IGNORED

Cheetah EP

zlemflolia

It's been said a lot already but seriously.. 3-4 years ago everything that has been happening lately would sound like a completely absurd fanboy fantasy.

Aphex Twin then: minimal to no output, reclusive with strong indication of pretty much hating his fans. Near mythical figure from a bygone era.

Aphex Twin now - Gives fans hundred of tracks for free

talks with them directly quite regularly and cheerfully, while divulging tons of detail on how he makes his stuff

Very regular output of Music on freaking warp

And now letting a 12 year old fan entirely create an officially released video.

Du. Fuuuuuk. I love it.

He's gettin old :D

Somebody has obviously killed him and locked themselves in his house.

Here's an interview with the young fella's mammy

I thought maybe that the kid had shot everything but that Warp got someone to edit it together, but it seems he's done the entire thing from start to finish. Nice job kid!

Here's an interview with the young fella's mammy

I thought maybe that the kid had shot everything but that Warp got someone to edit it together, but it seems he's done the entire thing from start to finish. Nice job kid!

Aaahw, and he even got to listen to the EP and choose the track for a video himself with no pressure. Top fucking notch Warp / Aphex, really a great move :)

I've been listening/watching to it a lot yesterday and I'm digging the track more and more. At first I was a bit underwhelmed but then I played a couple of 1994-ish remixes from Aphex and Autechre and listened to CIRKLON3 with those ears, which made a lot more sense IMO.

Don't understand the thought that Cirklon 3 or anything on this EP is "old". Didn't AFX say he had a few tracks he was planning to put on Syro that weren't ready by the deadline? I always assumed this was supposed to be on there, hoping this EP is a follow-up of sorts.

sorry if it has been asked before but do you know who made this track? (from the kid's YT channel)

I think the kid himself might be making tunes, him mum mentioned he had a soundcloud, he also has this 'version' of pulsewidth:

Edited by caze

Don't understand the thought that Cirklon 3 or anything on this EP is "old". Didn't AFX say he had a few tracks he was planning to put on Syro that weren't ready by the deadline? I always assumed this was supposed to be on there, hoping this EP is a follow-up of sorts.

Some of Syro's tracks are quite old, and that's only based on when Richard started playing them live - CHEETAH7 is similarly a track created some time ago.

really happy about the new track :) everyone who likes analord just HAS to like this song. im 100 percent sure. maybe its just a matter of time for some :)

really happy about the new track :) everyone who likes analord just HAS to like this song. im 100 percent sure. maybe its just a matter of time for some :)

I don't get any Analord-vibes from CIRKLON3. Way too funky imo

Some of Syro's tracks are quite old, and that's only based on when Richard started playing them live - CHEETAH7 is similarly a track created some time ago.
Sure, we know 180db is old, and I think a few tracks such as PAPAT could very well have been finished years ago, but my guess is that he was still finishing up XMAS and a few of the other recognizable live tracks in 2010-2014. I have not heard the full 10 minutes of that track in a live recording, but the last chunk of the track has a similar feel to some of the Cirklon/Circlont tracks, which I thought he said in the noizelab interview were recent tracks... What's your source for the age of Cheetah 7? Just curious about the timeline.

Love the video (as I'd done the kid's previous projects circa when he came to popularity through minipops), especially the fantastic story behind how Warp and RDJ came to contact him regarding it all in that radio interview. Really top job to everyone involved !

(shhh, shame I wasn't taken by the track on first listen - kinda lost its pacing in the middle. Maybe a few more listens, shhh I didn't say nothing)

EDIT: Yeah on second listen was feeling it a bit more ...

Sure, we know 180db is old, and I think a few tracks such as PAPAT could very well have been finished years ago, but my guess is that he was still finishing up XMAS and a few of the other recognizable live tracks in 2010-2014. I have not heard the full 10 minutes of that track in a live recording, but the last chunk of the track has a similar feel to some of the Cirklon/Circlont tracks, which I thought he said in the noizelab interview were recent tracks... What's your source for the age of Cheetah 7? Just curious about the timeline.

I guess it depends on what you would define as "old" - 2010 was 6 1/2 years ago!

And, as I said - we only can guess how old the tracks are based on when Richard started playing them live - they might have already been a year or more older prior to that.

It really doesn't matter - there are tracks that are approaching 20 years old I still wish for a proper release someday...

I feel the Analord connection; just a chilled out, simple beat and some synth bananery.

Analord was the release that took me the longest to get into, now it's probably the one I visit the most, so I love Cheetah's sound.

im not sure electronic music suffers from ageism like rock and roll. it is very obvious that musicians in the regular music world sort of get softer and less inventive after 40 . not totally convinced it applies to electronic or experimental music

im not sure electronic music suffers from ageism like rock and roll. it is very obvious that musicians in the regular music world sort of get softer and less inventive after 40 . not totally convinced it applies to electronic or experimental music

I agree. Just look at Autechre. If that were the case they would just be recreating amber over and over by now. Rich has definitely softened. He seems to only make music to suit his mood and his current mood is pretty damn relaxed.. and hardware obsessed. Ya never know what he may do next though.. but as I type this I sort of feel like I do (???) I sort of feel like after analord he never completely left that general mood/method. (deathfuck a pretty big exception) generalizing a ton but maybe ya know what I mean.

I honestly think it has more to do with the fact that they probably work on music less than they did in their 20s. If you worked on music just as much, or even more I imagine you'd improve by your 40s. I think Aphex has. Yes Heliospan and ageispolis are classics from his... early 20s? late teens? but his music now is much more complex. He is much better than he was then, but both versions of richard know how to write melodies.

It seemed more intuitive back then, now it's down to a semi-science.

I honestly think it has more to do with the fact that they probably work on music less than they did in their 20s. If you worked on music just as much, or even more I imagine you'd improve by your 40s. I think Aphex has. Yes Heliospan and ageispolis are classics from his... early 20s? late teens? but his music now is much more complex. He is much better than he was then, but both versions of richard know how to write melodies.

It seemed more intuitive back then, now it's down to a semi-science.

Yeah rock n roll often goes hand and hand with impulsiveness and raw energy of youth. And if a band is mainstream there is the pressure of image and marketing. But even in rock, especially experimental, underground, metal, etc. age is ultimately irrelevant. Radiohead is a good example.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, saw then In Houston and Austin during their last tour. Great band. They were in their... early 40s then? and they had a ton of energy. I think the pressure of image and marketing hit them in their 20s, shown in that documentary... gah... I forget what it's called. And within a few years they basically were able to push all that aside and come up with kid a and amnesiac. It's like that pressure coming on spurred them into creating those albums in the first place.

sorry if it has been asked before but do you know who made this track? (from the kid's YT channel)

If that is the kid making that music, he's gonna be good when he's older. But I don't think that's his music.