IGNORED

E3 2015: The Thread

Joyrex

Ubisoft nearly wins everything based on a new South Park game alone. Stick of Truth was amazing and the superhero theme is niiice. But please no European censorship this time.

The PC version of the South Park game isn't censored. Which is weird because what was censored wasn't all that worse than the rest of the game.

Also, another one? Count me in!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fallout 4, Doom and (tonight) reveal of a new ArmA map. Lots to play for me. Witcher 3 not yet bought. Will get a gtx 970 soon. Oh yeah!

Is that Cuphead game an Xbone exclusive or will it be cross-platform? I'd love to play it, the art looks amazing but I'm not buying an Xbone.

massivly hypppe for DOOM, the only thing that bothers me is that the normal shotgun in the old dooms could whipe out like 3 people at once and now you have to blast them like 3 times, just like doom 3 (hated that), wtf assholes!!

i also hope we get to shoot the demons at close range, without that "finnish them" glow

will be buying the new cod for multiplayer and fall out 4 for smoky single play this year

hyyyeeerpe, until then face me on MKX you weaklings :fear:

God damn I hated the Doom 3 shotty. It was pretty much only effective at hugging range, and each blast was like a diarrhea splatter.

I seriously hope the one from the new Doom will have an increased choke.

Is that Cuphead game an Xbone exclusive or will it be cross-platform? I'd love to play it, the art looks amazing but I'm not buying an Xbone.

Xbone indie exclusive iirc.

Just watched a bunch of Nintendo stuff. Fire Emblem + the Fire Emblem x Atlus crossover game (is that was it was?), Starfox, Mario Maker, Yoshi, Xenoblade... Some cool stuff on the horizon for Nintendo. Maybe nothing mind blowing but a solid line up. The best thing is that they showed mostly gameplay as well. They get into what you'll actually be playing, not pre-rendered cutscenes. Also game that are coming out this/next year, not '2017' 'tbc' blah blah blah.

Glad to see some others weren't getting into TLG's preview. I hear everyone losing their shit and I was all just 'uh, what am I missing, that looked boring...'

We'd better hear details about the Bloodborne expansion. And some more details for Dark Souls III would be nice...

But am I the only one underwhelmed by The Last Guardian? It looked pretty damned boring to me. Like Prince of Persia with a pseudo-Falcor for seemingly little reason...not to mention why the fuck didn't the boy and giantdogbird just fly to the next little place they were going instead of destroying everything along the way and 'almost dying' multiple times. And I'm saying this as someone who loved Shadow of the Colossus and generally enjoys interesting platformers.

You've played SotC and you are questioning purpose and story?

Just questioning the seemingly weak gameplay more than anything else. The concept of the game could be interesting...the game itself seems meh from what little they showed.

We'd better hear details about the Bloodborne expansion. And some more details for Dark Souls III would be nice...

But am I the only one underwhelmed by The Last Guardian? It looked pretty damned boring to me. Like Prince of Persia with a pseudo-Falcor for seemingly little reason...not to mention why the fuck didn't the boy and giantdogbird just fly to the next little place they were going instead of destroying everything along the way and 'almost dying' multiple times. And I'm saying this as someone who loved Shadow of the Colossus and generally enjoys interesting platformers.

have you played ico?

the gameplay in last guardian looks pretty on par with game (only without the annoying ghosts fighting you all the time.. hopefully)

Naw never did grab Ico. That seemed more of a story-driven thing...which is fine, but the gameplay has to also be strong. Not sure how Ico was, but the gameplay based on that TLG clip looked weak as hell. Not saying I need bombast or excitement at every moment of the game...but something other than that. Just didn't catch my fancy, and a big reveal demo should show off the game...that didn't seem to be showing off much. Hopefully I'll be wrong and the game will be cool. The art looked great, and the idea of a pair like that, a boy and the Guardian beast, sounds cool...

And some more details for Dark Souls III would be nice...

Miyazaki is going to be directing it, so hopefully not as "eh" as Dark Souls 2. It's also apparently going to be the last game in the series.

the game's obviously still in development too, showing off concept art and leaked screenshots but no gameplay footage.

probably the wiser choice, given what happened the last time they showed game footage while still early in development ...

Yeah, I heard that Miyazaki is going to be at the helm. They're slowly releasing more info and screenshots/art and such it seems...should have some more info tonight as there's a private Q&A w/ From Software/Miyazaki going on right about now...

Guest bitroast

ah yeah. i think the hype for The Last Guardian is largely coming from those who played and loved Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. TLG was announced ~10 years ago as a spiritual successor to those games (as Shadow was a spiritual successor to Ico) so being familiar with those games is probably a big aspect of why the last guardian being revealed is resonating with so many people more than anything. Personally, seeing the visuals and world of TLG and knowing that this is a game thats going to be coming out and playable next year, bringing me back into that world of Ico/SotC honestly gives me goosebumps. Both those games were ridiculously beautiful and leaned more in the direction of being work of art than simply being a straight up videogame.

