IGNORED

Windows 10 (out now)

Rubin Farr

It adjusted my touchpad settings slightly too, was easy to fix tbh. The other tabs next to Synaptic Control Panel tab all change the parameters you probably want to tweak

Much prefer this to Win8

I've gone through every tab, there is no way to configure the trackpad buttons to register as a middle click instead of the default left and right click. I usually use the TrackPoint (red nipple) buttons for those functions, and use the trackpad buttons as the middle click.

I can no longer do that now.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, my windows itself is pirated, and every bit of software that i use is cracked (unless it's free) and it works. the windows did moan about "your product key is no good so please give me 200$ for a new one" so i had to shut it up with a special gizmo. but yeah, it does nothing to already existing and working software, and i don't think that windows defender is any different that it spots cracked stuff or something.

Yep max seems to work fine on my machine. The only casualty at the moment on my lappy is the ability to connect my ds4 to my pc via Bluetooth - ds4tool happily maps it if plugged in, but it just can't connect to it wirelessly

I'm not exactly sure what is causing it, but suddenly my laptop's CPU use went up quite a bit. When above a certain percentage the sound of my internet stream (YouTube in this case) is stuttering. Only my old laptop with Windows Vista had this issue... Haven't had this with 8.1, seems more sluggish overall now. Maybe there's a bunch of updates being installed / downloaded in the background? Soundcard drivers?

Just did a first reboot and it took ages... Yesterday it took just a few seconds.

new os's are always like that - when I upgraded from v7 to 8 I really was worried about how slow it took to boot, a year later and it's the fasting booting os I've ever used on a pc since my dos 6.2/win 3.1 days

Yeah, you were right about that one. It was probably just doing a lot of updates in the background, it's already improved a lot.

Overall I'm satisfied with this, not much has changed for me. The most annoying thing that I was praying for to be improved on is still there unfortunately: my external HD's going into sleep mode after just one minute. My music files are on one of the external HD's, so when I open it it has to boot the entire HD which takes 5-10 seconds. Most of the time I don't even wait for that so I'll be doing other stuff, forget about it and when I want to reopen a file I have to boot again. Sometimes it takes four or five attempts... More annoying is when you try to save a file from the web and have to choose a destination folder, you're stuck waiting for both of the drives to boot (they don't boot simultaneously) while you're entire OS just freezes until they are done.

I think I've read that all laptops with Windows 8 had this problem and so far I've yet to find a solution. Tried messing with regkey, all the settings concerning energy saving or external drives, etc. Nothing works... Anyone else who has the same issue?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Prevent External Hard Drive from going to sleep

Prevent-External-Hard-Disk-from-going-to

If you are looking for a freeware to make things easy, try these! NoSleepHD writes an empty text file every few minutes to your external hard disk drive to keep it from going into auto-sleep mode. KeepAliveHD will write an empty text file to your primary as well as secondary drives so as to prevent it from going into automatic standby mode. Mouse Jiggler will prevent Windows computer from going to sleep. Sleep Preventer will prevent your computer from switching to Sleep, Hibernate, Standby mode.

Not tried any of these myself but looks like there are a few options that could potentially sort the problem

Thanks! I remember finding something similar but it looked suspicious to me. I'd also like to try and fix it first without having more dodgy background process programs running, there are already too much of those... But I guess I'll just have to give it a shot and see how it works out.

If you are looking for a freeware to make things easy, try these! NoSleepHD writes an empty text file every few minutes to your external hard disk drive to keep it from going into auto-sleep mode. KeepAliveHD will write an empty text file to your primary as well as secondary drives so as to prevent it from going into automatic standby mode. Mouse Jiggler will prevent Windows computer from going to sleep. Sleep Preventer will prevent your computer from switching to Sleep, Hibernate, Standby mode.

Not tried any of these myself but looks like there are a few options that could potentially sort the problem

be aware - this will kill your hard drive quicker. they're meant to go to sleep.

do this on an SSD, and it will be a very expensive lesson in tech

be aware - this will kill your hard drive quicker. they're meant to go to sleep.

