IGNORED

Windows 10 (out now)

Rubin Farr

any problems with VLC or Media Player Classic?

Nope, tried both and all is fine :)

It's really odd things that don't seem to have made the transition for me - Perl I had to reinstall (I use for some stream grabbing thing), a 'naughty' portable version of an app (remember kids, winners don't do piracy), connecting my DS4 via bluetooth is currently MIA (currently have to use USB - the guys who made DS4Tool are on the case), and anything with the Unreal engine wouldn't start until I whacked a runtime of DirectX9 on there again (basically reinstalled one of the games using the engine and it fixed all the others)

The only real benefit I'd have from upgrading is DirectX 12, but is it worth all of the hassle?

I knew I was meant to get DX12, don't know if it's still a work in progress but mine says:

CLVC8tiWcAAu8bb.png

It's really not that much of a hassle upgrading IMO, remember when they patched 8.0 to make 8.1 .... well Windows 10 is more 8.2

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm having a bit of trouble with it loading when computer is first turned on. very slow to start for me, sometimes super slow, maybe frozen? it took 2 restarts for it to work

i'm having a bit of trouble with it loading when computer is first turned on. very slow to start for me, sometimes super slow, maybe frozen? it took 2 restarts for it to work

I think it first downloads *vanilla* Windows 10 and in the next few boots (depending on how long you leave your machine on) downloads all the updates in the background. You'll be grand in a day or two :)

I think it first downloads *vanilla* Windows 10 and in the next few boots (depending on how long you leave your machine on) downloads all the updates in the background. You'll be grand in a day or two :)

cheers

Aye, what happened - Apart from the much improved start menu, which I actually use now (back in Win7&8 days I was using Classic Shell) I can't really spot much difference ....

The boot time/slower performance is probably just it downloading and installing updates/security fixes etc. My laptop is over 5 years old now and I can get from the system being fully off to the login screen is about 10/15 seconds, then desktop a further 5-10 seconds after that. (took a couple of days before it got back to that nippy pace again)

"display card driver isn't working properly" obviously sounds like a biggy, what's the card, what's not working properly ?

Gotcha. Will give it a couple days and see if anything's improved.

I do a lot of graphic design/video work and noticed some weird aliasing going on as soon as I upgraded Windows, so I manually installed a driver update. (Never had to do that before. I'm always notified/updates install automatically.) It didn't seem to do anything so I posted my mini-rant shortly after lol. Just installed it again and everything seems fine, however I tried running BioShock Infinite and it randomly black-screened. Maybe that's something that will be corrected after updates as you say.

So my first impressions of this is that

THIS FUCKING SUCKS

So it seems programs work fine so yeah np there, but for some reason it is taking an abysmal time to boot up. Like, first it appears the Dell screen, normal and stuff, but then a black screen appears for like fucking 4 minutes and then that login screen with the ugly photo of GMUNK (I dislike his style a lot) and then i need to wait another 1 minute with a black screen so then it can appear my desktop BUT I need to wait again like 3 minutes because if I use the touchpad it instantly get a BSOD...

I'm trying to install latest drivers and shit but if this shit doesn't work I'll upgrade (yes, fucking WIN10 "upgrade"? it was a downgrade!) to 8.1.

So my first impressions of this is that

THIS FUCKING SUCKS

So it seems programs work fine so yeah np there, but for some reason it is taking an abysmal time to boot up. Like, first it appears the Dell screen, normal and stuff, but then a black screen appears for like fucking 4 minutes and then that login screen with the ugly photo of GMUNK (I dislike his style a lot) and then i need to wait another 1 minute with a black screen so then it can appear my desktop BUT I need to wait again like 3 minutes because if I use the touchpad it instantly get a BSOD...

I'm trying to install latest drivers and shit but if this shit doesn't work I'll upgrade (yes, fucking WIN10 "upgrade"? it was a downgrade!) to 8.1.

I've mentioned this too, but like mcbpete already said, this is more to do with it being a brand new OS. My boot-up speed is already significantly better since I've installed it (on day of release).

Archived