IGNORED

E3 2015: The Thread

Joyrex

the one thing i didn't like about doom was the design of the cyberdemon at the end. not sure what it was exactly ..looked sorta goofy.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DOOM 4 looks like they were very heavily inspired by the Brutal DOOM mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc

this is not a bad thing at all.

gotta say though - the footage looks like a pre-render. The fluidity of the movement of the 'player' gives it away. I won't be at all surprised if this ends up being another Aliens: Colonial Marines, where the E3 footage is way overpromised.

i think the "fluidity" comes from them playing it with a controller, as opposed to mouse/keyboard. using a controller makes it much easier to make it look "cinematic".

I replayed Doom 3 a few months ago and it's nowhere near as good looking or fun as you guys remember it. Saying that Doom 4 just looks like a slightly faster Doom 3 is pretty wrong. It's a fundamentally different type of game (D3 being a very slow, clunky survival horror shooter). Doom 4 looks way more of an evolution of that OG Doom/Quake style gameplay that was always my favorite stuff from id. It definitely wouldn't surprise me if the entire staff has been playing Brutal Doom in the last few years and taking notes on why/how it's so awesome.

i think the "fluidity" comes from them playing it with a controller, as opposed to mouse/keyboard. using a controller makes it much easier to make it look "cinematic".

I know using controllers can give the slow 'cinematic' look, however I've been duped too many times by too many E3 showcases. Unless I'm actually in control of the images displayed in front of me, I'll never trust 'gameplay footage' again until the game has been released to the general public. It's a bit shitty, but Gearbox, and every other studio that has put out pre-rendered 'gameplay' footage has ruined it. So far, the footage looks promising, and I'm really hoping that the experience either stays the same or gets better...but every game that I've been excited about over the past few years has had a gameplay footage E3 trailer that way overpromised. Even the vaunted Alien: Isolation, which I loved playing, was no-where near as good looking as the E3 footage shown.

edit: I would also like to point out that my PC is certainly no slouch either, I was able to run Alien: Isolation at full native res (2560x1600) at Ultra settings, and the game still didn't look as good as the E3 footage.

I replayed Doom 3 a few months ago and it's nowhere near as good looking or fun as you guys remember it. Saying that Doom 4 just looks like a slightly faster Doom 3 is pretty wrong. It's a fundamentally different type of game (D3 being a very slow, clunky survival horror shooter). Doom 4 looks way more of an evolution of that OG Doom/Quake style gameplay that was always my favorite stuff from id. It definitely wouldn't surprise me if the entire staff has been playing Brutal Doom in the last few years and taking notes on why/how it's so awesome.

DOOM 3 definitely hasn't aged well. Something about it is just a bit too janky, and the gameplay mechanics are just too hokey. Some of the levels look great though, and I still think the Hell sections are brilliantly realised.

Also in agreement that, from the footage so far, this looks like a completely different beast from DOOM 3. Total Brutal DOOM rip off, but I'm totally cool with that. Sgt Mark IV should be proud, not only for his own mod, but for the clear influence he's had on this.

Ze nu DOOM was totally made by artists. Like, real fucking artists. Cuz they know aesthetics, yo. And they have style. And they know that ultra crispness or shooting for some on-paper-sounds-cool hardcore technical execution is not the way to go. They are sacrificing tiny details for overall detail, and it's perfect. On the other side of the playground you have developers like NetherRealm Studios who can't animate worth shit, and fuck all their MKs up the ass. You know what can be accomplished with today's tech and a tradeoff of high-res high-framerate stupid-level-textures? PHOTOREALISM. Mortal Kombat X could've been made fucking photorealistic, if they had a sense of style to realize how to pull it off. But they're shitty artists who probably all got C grades in art school, doing shitty drugs, and weed laced with crack whore urine. They probably can't see that S.T.U.N. Runner is style within a tech limitation; not style limited by tech.

In the 1980's, television resolution was equivalent to something like 320x180 to 640x480, and you know how television broadcasts looked in that low-res? Realistic. Because fine details and rendering dandruff motion blur on the pubic hair is worthless and doesn't lead to realism. I get so retarded thinking about it, that I almost wanna take on all NetherRealm employees in the octagon, simultaneously.

