 

As long as they don't remove any essential functions like the 'view desktop' button in taskbar, the view file extensions, never collapse icons in taskbar and other such tweaks I'm ok with upgrading forever though.

Part of me does regret not upgrading to at least try it out and revert back to Windows 8.1 if I didn't like 10, but the other part of me is glad that I didn't because I have heard of numerous software problems people have had when they upgraded and I just did not want to take the liberty to make the change.

The taskbar becomes stuck in 'always on top' mode with VLC/Youtube/etc which is annoying. Can fix by opening task manager and letting it run but needs fixing. 

Must be a problem with your install - I have four Windows 10 machines in my room, and none of them suffer from this at all

Must be a problem with your install - I have four Windows 10 machines in my room, and none of them suffer from this at all

Yep, it seems like it depends on the configuration of the machine, and doesn't happen to all users. I still think it's a bug in windows though because after it happens, no program in fullscreen can auto hide the taskbar until I fix it with task manager. I have 2 machines, 1 brand new, and it happens on both. 

probably a bug in VLC, not using the windows api correctly. lots of programs do hacky things they're not supposed to which break stuff when a new version of the OS comes out.

I remember that happening to me ages ago on one of my last laptops , think it was a magical graphic driver update that one day made the issue go away - think DirectShow (think that's the default graphics renderer/API) can sometimes get itself in a tangle with some graphics cards

If MacOS Sierra is a big step forward for OSX, I'm thinking of going back to it.  I'm not happy with the direction Windows has been going the last few years, and MS in general.

I just switched to Windows last month after 8 years of using OSX. What should I be worried about?

Nothing - It's probably the best OS they've put out in years. The only thing you might wanna check out and turn stuff off (though it may not bother you) are things here: http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

If MacOS Sierra is a big step forward for OSX, I'm thinking of going back to it.  I'm not happy with the direction Windows has been going the last few years, and MS in general.

I just switched to Windows last month after 8 years of using OSX. What should I be worried about?

About user-intuitive liberty to customize your OS and PC.

It's not (I'm running the beta); it's more incremental refinements that the past 3-4 OS updates have mainly been about. Although I don't use it, Siri is finally integrated with macOS.

As somebody who uses both on a regular (daily) basis, there are things I like about both - the one thing I really wish Windows 10 had was the system-wide search bar (sorry, but the search bar in Windows 10 just doesn't seem to find what I am looking for) like macOS has (CMD-spacebar). So handy.

On the other hand, Windows 10's er, Windows are more useful - I just want a damn system path (yes, I know it can be displayed at the bottom, but I want an address bar I can type into) and customizable info columns.

the one thing I really wish Windows 10 had was the system-wide search bar

Yeah the search has been wonky for me since probably Windows XP. Back in the 9x days when the search thing looked like this:

wn_FindFile_dialogbox.gif

all was good in the world, but since then it just seems to randomly show you a few files that you might or might not need ! As a result I've used this for quite a few years for my searching needs - http://locate32.cogit.net/

the one thing I really wish Windows 10 had was the system-wide search bar

Yeah the search has been wonky for me since probably Windows XP. Back in the 9x days when the search thing looked like this:

wn_FindFile_dialogbox.gif

all was good in the world, but since then it just seems to randomly show you a few files that you might or might not need ! As a result I've used this for quite a few years for my searching needs - http://locate32.cogit.net/

That being said, I have fairly good luck with the search via the Start Menu in Windows 7 - I just wish it was as accessible as the macOS search is.

can't you just hit the windows key and start typing in your search? works fine for me unless i'm searching for decade old files on external hdds

I can, and I don't mind that, but the way the search results are displayed aren't as useful as they are on the macOS Finder.

CMD-spacebar. So handy.

get Launchbar - never look back.

https://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html

it's like Spotlight but much, much, much more useful & powerful, and faster.

by now, there must be something like that for Windows as well..? last time I checked there was nothing even remotely close..

Find And Run Robot

Archived