IGNORED

Cheetah EP

zlemflolia

Got back from the school run to find a Cheetah on my doormat. Initial impression is it's a lovely little EP, the sounds are gorgeous.

And I successfully managed to peel the track-listing label off the cellophane and stick it on the back cover with minimal trouble, so I'm doubly happy.

Successfully managed to do this as well!

im in the worst fuckin seminar of all time right now on a friday afternoon and its like 30 degrees, if cheetah isnt on my doormat when im home im gonna be pissed

Listening to it on Spotify. I am underwhelmed. Where is the innovation? It's music by some 40+ guy who ran out of ideas.

Underwhelmed in an absolute zero kind of way. All hail goes to Ae who are still interesting.

I need to stop being disappointed. I am surprised how much praise there is for RDJ still after all his mini-mediocre stuff.

Listening to it on Spotify. I am underwhelmed. Where is the innovation? It's music by some 40+ guy who ran out of ideas.

Underwhelmed in an absolute zero kind of way. All hail goes to Ae who are still interesting.

I need to stop being disappointed. I am surprised how much praise there is for RDJ still after all his mini-mediocre stuff.

I think that there is an acknowledgement on his part about these tracks. That they are chilled out, fun jams rather than representing the future of electronic music. I get where you are coming from but I don't think his goal was to try and wow anyone with this ep.

*edit* after thinking about it a bit more and comparing it to other ep's that he has released I can definitely agree that it is underwhelming.

Edited by flacid

As mentioned before, this EP was based around the challenge of programming for the Cheetah synth (all the press makes it out to be some major feat; anyone familiar with it can speak to that?), and he created some fun, bubbly tracks that he decided to share with the rest of us.

I think you're setting your expectations too high by thinking everything the man releases must be some ground-breaking and forward-thinking reinvention of electronic music - sometimes the most simple, basic form of things are the ones we appreciate the most. The innovative stuff sometimes falls flat after time as that was the only merit it had going for it to begin with.

And Richard running out of ideas? I highly doubt that. If anything, I think these recent releases are the beginning of a 'second act' akin to his 90's period and the best is yet to come...

As mentioned before, this EP was based around the challenge of programming for the Cheetah synth (all the press makes it out to be some major feat; anyone familiar with it can speak to that?), and he created some fun, bubbly tracks that he decided to share with the rest of us.

I think you're setting your expectations too high by thinking everything the man releases must be some ground-breaking and forward-thinking reinvention of electronic music - sometimes the most simple, basic form of things are the ones we appreciate the most. The innovative stuff sometimes falls flat after time as that was the only merit it had going for it to begin with.

And Richard running out of ideas? I highly doubt that. If anything, I think these recent releases are the beginning of a 'second act' akin to his 90's period and the best is yet to come...

I couldn't agree with you more.

Are you 40- or 40+? I'm getting close to 40 so maybe I'm more receptive to these vibes while younger people may think it sounds too old because of the type of hardware sounds?

You've got to like this kind of music in the first place. Btw as I said before I've noticed you have disliked Syro thru cheetah ( I always notice your comments on aphex's stuff for some reason) It's probably because how you feel about aphex stuff and your avatar kinda 'fit'. You may just not be into the style. A lot of people are which is why he's getting the praise still. It isn't a big deal though perhaps you are feeling left out in some way because of expectations.

I think you're setting your expectations too high by thinking everything the man releases must be some ground-breaking and forward-thinking reinvention of electronic music

I've always been surprised that some people expect innovation. Innovation inherently doesn't matter to me, it's what the track is trying to get across. Sometimes it's done in an innovative way and that's a huge plus, but the bare bones have to be there for an engaging track.

Are you 40- or 40+? I'm getting close to 40 so maybe I'm more receptive to these vibes while younger people may think it sounds too old because of the type of hardware sounds?

I don't think this is the case. I am 20 and because these kinds of sounds are before my time, they are actually interesting in that way. They don't sound 'retro' actually even though they literally are. They are just another style to me. And not something I was bombarded with as some of the older folk here may have been.

Edited by Brisbot

ive been thinking how ods and ccai2 didn't have tracks that were for whatever reason as memorable, for me, as the eps from the 90s including ventolin and come to daddy mainly. both of those eps had a lot of pretty simple tracks on them that didn't show off loads of technical wizardry but were still great. which i think is mainly down to the melodies. just after a couple of listens to cheetah ep i feel like some of these tracks are closer to that level imo

he's obv become focused on using these old analog synths and drum machines and honing his use of them, paring back a lot of ornamentation type stuff. seems kind of a pattern some artists get into, like guitarists who get away from having tons of effects and get more into just playing guitar as they age. just getting better at their instrument (not sure it has anything to do with age and maybe he actually has crazy dsp stuff he just isn't releasing). it might be boring for some who'd like to see mental beatz, fx, edits, etc, and i loved the mental stuff on drukqs, but i think my fav tracks were always stuff like flim with nice melodies being the main draw. i respect that he's doing what he wants to do even if i don't always like/love it but i def like this

I don't think this is the case. I am 20 and because these kinds of sounds are before my time, they are actually interesting in that way. They don't sound 'retro' actually even though they literally are. They are just another style to me. And not something I was bombarded with as some of the older folk here may have been.

Yes I should have said some younger people :) I started with ICBYD when it first came out and when I started delving in and heard SAW1 and Classics I thought they sounded too old and clunky at first because I was just getting into electronic music but then they quickly became daily listens (I was 17 at the time)- just thought that may be happening with people now who may have started with newer stuff

Then again I also keep eating foods I don't like at first and then eventually start to love them, sometimes you gotta push through the initial reactions - took me a while to start appreciating all the newer autechre after I started with Amber when it came out

Edited by nyr22

I honestly can't think of anything negative to say about this EP.

Erm... maybe CIRKLON3 outstays its welcome at certain points? That's about it.

Solid release. the whole thing flows really, really well.

Artwork is dope too, can not believe people are bitching about that (although I do wish the tracklisting was actually printed on the back, as opposed to being a separate sticker on the shrink wrap)

This EP reminds me a lot of Analord 02 and 08 but with a more colorful sound palate, and a hint of some of the more funky Tuss/ODS tracks.

CIRKLON3 in particular sounds like a Tuss re-interpretation of Ageisopolis.

2X202-ST5 is giving me Bradley Strider vibes as well.