IGNORED

Cheetah EP

zlemflolia

Guest bitroast

The mastering reminds me of some of the circlont tracks. Wonder why ;)

no idea mate. circlon is the sequencer :dadjoke:

cirkloN*

Can anyone rephresh my memory as to when these were recorded?

um. I'm guessing before the circlont tracks, judging by the name. Looks like this was one of the first he did with the cirklon. Makes sense that the ones that appeared on syro were more complex considering he made those later.

I think he did the cirklon tracks in 2013. As he said that the 'newest' track on syro was from early 2014.

Oh man this style is straight up early 80s.

Edited by Brisbot

I thought the track was still blocked out. Looks like they unblocked it since I checked last!

Oh wow it's literally the original track just louder. This is the retroiest aphex has ever felt for me... well cept a few off analord. Super minimal.

pretty sure its not cheetah3 teac. noticed some new things and differences

I've only listened twice and now I can hear some things that were really far in the background as cheetah3 teac was very quiet. But it sounds 99% the same. If there are any new things it must be one-shots or something.

I really like aphex's approach to these tracks. He seems to mix them very quietly, then beefs them up pretty much after he's done with the track as a whole, vs falling for the whole 'loudness = good' issue with human perception.

Edited by Brisbot

Heh, third listen through. There's a great deal of detail here. Quite nice.

I've only listened twice and now I can hear some things that were really far in the background as cheetah3 teac was very quiet. But it sounds 99% the same. If there are any new things it must be one-shots or something.

Agreed

Can anyone rephresh my memory as to when these were recorded?

um. I'm guessing before the circlont tracks, judging by the name. Looks like this was one of the first he did with the cirklon. Makes sense that the ones that appeared on syro were more complex considering he made those later.

I think he did the cirklon tracks in 2013. As he said that the 'newest' track on syro was from early 2014.

Oh man this style is straight up early 80s.

Considering it's a Syro outtake, it's a bit odd it was in the SC dump. He seemed to be going by era but jumped past anything in the 2000's except the Box Energy remix and maybe something else

it gives me some ziggo v17 vibes tbh, some of the synthwork and melodies.

I'm surprised that not all fans find a diff in quality between afx and his other aliases vs Aphex Twin releases.

Even the incredible detail in the short washout on the end of the track. Fantastiche.

Edit: It does require the usual steffing mushroom test though.

Edited by StephenG

This sounds like it was re-recorded almost. Could be my different headphones or the mastering.

EDIT: i take that back. I think it's just the mastering / my setup.

Edited by Bubba69

I find it interesting that he renamed this from cheetah to cirklon. I wonder if he names tracks after what he considers the most important bit of gear for a particular track.

Guest bitroast

This sounds like it was re-recorded almost. Could be my different headphones or the mastering.

what im thinking. assuming ( and it's a pretty safe assumption, given the title ) the whole thing was locked in to a cirklon sequencer complete with automation and whatnot, it'd probably be easy to re-record the track and clean it up. sounds nice :^)

I find it interesting that he renamed this from cheetah to cirklon. I wonder if he names tracks after what he considers the most important bit of gear for a particular track.

My guess is that is was track 3 of his "cheetah" EP back when he first recorded tracks for the EP and put them through some TEAC tape recorder or something. when he bounced back digitally he just named them cheetah[X] TEAC which made it straight to soundcloud that way. But the original true name was cirklon3, as in the 3rd track he did on the cirklon.

Loving it.

I was bit surprised when I first heard the SC dump version, sounded pretty dark and muffled compared to most of RDJ's work. I haven't A/Bed both, but the crispier sound could be due to anything, from re-recording to a new mix or to the mastering processing.

Damn I need mah Fix Twin!

By sheer luck, I happened to plan my trip to Tokyo to get in yesterday. So I'm here. Yes, the tweet references scramble crossing in Shibuya. I will head there this evening at 9:30 JST and start streaming the event. My Twitter is @tumes, I'll tweet the periscope link there. More info: https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/4p26z2/i_just_happen_to_be_in_tokyo_will_broadcast_the/

Toppest of blokes!

^for real

you're a doll tumes

post-56040-smiling-nun-thumbs-up-gif-Img

an absolute doll.

Guest tumes

By sheer luck, I happened to plan my trip to Tokyo to get in yesterday. So I'm here. Yes, the tweet references scramble crossing in Shibuya. I will head there this evening at 9:30 JST and start streaming the event. My Twitter is @tumes, I'll tweet the periscope link there. More info: https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/4p26z2/i_just_happen_to_be_in_tokyo_will_broadcast_the/

Toppest of blokes!

^for real

you're a doll tumes

post-56040-smiling-nun-thumbs-up-gif-Img

an absolute doll.

No worries! It's my favorite part of Tokyo and a hell of an opportunity, so I'm happy to do it. I'll stream and my wife will try to get a higher quality video on her phone. Most of my internet access is via mifi, so it may be a bit before I can upload an HD version, but I'll drop a link when I do. I'll probably start a bit early and show some of the iconic stuff around scramble crossing. Edited by tumes

this sounds pretty different, perc is much much clearer. sounds like more than just mastering, sounds like a different mix. i've not listened to them back to back though, so might be just hearing things.

Toppest of blokes!

^for real

you're a doll tumes

an absolute doll.

No worries! It's my favorite part of Tokyo and a hell of an opportunity, so I'm happy to do it. I'll stream and my wife will try to get a higher quality video on her phone. Most of my internet access is via mifi, so it may be a bit before I can upload an HD version, but I'll drop a link when I do. I'll probably start a bit early and show some of the iconic stuff around scramble crossing.

Very much appreciated either way!