Okay this is gonna be long-winded and rambly...so just hold on while I work this out but I just finished watching the whole Nintendo digital event and it's really strange to me and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Nintendo. It's like:

• Let's focus on all the amiibo-crap while ignoring all the games that are actually coming out.
  • Let's put out a trailer for the new Fatal Frame after the digital event is over.
  • Let's completely ignore Devil's Third even though it's dropping in August.
  • Let's spend the majority of our time showcasing every feature of the awesomeness of Mario Maker (which it will be...pretty much infinite mario now), but only show two levels of Star Fox 0.
  • Let's announce the multiplayer portion of a 3ds metroid prime hunters game as if it was a totally new ip the day before, then the very next day showcase a metroid game that absolutely no one wanted (oh yeah and as an extra f-you, this game doesn't even have samus)
  • Let's ignore the closest thing we have to a new f-zero/wipeout game (FAST Racing Neo) and talk about how cute amiibos are (sorry i really hate this whole amiibo craze if you can't tell)
  • Everyone wants Animal Crossing Wii U edition...fuck it let's make an Animal crossing/mario party mashup from hell (oh and btw if you want to play this you have to buy at least one amiibo)
  • Let's make amiibos for the new skylanders game (because fuck it we don't make games anymore we make little toys that 30-year old men hoard for the potential future profits [beanie babies anyone?])
  • Oh yeah and we also have Xenoblade Chronicles X (but our fans don't care about epic rpgs...unless you add amiibos to them, right?...)

I mean I get that Nintendo has like 10 Nintendo Directs throughout the year to announce new stuff but still you think they would have capitalized on the hype machine that is Splatoon and be like hey btw we also have some paid DLC planned for it after august or even something as simple as opening up the whole amiibo thing and giving players something like mario's hat or link's tunic or samus' arm cannon.

Like this whole event just solidifies how out of touch their whole marketing department truly is. Like crap we saw Microsoft provide more hype for Metroid through their Recore trailer than Nintendo did all throughout their presentation. And they completely ignore the fact that it's the 25th year anniversary of that franchise (all they had to do was just port metroid fusion and zero mission to the 3ds...simple stuff) and instead we have to celebrate 30 years of mario (even though we had already celebrated it's 25 year anniversary). I'm honestly speechless at how inept Nintendo's marketing department truly is.

oh hey the new media player app for ps4 works perfectly for streaming movies/music from pc with ps3media server :)

now i don't have to shut down the ps4 and turn on the ps3 just to listen to music from my main living room system

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/media-player-coming-to-ps4/

oh hey the new media player app for ps4 works perfectly for streaming movies/music from pc with ps3media server :)

now i don't have to shut down the ps4 and turn on the ps3 just to listen to music from my main living room system

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/media-player-coming-to-ps4/

Very nice! I'm going to try that at home thank you.

I used to do it with the ps3 but it would take a really long time for tracks to load and it wasn't my wireless settings I don't think.

ah yeah. i think the hype for The Last Guardian is largely coming from those who played and loved Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. TLG was announced ~10 years ago as a spiritual successor to those games (as Shadow was a spiritual successor to Ico) so being familiar with those games is probably a big aspect of why the last guardian being revealed is resonating with so many people more than anything. Personally, seeing the visuals and world of TLG and knowing that this is a game thats going to be coming out and playable next year, bringing me back into that world of Ico/SotC honestly gives me goosebumps. Both those games were ridiculously beautiful and leaned more in the direction of being work of art than simply being a straight up videogame.

More games need to be art. The untapped potential of the medium is staggering. It is the greatest medium for art that has ever existed, and it's relegated mostly to satisfying juvenile desires. Especially with the advent of VR. We are a step away from being able to live another person's life, and I think the consequences of this are far reaching.

Guest bitroast

Okay this is gonna be long-winded and rambly...so just hold on while I work this out but I just finished watching the whole Nintendo digital event and it's really strange to me and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Nintendo. It's like:

