IGNORED

Korean Robot wins DARPA competition

chenGOD

http://www.livescience.com/51118-korean-robot-wins-darpa-challenge.html

I know we have some robot thread somewhere, but even the google search function can't find the thread I'm looking for.

Anyways - this is a cool project, and really shows how far this field has come.

Heard on a podcast google also had a robot in competition but they withdraws because they dont want to get involve with the military, would be interesting to see how google's robot does in this test.

Let's just hope they just build mindless robots and dont go the AI route, although from what i read its inevitable.

It would be more useful to build a robot that has some limited autonomy, for example when performing search and rescue, if the robot was out of communication with the operators, and it had to clear a path to proceed, it should be able to judge if clearing that path further endangers any potential survivors and base further actions off that assessment.

I don't think building an AI robot is inevitable, certainly not in the sense that AI is typically used.

i honestly think we should build AI just because its fascinating, even if we do run the risk of destroying ourselves. I mean, we are already armed with enough nuclear power to wipe ourselves out 300 times over, and that is straight up boring. To see the way an intelligence even twice as powerful as a 170IQ human mind would think would be infintely interesting to me.

Archived