IGNORED

Cheetah EP

zlemflolia

I love this EP. For me it's all about the melodies and textures. It's deceptively simple, with a ton of detail baked in. It's a perfect companion to Syro.

Well said - I think most of the negative reactions highlight how innovative it really is, like all great music you can't fully grasp it all in one listen, and it takes a while for people to catch up

Underwhelming on first listen but it's growing on me. Loving the crunchy squares in CHEETA1b and CHEETA2.

I have to say this EP calls to mind older EOD and makes a nice companion piece to his Utrecht EP http://eodtracks.bandcamp.com/album/utrecht

The stylized packaging is nice too. Wouldn't mind one of those stickers.

Listening to it on Spotify. I am underwhelmed. Where is the innovation? It's music by some 40+ guy who ran out of ideas.

Underwhelmed in an absolute zero kind of way. All hail goes to Ae who are still interesting.

I need to stop being disappointed. I am surprised how much praise there is for RDJ still after all his mini-mediocre stuff.

What a load of shit. This EP is just as fantastic as the rest of Richard's music, if you don't like it stop listening to it mate.

Listening to it on Spotify. I am underwhelmed. Where is the innovation? It's music by some 40+ guy who ran out of ideas.

Underwhelmed in an absolute zero kind of way. All hail goes to Ae who are still interesting.

I need to stop being disappointed. I am surprised how much praise there is for RDJ still after all his mini-mediocre stuff.

What a load of shit. This EP is just as fantastic as the rest of Richard's music, if you don't like it stop listening to it mate.

and you don't have to get touchy about someone's opinion, if you don't like an opinion, stop reading them m8

I've never been super into RDJ but I can definitely say that this is my favorite release of his.

This thing has got THA FUNK!!!!

I love this EP. For me it's all about the melodies and textures. It's deceptively simple, with a ton of detail baked in. It's a perfect companion to Syro.

perfect

and you don't have to get touchy about someone's opinion, if you don't like an opinion, stop reading them m8

lol, sometimes you just need to write a good tune, no need to reinvent the wheel every time you write a track

Edited by beerwolf

I bought this from HMV cos I had vouchers, first time I've been into one in about 15 years. Surprisingly massive selection of 12" LPs, but it's all weird shit like '180g deluxe' represses of 50 cent for £20+. When did this happen and who the fuq is buying it?!

Anyway lush EP. Noticed it says recorded in the dandelion spaceship pre-syro on the label. Name of one of his studios? :D also pre syro release, or pre recording of syro trax?

People often seem to respond to those not digging this release by saying that not everything needs to be innovative, Aphex doesn't need to always reinvent the wheel, etc...(or something in that vein.)

'Reinventing the wheel' or innovation isn't really even the issue for me - I so love Plaid's last album, and that one seems more a continuation of what they do best. The issue for me is that this E.P is just SO raw and bare-bones and seemingly basic (to these ears) that I can't really hold on to anything. There is a good kind of simplicity and minimalism, and some of this does touch that zone, but not quite enough or quite often enough for me. Honestly, if anyone else played this to me, or rather if I heard it in another context, I would assume the tracks were at the most half finished or a lot was missing from them.

Perhaps it's very special how he programmed this synthesiser or something. I am just struggling to see anything exciting here.... I suppose it has groove. It could still have a bit more content and musical interest and have groove for me.

And also, as a side point - about the innovation stuff - why no release some stuff like that now? There's lots of producers out there making good, solid tunes that aren't pushing things. That's great for what it is. There's only one Aphex Twin. I'd love to hear something that makes me go 'wow'!

Whatever... Each into his own!

Edited by Lianne

i wouldn't qualify that post as opinion though. just childish complaining. but that's just my opinion. ;-P

Those 2 ms800 tracks almost blew my mind in the car on the way into work this morning, unexpected sudden insta-vibes. Absolute lush sound, not tried the EP in headphones just yet but can't resist much longer. Was well worth the wait, makes me wonder if he'll ever (or already has) use the Cheetah on some future tracks or if it'll stay confined to this EP.

