IGNORED

Cheetah EP

zlemflolia

Please change thread title to 'Unreasonable Expectations Discussion'

Also I should pre-order this already...

I mean, if you disagree with the expectations that's fine but i don't think they're unreasonable. It's like if i bought a can of beer from my favourite beer company, took a sip and there was orange juice inside. Turns out the company's switched to producing oj instead. Sure it's gonna quench my thirst, but i'm not gonna get all the fun extra things that came with drinking beer. So i'm disappointed because i wanted a beer from my favourite company. The company's done nothing wrong, i'm just a little sad.

Not the best analogy there, I don't think. RDJ is still producing/releasing tunes that sound quintessentially AFX/Aphex Twin. The new track still fits right in with the profile of his ever evolving sound. And at the end of the day, when you run the guy's catalogue through, it has been an evolution so I personally don't see why this latest number should be in any way polarising for anybody who likes his tunes.

Edited by tunnocks

I mean, if you disagree with the expectations that's fine but i don't think they're unreasonable. It's like if i bought a can of beer from my favourite beer company, took a sip and there was orange juice inside. Turns out the company's switched to producing oj instead. Sure it's gonna quench my thirst, but i'm not gonna get all the fun extra things that came with drinking beer. So i'm disappointed because i wanted a beer from my favourite company. The company's done nothing wrong, i'm just a little sad.

Aphex Twin is not a production line based company, he's an artist. There are musicians who work this way and release another album in the comfortable old style (AC/DC and others), but I have never expected Aphex to be this type, as with Squarepusher and others of that ilk. I can be disappointed too if it's not quite what I hoped, but to expect it to match my own invented / preferred ideal is unreasonable.

At no point had Aphex ever promised or advertised himself as a beer supplier: we get to drink what he serves (and I prefer OJ to beer anyway). Syro wasn't what I was expecting*, along with certain other music he's made, but then, there was never any formal customer / supplier contract stating what I was to receive. I can lump it or leave it, I can be sad, but there was never any promise made to be broken. Any promise was in my head and nowhere else.

*although I love it just dandy now**, having erased my own expectations and come to love what the album is, not what it wasn't

**sounds better on vinyl***

***imo

Edited by Bechuga

Aphex Twin is not a production line based company, he's an artist. There are musicians who work this way and release another album in the comfortable old style (AC/DC and others), but I have never expected Aphex to be this type, as with Squarepusher and others of that ilk. I can be disappointed too if it's not quite what I hoped, but to expect it to match my own invented / preferred ideal is unreasonable.

At no point had Aphex ever promised or advertised himself as a beer supplier: we get to drink what he serves (and I prefer OJ to beer anyway). Syro wasn't what I was expecting*, along with certain other music he's made, but then, there was never any formal customer / supplier contract stating what I was to receive. I can lump it or leave it, I can be sad, but there was never any promise made to be broken. Any promise was in my head and nowhere else.

*although I love it just dandy now**, having erased my own expectations and come to love what the album is, not what it wasn't

**sounds better on vinyl***

***imo

I started listening to Aphex Twin when drukqs came out and love everything he's done (icbyd is amazing!) but I must admit that I listen to the Analords and everything after mostly nowadays.

lol ok bechuga and tunnocks i agree with you both, it wasn't the best analogy. Of course there was never any promise of what he would put out, and i'm not saying he needs to only release things that i like. But the expectation for an experimental artist to release experimental music doesn't seem unreasonable to me, it just seems natural. I guess it all just comes down to what you're looking for in the music. I can't help but be analytical (probably partly due to listening to so much aphex!), and i feel like i've heard all i'll ever hear in this track already. So from an artist like aphex, yeah i expect more!

Edited by misc

art means he does whatever the fuck he wants

Oh come on man please this is just not a helpful response. Of course that's the case. But art also means we can all have our own opinions and expectations of it. I'm not calling up richard personally and telling him to step his game up!