Thanks, good to know. I wonder if they are actually meant to go to sleep after a minute already. My external HD's have to boot so much everyday that I always think the booting process will shorten their lives.

Thanks, good to know. I wonder if they are actually meant to go to sleep after a minute already. My external HD's have to boot so much everyday that I always think the booting process will shorten their lives.

If they're taking 5-10 seconds to spin up then there's probably something wrong with them.

all hard disks will be rated for so many revolutions per lifetime, and yeah....from a longevity standpoint, keeping them online (but in sleep) is better for the life of the hard disk, but realistically it's untenable for many people. hard disk drives are cheap enough to replace, so cost isn't really too much of a concern anymore.

you can often change the sleep timeout for hard disks for internal drives within Windows. external disks, may or may not be configurable (I've had mixed results when trying to change external drive sleep timeouts).

ultimately, the only way you'll get away from the slowness of having to wait for a hard disk to spin up, seek, and then provide the data you're after is to fuck the hard disk off altogether, and get an SSD.

I know it's said by many, but getting an SSD is probably one of the most significant upgrades you can do to your computer that will have an immediately noticeable effect on the speed of your computer. Even if you just have your system drive as an SSD, you'll still feel the benefits. I would love to migrate all my disks to SSD, but I have other priorities at the moment with my monies.

Just timed it twice, it takes the external drives 8 seconds each to boot.

I tried to configure the sleep timeout on Windows 8 together with a computer-savvy mate but he couldn't do it either, we both assumed from reading complaints about it all over the web that it would be fixed in W10. Maybe it ís configurable now though, I'll have a look.

SSD is definitely the next inevitable step, but yeah, priorities :) the longer I wait the cheaper / better they get too, hopefully. Two of my mates had some blue screen issues with their SSD this month though (not sure what it was exactly), but that's probably just their usual luck... Thanks again!

Just timed it twice, it takes the external drives 8 seconds each to boot.

I tried to configure the sleep timeout on Windows 8 together with a computer-savvy mate but he couldn't do it either, we both assumed from reading complaints about it all over the web that it would be fixed in W10. Maybe it ís configurable now though, I'll have a look.

SSD is definitely the next inevitable step, but yeah, priorities :) the longer I wait the cheaper / better they get too, hopefully. Two of my mates had some blue screen issues with their SSD this month though (not sure what it was exactly), but that's probably just their usual luck... Thanks again!

it may be to do with the hard disk itself - my luck with setting hard disk sleep timeouts has been hit and miss, and I reckon it's down to a forced thing in the firmware of the hard disks themselves. Probably not anything to do with Windows, and might just be an enforcement on the part of the disk manufacturer.

Of course, that's just conjecture, but it makes some sort of sense to me anyway.

SSDs are definitely coming down in price, I'm continually surprised at how cheap they are getting, I think a 256GB one can be had for a good deal these days, and you don't even really need one that large for a system drive (although that's a nice good baseline, especially if you wanna run all your programs off it too - and you will, Photoshop loads in about 2 seconds), but they're still a little bit outside of the disposable finances of many at the moment. Once you go SSD, you don't go back though. I hate having to use systems with a spinning disk, now.

i got a new cpu w/ssd at work and my comp takes <5 secs to load from complete shutdown. totally amazeballs. will probably buy/build a new home cpu in the next year or so. hopefully that'll finally eliminate the awful noise i have that i believe is coming from my mobo.

btw still haven't gotten a win10 upgrade prompt on my desktop or laptop, just the reservation prompts...

Windows 10 is running great for me. Along with an upgrade to my PC's innards (More RAM, 2nd videocard, system installed to a faster SSD), it's running super fast.

the only thing left for me to test out is Kontakt and a load of other VSTs working in Ableton Live 9. I figure I'll try it out sometime this week.

Archived