When video games have bad style and aesthetics, that shittiness is passed onto children whose brains are being molded with that rotten clay. It's like being raised by horrible parents who are rich-- Totally shit, detrimental syphoning of resources.

And so I'm really happy to see studios that can produce games with solid style, that don't try to push the limits of technology, just for the sake of being that one kid on the block with the biggest ghetto blaster, rocking MC Hammer; still no friends, no matter how perfect his flat top is cut.

I need to mail Id Software a box full of mics (maybe Rode NT1-A), so they can go around and mic drop at all the generic studios. They don't even need to finish the game-- the gameplay footage made so many people happy, that development money has already resulted in making the world a slightly better place.

Ze nu DOOM was totally made by artists. Like, real fucking artists. Cuz they know aesthetics, yo. And they have style. And they know that ultra crispness or shooting for some on-paper-sounds-cool hardcore technical execution is not the way to go. They are sacrificing tiny details for overall detail, and it's perfect. On the other side of the playground you have developers like NetherRealm Studios who can't animate worth shit, and fuck all their MKs up the ass. You know what can be accomplished with today's tech and a tradeoff of high-res high-framerate stupid-level-textures? PHOTOREALISM. Mortal Kombat X could've been made fucking photorealistic, if they had a sense of style to realize how to pull it off. But they're shitty artists who probably all got C grades in art school, doing shitty drugs, and weed laced with crack whore urine. They probably can't see that S.T.U.N. Runner is style within a tech limitation; not style limited by tech.

In the 1980's, television resolution was equivalent to something like 320x180 to 640x480, and you know how television broadcasts looked in that low-res? Realistic. Because fine details and rendering dandruff motion blur on the pubic hair is worthless and doesn't lead to realism. I get so retarded thinking about it, that I almost wanna take on all NetherRealm employees in the octagon, simultaneously.

When video games have bad style and aesthetics, that shittiness is passed onto children whose brains are being molded with that rotten clay. It's like being raised by horrible parents who are rich-- Totally shit, detrimental syphoning of resources.

And so I'm really happy to see studios that can produce games with solid style, that don't try to push the limits of technology, just for the sake of being that one kid on the block with the biggest ghetto blaster, rocking MC Hammer; still no friends, no matter how perfect his flat top is cut.

I need to mail Id Software a box full of mics (maybe Rode NT1-A), so they can go around and mic drop at all the generic studios. They don't even need to finish the game-- the gameplay footage made so many people happy, that development money has already resulted in making the world a slightly better place.

lol

Total Brutal DOOM rip off, but I'm totally cool with that.

So they're ripping themselves off? Brutal Doom is just DOOM with a number of modern mechanics, which of course is what DOOM 4 is supposed to be, too

Guest bitroast

So they're ripping themselves off? Brutal Doom is just DOOM with a number of modern mechanics, which of course is what DOOM 4 is supposed to be, too

The death animations and melee attacks were added in brutal doom but no original doom.

Anyhow, its worth firing up some youtube footage (or even the game,.. if you got it!) to see how fast and out of control and hilarious Doom 1 and 2 were. Doom 4 still seems slow and controlled in comparision. I'm guessing the weapon select slow down screen was introduced to allow people with condoles to quickly pick weapon without completely pausing the game (or rushing through the Next weapon button like on Doom 1/2/3 on consoles). Doom 4 looks like its sitting right in the middle of harkening back to original Doom gameplay but still being a new modern game with new ideas thrown in.. Calling it Doom 1 with HD graphics seems bit off .. and thats fine!!

erm, I don't think you understand what Brutal DOOM is...

The death animations and melee attacks were added in brutal doom but no original doom.

Which is what I meant by "DOOM with a number of modern mechanics"

erm, I don't think you understand what Brutal DOOM is...

Is it not the same base game with some added, modern mechanics and a graphical overhaul? The core's the same

the fallout fanboys are so fucking annoying. the dog brings a wrench - massive applauds. a smartphone app that works with a game - standing ovation.

fetching in a fallout is a pretty cool mechanic that could lend itself to some interesting scenarios

Archived