IGNORED

Yamaha Reface

Audioblysk

Guest skibby

You put that chip in your peepee hole, and then YOU BECOME THE SYNTH. Unfortunately you only get one knob, but it'll have to do.

thats actually spot on

You put that chip in your peepee hole, and then YOU BECOME THE SYNTH. Unfortunately you only get one knob, but it'll have to do.

unless female then it's a data slider
lol

ah yes! that's the kind of thing I like to see. It would have been nice if they'd just made little desktop units, volca size, but there's probably not as much of a market for sound modules anymore

could buy a couple of working vintage 4/6op units for that price yeah

only selling point for me is that it would mean that there'd be FM synth of some kind (new or old) would be available to buy where i live...

my dx21 cost me 70€, as did my sy22, and my tx7 was 120 i think which is even on the expensive side. that still doesn't add up to the almost 500€ these are going to cost - however, I guess if the keyboard is actually high quality and the build quality good that might actually be a fair price as keyboard synths are superexpensive, it's just that I feel that the people who are going to feel excited about the definitive 4-op FM synth would much rather have a Volca-priced unit and do away with the fancy keyboard (3 octaves and no mod-wheel though, so chick corea fans aren't going to be happy either... just who are they targeting?!). but then again the dx200 was a flop so i dunno.

btw, I wonder if the operator scaling is going to be similar to the DX21 family. i'm not hearing any gritty megadrive tones in the demos.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah these smaller companies (elektron with cenk, moog with amos etc) have musicians/developers demoing the stuff so they know their target audience. the big companies employ salesmen who have no clue. Akai wolf stuff has to be the worst in recent times. Roland aira too.

Check out the DR mix ones for reface. He's no synth head but he plays and shows off the sounds well, and he's a likeable goon by the sounds of it.

Loved this hype add when it came out. Love the guy in this, can't remember his name. EDIT: hector

Man, I miss Hector. Cenk is cool and it's good overall how their marketing has become more "human" but Hector really made them seem like magical dream machines.

hahah, I was just talking to my girlfriend about that on the weekend. I was kinda hoping that there would be some amazing Yamaha superstore in Japan where you could go and buy a synth and a motorbike at the same time

• 2 weeks later...

hahah, I was just talking to my girlfriend about that on the weekend. I was kinda hoping that there would be some amazing Yamaha superstore in Japan where you could go and buy a synth and a motorbike at the same time

They don't have that...?

step it up, Yamaha. Sell some bikes FFS...

Yah, really- about 90% of Japan could use synth+jet ski combos. Buying a gasoline generator? How about 10% off guitars when buying a generator!

Japan has a lot of companies that do tons of shit. For example JT, Japan's main tobacco company, also makes canned coffee. Imagine if Phillip Morris made coffee... People would be like wtf.

it would be cool to see a review by a non shill. edit: wake me up in 20 years when these are cool.

Edited by skibby

• 2 weeks later...

I played all four of these briefly in a music store in osaka today. I didn't spend much time with them but they were very nice. The CS was surprisingly bitey, the CP has a lovely reverb, the YC's rotary speaker simulation is great and the DX was, well, the DX. I'm coming back to osaka at the end of my trip; these will be very tempting to buy since they're a lot cheaper than they will be in australia.. but which one?!