Oh come on man please this is just not a helpful response. Of course that's the case. But art also means we can all have our own opinions and expectations of it. I'm not calling up richard personally and telling him to step his game up!

the days when i would go to the record store and hear the new aphex and get goosebumps. id get giddy. pancake lizard? Woah. Total excitement. . I understand your point totally. Those magical aphex moments, like the vocals in fenix funk. Surprises that bend your mind for weeks. Yes, I know what you are saying

Edited by marf

Definitely, I have my own opinions also, certainly wasn't meant to suggest that you're a dick for thinking so. Just saying that Aphex makes what he makes and, if he gets round to it, we get to hear it too.

Certain songs on the new Plaid album aren't entirely what I hoped for, so I'm no different.

Also, my avatar makes my posts read a little harsher than they seem. I'm not being aggressive or anything, just sparring. :D

So many great laid back melodies that keep changing on this one, also some amazing SAW 1 vibes that kick in around 2 minutes in - as usual it's completely different by the time you get to the end

It really feels like he's perfecting his style while endlessly reinventing it

So many great laid back melodies that keep changing on this one, also some amazing SAW 1 vibes that kick in around 2 minutes in - as usual it's completely different by the time you get to the end

It really feels like he's perfecting his style while endlessly reinventing it

I think this is his goal of making music at the moment , greating melodies, sounds that are shifting, changing threw the whole track. You either can relax and just listen to it or be more carefull and discover interesting details. I know that could be applied to many of his tracks but Syro was especially like that

No need to be ever-groundbreaking when the tunes are so packed with personality and emotions. To me, what has always set RDJ apart/above from everything else is how effortlessly his melodies will induce goosebumps tsunamis down my spine.

This ^^^

No need to be ever-groundbreaking when the tunes are so packed with personality and emotions. To me, what has always set RDJ apart/above from everything else is how effortlessly his melodies will induce goosebumps tsunamis down my spine.

This ^^^

This X2

Beautiful and expressive music is the ultimate music.

Groundbreaking things in music after a few years they are not groundbreaking anymore

and they lose that edge from novelty.

Beautiful and expressive music is beautiful and expressive forever.

Novelty is short termed.Beauty is eternal and timeless.

Bach is not very groundbreaking but his music will be revered forever because of its beauty.

Edited by fxbip

This ^^^

This X2

Groundbreaking things in music after a few years they are not groundbreaking anymore

Bach is not very groundbreaking but his music will be revered forever because of its beauty.

This ^^^

This X2

Agree with fxbip. Bach comparison seems relevant to me, because Bach was totally groundbreaking in music composition, but he didnt have to continually reinvent the style he created to be an original and meaningful artist... That would be counterproductive. But to create a history of classical music that doesn't cite the I importance of Bach would be to miss a huge piece of the picture.

And I think this status is a reason people are so harsh about AFX's music. Folks are expecting to be wowed with genius and guided to the next style, or otherwise looking for justification of the massive hype... all that we find is musician happily perfecting their craft- and a record company playing up the hype to make money.

folks need to just chill out and enjoy the music as it comes. And if you dont like it, post about something you do like instead of wasting your breath... metaphorically speaking.

Edited by ganus

Agree with fxbip. Bach comparison seems relevant to me, because Bach was totally groundbreaking in music composition, but he didnt have to continually reinvent the style he created to be an original and meaningful artist... That would be counterproductive. But to create a history of classical music that doesn't cite the I importance of Bach would be to miss a huge piece of the picture.

And I think this status is a reason people are so harsh about AFX's music. Folks are expecting to be wowed with genius and guided to the next style, or otherwise looking for justification of the massive hype... all that we find is musician happily perfecting their craft- and a record company playing up the hype to make money.

folks need to just chill out and enjoy the music as it comes. And if you dont like it, post about something you do like instead of wasting your breath... metaphorically speakong

+1