Also the CD packaging is lovely, don't want to unwrap the little blue bugger.

You can always tell a possible good few tracks by Aphex because get the slightly weird, peculiar AE obsessive crawl out the woodwork with their nose out of joint. It always makes me chuckle :biggrin::beer:

Amoeba in Hollywood has stickers and posters in-store with your purchase (for a limited time)!

Got mine with a cd ;)

Go get it, if you're close by! I think you can also get stickers with purchase on their website.

People often seem to respond to those not digging this release by saying that not everything needs to be innovative, Aphex doesn't need to always reinvent the wheel, etc...(or something in that vein.)

'Reinventing the wheel' or innovation isn't really even the issue for me - I so love Plaid's last album, and that one seems more a continuation of what they do best. The issue for me is that this E.P is just SO raw and bare-bones and seemingly basic (to these ears) that I can't really hold on to anything. There is a good kind of simplicity and minimalism, and some of this does touch that zone, but not quite enough or quite often enough for me. Honestly, if anyone else played this to me, or rather if I heard it in another context, I would assume the tracks were at the most half finished or a lot was missing from them.

Perhaps it's very special how he programmed this synthesiser or something. I am just struggling to see anything exciting here.... I suppose it has groove. It could still have a bit more content and musical interest and have groove for me.

And also, as a side point - about the innovation stuff - why no release some stuff like that now? There's lots of producers out there making good, solid tunes that aren't pushing things. That's great for what it is. There's only one Aphex Twin. I'd love to hear something that makes me go 'wow'!

I feel like it is uniquely Aphex, despite using some types of sounds similar to what you may have heard before, in the same way that a band can use a normal guitar, bass, and drum and create completely unusual music -

It reminds me of Analord in the way that tracks can start very simple and yet keep transforming and adding new melodies and beats, yet it still has a much different vibe and so many chill-inducing synth notes

You can always tell a possible good few tracks by Aphex because get the slightly weird, peculiar AE obsessive crawl out the woodwork with their nose out of joint. It always makes me chuckle :biggrin::beer:

Hahaha

Avoided listening to the stream and waited for the vinyl to arrive. On track 1; mellow, slopey and fucking hefty! Great start!!

Amoeba in Hollywood has stickers and posters in-store with your purchase (for a limited time)!

Got mine with a cd ;)

Go get it, if you're close by! I think you can also get stickers with purchase on their website.

Was just there and scored vinyl, cassette and poster. Didn't have any stickers. But they do have just a few cassettes left if anyone's in the area.

2x202 reminds me of ageispolis's bassline. Just in general.

Er, well the way it comes out of the stereo, like hard and soft at the same time, not the melody or anything

Edited by Brisbot

Can anyone identify the rattly percussion sound that starts going off at 2:00 and 3:05 in 2x202? Sounds very familiar but I can't place it. Some old bit of gear. I think I think I remember it from an old Emu sound library disc labeled Electro Percussion that had samples of the 808, Dr rhythm, juno drums, ppg, and some other stuff.

EP kicks ass, btw. The sparse use of FX really draws attention to the texture/timbre of the synth itself. Like fine wine. Lovely. Wonderful melodies.

Zzzzzz

Thank's for that insight Lianne. Is Richard James & Sean Booth still swearing too much in their interviews and undermining the power of music? Oh the little arty Lianne!

Guest bitroast

I like the two micro tracks; I kinda wish he'd expand upon those tbh

some aphex digital ocean ambient to proper sink into would be nice ;^)!!

loving the EP. solid vibes :^)

Can anyone identify the rattly percussion sound that starts going off at 2:00 and 3:05 in 2x202? Sounds very familiar but I can't place it. Some old bit of gear. I think I think I remember it from an old Emu sound library disc labeled Electro Percussion that had samples of the 808, Dr rhythm, juno drums, ppg, and some other stuff.

Simmons Clap Trap

Edited by pH1

exactly what i thought about new Plaid...