IGNORED

Cheetah EP

zlemflolia

Can anyone identify the rattly percussion sound that starts going off at 2:00 and 3:05 in 2x202? Sounds very familiar but I can't place it. Some old bit of gear. I think I think I remember it from an old Emu sound library disc labeled Electro Percussion that had samples of the 808, Dr rhythm, juno drums, ppg, and some other stuff.

Simmons Clap Trap

ooh yeah, spot on!

Guest bitroast

+1 about the short tracks, they're lovely.

agreed !! perfect brain wash interlude in the middle :):)

(using the analord 6 style tracklisting format i see i see *takes notes*)

kinda wish he did a full album of ms800 lush effects, I could play that on repeat

it's weird, like many people here I've been dismissive of most Aphex's (proper, not soundcloud) recent output, he's not innovative, it's just old crap etc. etc., I don't really feel Syro, CCAI nor ODS but those 2 short tracks that dont even total a minute and a half just got me so hyped... guess in the end it's just a matter of whatever pushes your buttons

Guest bitroast

the difference in tracklist between vinyl and everything else is pretty interesting.

kind of hated 2X202-ST5 on first listen and was planning on maybe leaving it out of my digital playlist.. but now im kind of enjoying it and torn between listening to it or not lol. it's like, the EP without it is super chill and sombre, ends on a slightly sad sombre note. but that extra track at the end cranks the vibes back into playful and ends on a high note again. music for the happy ryans out there to jiggle to.

I like it for what it is. Never thought a pitchfork review would speak for me but they got the review good. Good headphones and it comes into it's own.

Can anyone identify the rattly percussion sound that starts going off at 2:00 and 3:05 in 2x202? Sounds very familiar but I can't place it. Some old bit of gear. I think I think I remember it from an old Emu sound library disc labeled Electro Percussion that had samples of the 808, Dr rhythm, juno drums, ppg, and some other stuff.

Simmons Clap Trap

ooh yeah, spot on!

This clap caught my attention too. I was thinking it sounds like Elektron Analog Rytm clap? With lfo filter sweep or something. Also some kinda rimshot flam/fill at 1;58 lurking low in the 2x202 mix?

Elektron AR Clap demo at 12:25.

Nah...they probably were bored and richy went "wanna go to a real world music store?" Ryan " wtf!? Why?..where is the search button? Could i paypal? And why shove that physical crap in my face? It doesnt fit on my ipod lol"

Simmons Clap Trap

ooh yeah, spot on!

This clap caught my attention too. I was thinking it sounds like Elektron Analog Rytm clap? With lfo filter sweep or something. Also some kinda rimshot flam/fill at 1;58 lurking low in the 2x202 mix?

Elektron AR Clap demo at 12:25.

All percussion throughout the release sounds like TR9090 (909 clone) - very nice Cirklon sequencing techniques used to make it more alien (extreme flam and so on).

Don't think it's RYTM as within the credits it is mentioned that the version of his studio used to create these pieces was pre-Syro, and RYTM is a much more recent bit of kit.

I wonder how close they live. And now I also wonder if aphex is the guy in the mask in the video. AT first I thought: nah it's just a parent or uncle or something. But hey maybe not now.

Also happy as fuck for that kid. good stuff.

Edited by Brisbot

I think it's very ironic, back when the 2 Cheetah tracks were uploaded to Soundcloud, I adored Cheetah3 and saw 7 as "the other one", the boring and not-as-successful twin. However, hearing this EP in full, Cheetah7b is by far the best track he's released since Syro, the "boring" one is now knocking my socks off every time I play it. The pads are absolutely mind-blowing, sonically perfect, pleasingly nostalgic and absolutely lush beyond words. The bass drives the track forwards and the variety of crystal clear and interesting timbres that hit you absolutely makes the track a joy to put on. Defo the highlight for me, thanks Rich! :music:

Dispatched 5 days ago, no aphex today. Colundi vol 1 dispatched 4 days ago, received this morning... GOOD GAME BLERP

I always select fedex as shipping option and now it arrives perfectly in time

Holy shit!!!!!!

RDJ in Dublin with Ryan!!

Just simply brilliant!

You know I wonder if he brought his kids... surely? Otherwise aphex, who has 2 kids, left them (for a short time) to go hang out with another person's kid.

I think it's very ironic, back when the 2 Cheetah tracks were uploaded to Soundcloud, I adored Cheetah3 and saw 7 as "the other one", the boring and not-as-successful twin. However, hearing this EP in full

Same! It definitely has to do with the increased quality I think. Thing is it isn't as important for cheetah3 to be well mixed and mastered whereas 7 is so minimal it basically needs to be.

Edited by Brisbot

I'm eating my hat here a little bit because I posted earlier that I wasn't really into this. I've got my sehnhesiers on and have been giving this EP a dedicated listen. It's great. There's lots going on in the spatial domain and lots of other subtle things keeping it interesting beyond the apparent sum of it's parts from a casual first listen.