IGNORED

Yamaha Reface

Audioblysk

I played all four of these briefly in a music store in osaka today. I didn't spend much time with them but they were very nice. The CS was surprisingly bitey, the CP has a lovely reverb, the YC's rotary speaker simulation is great and the DX was, well, the DX. I'm coming back to osaka at the end of my trip; these will be very tempting to buy since they're a lot cheaper than they will be in australia.. but which one?!

Buy 10 of each, sell them for profit back home, use profit for PCP.

lol, I'm considering doing that with the couple of game&watch edition gameboy micros I saw in denden town today. Maybe not for PCP money, synthz tho

btw, I'm in your country m8, come to one of my gigs

Imagine if Phillip Morris made coffee... People would be like wtf.

They own Kraft who bought out General Foods in the 90s, and General Foods owned Maxwell House. So yeah.

These Reface things would be pretty cool if the prices were in the Volca range and had better MIDI implementation.

Edited by RSP

They own Kraft who bought out General Foods in the 90s, and General Foods owned Maxwell House. So yeah.

You have passed the test. You will be contacted by a man hanging from a helicopter at midnight. Be prepared in front of your house. Naked, holding a loaded sawed-off shotgun.

You have passed the test. You will be contacted by a man hanging from a helicopter at midnight. Be prepared in front of your house. Naked, holding a loaded sawed-off shotgun.

As if I would leave the house any other way.

• 1 month later...

is the cs supposed to sound like the cs 80?

I think the idea was to give a bit of the CS series sound. If they thought it was going to sound anything like the CS-80 with that minimal of work and components, Yamaha has objectively gone insane. It looks like a CS01 quite a bit

is the cs supposed to sound like the cs 80?

I think the idea was to give a bit of the CS series sound. If they thought it was going to sound anything like the CS-80 with that minimal of work and components, Yamaha has objectively gone insane. It looks like a CS01 quite a bit

ah... thanks

Guest Chesney

It does have that CS kinda sound though, it's quite specific because of the filter although I think they added self osc to this whereas Most CS's don't go that far, but all the models in the CS range do differ obviously.

The CS sound is one of my favourites and this sounds great to me.

Guest Chesney

Yes of course but some people want to tweak things. Also recording hardware sounds different to keeping all you sounds within your puter.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, that would be appealing for a few but I think the reason companies don't bother with making stuff like that is because the software market travels so fast. People just keep buying them and moving on to the next thing. It's easy to buy VST's etc A hardware controller with specifics will have a short shelf like and be worthless on the second hand market. It would be the equivalent of selling a year old phone, barely worth anything you paid for it. Shame really.

I really want a Logic controller like the Mackie universal but finding what I want it hard. There are couple of alternatives but you'd have thought that control surfaces would be popular.

Yeah, that would be appealing for a few but I think the reason companies don't bother with making stuff like that is because the software market travels so fast. People just keep buying them and moving on to the next thing. It's easy to buy VST's etc A hardware controller with specifics will have a short shelf like and be worthless on the second hand market. It would be the equivalent of selling a year old phone, barely worth anything you paid for it. Shame really.

I really want a Logic controller like the Mackie universal but finding what I want it hard. There are couple of alternatives but you'd have thought that control surfaces would be popular.

Receptor seems to be doing OK. If anything I think it's the opposite - being able to load any arbitrary VSTi on it (limited by CPU power of course, but that's relatively cheap) would let it do a lot more for the end user, which would mean less reason to buy new hardware to get particular sounds.

I know people have built themselves things like this as one offs over the years (it's really just a small general purpose computer, audio interface and MIDI controller in a single box), it just seems like we're at a point where it could be mass produced pretty inexpensively. I suppose those controllers with built in iPad docks kind of fll a similar niche, but access to VSTs on something that's more tightly integrated not as underpowered for the money as an iPad would be a lot better. Not something I'd personally want I don't think but seems like something that would be really useful for a lot of people.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Yamaha CS & YC half price in the local store, went for the YC because of my love for Suicide, I am loving it, capable of sounding like a monster too.

• 1 month later...