IGNORED

Windows 10 (out now)

Rubin Farr

I'm not exactly sure what is causing it, but suddenly my laptop's CPU use went up quite a bit. When above a certain percentage the sound of my internet stream (YouTube in this case) is stuttering. Only my old laptop with Windows Vista had this issue... Haven't had this with 8.1, seems more sluggish overall now. Maybe there's a bunch of updates being installed / downloaded in the background? Soundcard drivers?

Just did a first reboot and it took ages... Yesterday it took just a few seconds.

new os's are always like that - when I upgraded from v7 to 8 I really was worried about how slow it took to boot, a year later and it's the fasting booting os I've ever used on a pc since my dos 6.2/win 3.1 days

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My AV (Kaspersky) and app firewall (Comodo) don't work, now have to wait for hotfixes. Joy! Kinda wish I didn't just assume they would function seeing as 10 has been in large-scale testing for god knows how long.

don'te use any av sofftware pal.

So did people get an email or notification about the upgrade? I signed up for the notification but haven't got anything yet.

There are updates ready to go when I switch off tonight but unless it sends a notification as part of that I haven't the opportunity thus far.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

So did people get an email or notification about the upgrade? I signed up for the notification but haven't got anything yet.

There are updates ready to go when I switch off tonight but unless it sends a notification as part of that I haven't the opportunity thus far.

Just click the 'get win 10 now' icon that Rubin was so furiously adamant he no longer wanted to see with his eyes when he made this thread and go from there

I might try it on my unused Vista laptop from 2008ish. I've got nothing to lose really. For some reason I don't think it'd work on my old XP netbooks though.

mainly the keylogging thing that bothers me. can't tell if that's a cortana/spartan feature or wut. i mean... i guess i'm also cynical enough to assume practically every keystroke is being monitored anyways... so if anything this is a bit more transparent

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I think it's supposed to be so Cortana can 'learn' you and become more helpful - I've been going through the settings and turning all that stuff off. Brave new world we're living in if this is the norm now innit

Actually quite interested in the new browser, being able to doodle over web pages and share them with your scribblings is pretty cool

mainly the keylogging thing that bothers me. can't tell if that's a cortana/spartan feature or wut. i mean... i guess i'm also cynical enough to assume practically every keystroke is being monitored anyways... so if anything this is a bit more transparent

There were two mentions of keylogging, one was in the Edge browser, the other was Cortana, it also sends inking data back to them. That's used as training data for improving their neural networks, but it won't work at all if you can't send the voice data back to them for analysis (it's the same with any modern voice recognition software, it all happens in the cloud). Not sure what Edge would use it for, though that has Cortana integrated so maybe it's the same thing. The voice data is anonymised and only kept for 30 days (to help with network training and debugging), I'm guessing the same is true for the other data as well, but I'm not sure.

yeah it does feel like setting up an android smartphone for the first time. "oh we'd really like you to send us your location stuff if you want to use this and that full functionality. oh, and btw sending this information will also improve such and such. oh and don't forget about your voice samples, we can use them to really improve speech recognition and search results..."

i mean i would totally use all of it if it would integrate with my phone properly, but there's just not enough compatibility stuff for android at this point and my windoze is not exactly legit...

Just installed Win 10 and the very first thing it asks you after you download it and it configures everything is whether you want this stuff done or not, literally you just choose not to do the 'express' install and then flick all the switches to 'no' and you're grand !

ps so far so good. It's seemed to have kept *all* my settings and preferences from Win8.1. All hardware is go and aye - seems to have been completely painless !

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to change the inactive window border colour in Windows 10?

From what I've read elsewhere it appears that the answer is "no, and it's not possible to change the active titlebar colour either, except via hack". Fuck's sake. I can only conclude that Microsoft hates my eyes.

just installed this, and so far it's already completely fucked up my ThinkPad's TrackPoint and TrackPad settings, and due to over-simplification of the settings tool, it's now impossible to get it set up how I had it in Windows 8.1 :-/

not pleased at all.

just installed this, and so far it's already completely fucked up my ThinkPad's TrackPoint and TrackPad settings, and due to over-simplification of the settings tool, it's now impossible to get it set up how I had it in Windows 8.1 :-/

not pleased at all.

Don't see why it would've changed that at all - I have separate tabs on my mouse control settings for everything about my trackpad. Maybe just reinstall the mouse drives/setup thing to add it back again if it's been removed.

not pleased at all.

Don't see why it would've changed that at all - I have separate tabs on my mouse control settings for everything about my trackpad. Maybe just reinstall the mouse drives/setup thing to add it back again if it's been removed.

the Synaptics configuration for the ThinkPad has been "updated" for Windows 10, and in doing so it has oversimplified its settings to the point where the configuration window for setting stuff up is now woefully inadequate

VWbfra9.png

try force installing the win 8.1 software and drivers, technically they should be compatible.

Windows 10 automatically updates software, so it wouldn't matter. Windows will just update it again.

Yeah good shout - Still running the win8.1 version of my external sound card driver & config thing with no issues, so I reckon you should be grand with the mouse app

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

It adjusted my touchpad settings slightly too, was easy to fix tbh. The other tabs next to Synaptic Control Panel tab all change the parameters you probably want to tweak

Much prefer this to Win8

Archived