• Let's focus on all the amiibo-crap while ignoring all the games that are actually coming out.
  • Let's put out a trailer for the new Fatal Frame after the digital event is over.
  • Let's completely ignore Devil's Third even though it's dropping in August.
  • Let's spend the majority of our time showcasing every feature of the awesomeness of Mario Maker (which it will be...pretty much infinite mario now), but only show two levels of Star Fox 0.
  • Let's announce the multiplayer portion of a 3ds metroid prime hunters game as if it was a totally new ip the day before, then the very next day showcase a metroid game that absolutely no one wanted (oh yeah and as an extra f-you, this game doesn't even have samus)
  • Let's ignore the closest thing we have to a new f-zero/wipeout game (FAST Racing Neo) and talk about how cute amiibos are (sorry i really hate this whole amiibo craze if you can't tell)
  • Everyone wants Animal Crossing Wii U edition...fuck it let's make an Animal crossing/mario party mashup from hell (oh and btw if you want to play this you have to buy at least one amiibo)
  • Let's make amiibos for the new skylanders game (because fuck it we don't make games anymore we make little toys that 30-year old men hoard for the potential future profits [beanie babies anyone?])
  • Oh yeah and we also have Xenoblade Chronicles X (but our fans don't care about epic rpgs...unless you add amiibos to them, right?...)

I mean I get that Nintendo has like 10 Nintendo Directs throughout the year to announce new stuff but still you think they would have capitalized on the hype machine that is Splatoon and be like hey btw we also have some paid DLC planned for it after august or even something as simple as opening up the whole amiibo thing and giving players something like mario's hat or link's tunic or samus' arm cannon.

Like this whole event just solidifies how out of touch their whole marketing department truly is. Like crap we saw Microsoft provide more hype for Metroid through their Recore trailer than Nintendo did all throughout their presentation. And they completely ignore the fact that it's the 25th year anniversary of that franchise (all they had to do was just port metroid fusion and zero mission to the 3ds...simple stuff) and instead we have to celebrate 30 years of mario (even though we had already celebrated it's 25 year anniversary). I'm honestly speechless at how inept Nintendo's marketing department truly is.

more im thinking about it, the more im feeling pretty sour about nintendo with their e3 this year.

it's like last year they were feeling in trouble with the wii u and needed to "bounce back", focus strong and hard on how awesome it is, pumping out 2014 content (mario kart, smash bros) while also dropping heaps of reveals for future upcoming games (zelda wii u, mario maker, kirby, yoshis woolly world, xenoblade). they even more or less revealed star fox wii u as an upcoming wii u game with miyamato showing off gameplay.

it's almost like they skewed a lot of their energy into 2013-2014 to try and make up for the lacklustre initial release and confusing launch marketing, leaving this year with nothing to show off. they didn't even elaborate on zelda wii u. which wouldn't in itself be an issue but given how barebones the rest of the conference was it seemed pretty ridiculous.

to start off the nintendo conference with the mention of nintendo nx being revealed in 2016, then announcing practically nothing new for the wii u seems pretty indicative of their focus atm. it all reeks of "abandon the wii u ship!!*

I've lost a lot of love for Nintendo after I purchased a WiiU and realized how much they like to extract revenue doing ridiculous things.

Devil's Third will be garbage, gameplay looks like 2005 era shooters, but clunkier. It's an Amazon exclusive in japan, that tells you how much faith Nintendo has in it. Also, don't be surprised when they make a major announcement 2 weeks after the press fest is over.

I'm glad 3DS got some love, that new Chibi Robo looks interesting.

I also noticed they completely glossed over Rodea The Sky Soldier, even though it releases in October, includes what may be the last Wii game released in the US. Even the 3DS version comes w a free soundtrack to try to spur sales.

Nintendo do their own thing, and it works for me. They don't need need ~*~*new, fresh, exciting, omg so flashy pre rendered hype machine trailers*~*~ at e3 because they have their Nintendo directs to keep us updated throughout the year. I'd rather have them showcase gameplay on some solid releases coming up that we already know about and are being released THIS YEAR. It's no fun having no information other than a cutscene film trailer and promises of a release 'in the future'. If Nintendo hadn't already shown us stuff from the games coming out this hear the hype would be unstoppable. Image if they dropped a new Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Starfox, a new exclusive RPG (Xenoblade), announced a new open world Zelda, if they announced and released the new smash bros DLC through e3 (Ryu!) etc all at e3. Basically if they did what Microsoft and Sony do and blow their load in the space of two hours every year... Then leave you with blue balls waiting 7 hours for the game which looks set to underwhelm *cough* The Last Guardian.

And regarding Amiibos, I think they are a great idea. As someone who loves toys they are great. Fun, collectable, and they are toys that work with your games! What a cool concept. Regarding the game bonuses they are 100% optional and they never effect the core gameplay of the games. Usually they are useless cosmetic items. The worst has been bonus levels which again are entitely unessential. The merciless hoarding of them by fans... Well that's another story entirely. Fuck those people.

Guest bitroast

This has been the best E3 in years. Very little corporate PR silly-talk and a huge number of new games. I can't even keep track of all that's been announced right now. It's WILD!

with the exception of nintendo, where it's hard to keep track of how little new games were announced :P

Archived