IGNORED

Yamaha Reface

Audioblysk

Guest bitroast

hhMMMHMMMmmmm...

From the description for the Yamaha CS..

"Provide various types of synthesis and the physical oscillator analog modeling engine."

sounds/looking more like roland AIRA range here ?

think i might stick with tx81z + external controller (assuming i can put it together no problem) for now .. maybe .. we'll see. not 100% sold yet. what is this ..

Huh. Well, I guess I'll have to hear it. My initial reaction is confusion... these seem hilariously under-powered and lacking tons of features to compete with the marketplace. I like that the DX is easier to dive into, but being a 4-op and being digital (already have a better digital yamaha), I don't see the need to get it aside from ease of editing.

I don't understand the hate for mini-keys. What, does everyone have sausage fingers or something?!

If an instrument is going to have 8 voices I want a keyboard that I can properly play on. Mini keys are great for messing about and cutting cost, but when it comes to chords and fast runs, mini-keys are a fucking pain for someone who learned on full sized keys.

The cs is just a va synth with a handful of sliders and no display for deeper editing. I guess it will be like a Gaia, although much more limited as far as editing is concerned. There doesn't seem to be any memory banks either?

Edited by Gocab

Well, the dx seems OK.

Jesus, the touch controls seem busted, why not stick sliders on there instead?

Edited by Gocab

Guest bitroast

Well, the dx seems OK.

Jesus, the touch controls seem busted, why not stick sliders on there instead?

yeah seriously. he seemed to be struggling ??? maybe using 4 fingers all at once isn't a good idea. either way, why have weird interface on something that just needs a good interface and OMG these demos are so terrible hahaha.

"FM synth with classic 80s and EDM sound". glad the EDM sound is got covered :)

Get out of here with the social media stuff, so stupid.

Ohmy that girl looks very uncomfortable.

Edited by Gocab

Guest Chesney

But Jesus, they all sound so fucking good.

I could play the Rhodes and wurli (badly) all day. The cs has that cs osc sound even if the res seems to go higher. The dx is crystal.

Not heard the other yet.

Which vids are you lot watching?

Guest Chesney

I watched some funny goon called dr mix. Showed them off really well.

It has sold them to me, even if I don't use them in any projects I will get a lot of playing fun from them.

Not looked at price but you are getting a lot of mileage from these. The sounds are spot on as far as I can tell.

Only drawback is the mini keys. Good for messing but at least you can control them with bigger keys when need be.

Sonicstate have a bunch of reface vids up now.

I like how in the CS vid, when asked to demonstrate how the bottom end sounds, the demo guy produces some midtone farts and calls it a day. Oh and it uses AN technology... so I guess same synth engine as the an1x late 90s synth? That's kind of vintage!

Edited by Gocab

but being a 4-op and being digital (already have a better digital yamaha), I don't see the need to get it aside from ease of editing.

What is the benefit of an analog FM synth? Do they even exist? FM is enough of a nightmare already, I wouldn't want oscillator drift to fuck up any precise patches I'd come up with.

I watched the sonicstate dx showcase, sounds fkn awesome. Not sure if it's $700 awesome, but I might have to actually test one to see how it feels.

Holy Shit, it's $700? They're having a laugh.

The DX I would probably go for if it was a lot cheaper.

Edited by Gocab

Guest bitroast

yeah, i saw a website covering todays reveal and mentioned £347 per synth, which either seems wrong or is way over priced imo!!! ???

Yeah, that price is listed on sonicstate as well.

Guest bitroast

the sonicstate dx demo is definitely looking better.

i'm getting the feeling yamaha have terrible pr guys cos holy shit these demos are prettty, pretty terrible. but the sonicstate one ventured into ok territory :)

still, harsh price. but not hating on it anymore.

if these were like $250, i'd buy all of 'em except the organ

(even though that looks decent.........for a fucking organ)

i've gone back and forth on these in the last hour

i really like the Yamaha AN1X (which is what the CS guts are based on)

which is funny because I was saying a couple weeks ago:

"a nice little AN1X would be nice"

thing can nail the CS brass sound

even though it was marketed as a Trance Machine

but ~$550usd is a bit much I think

the DX and the CP look decent

it'd be nice to have a compact little Rhodes

for Bitches Brew or Music Is Rotted One Note vibes

but i just wish these were a little cheaper

i think at $350-400 I'd instantly play eenie-meenie-miney-moe and buy one

(but not the organ of course lol)

anyway, watmm asked for a little DX

and they got a little DX

and so what, now you don't want a little DX?

I thought you said you wanted a little DX?

nice poetic post

I would definitely buy one if they were ~$400AU, but I'd probably get a nord drum instead considering they're under $600..

WHoa..... So right now I'm watching the Yamaha Reface vid and realized...:

I'm watching Japanese people speaking second-language English, for a Japanese company product launch, in an English language promo video, whilst I sit in Tokyo, in an office space surrounded by native Japanese people, as a Japanese who speaks first-language English, drinking the Japanese version of Monster Energy drink.

I'm tripping so hard right now. And no, I'm not gonna buy these $47,000 high-end toys. In a couple years at ~$250, they might be aiiight.

Wanna play these in person, though.

It's weird how everyone on the left side of the screen is tweaking.

Edited by peace 7

Guest pixelives

Garbage. CS sounds nothing like a CS80 they were touting in the teasers, more like a poly CS 01. Guess that's to be expected, though.

Might pick up the dx in a few years when they're rock bottom.

Terrible teaser campaign for terrible product. They must know this...

Guest pixelives

Interesting to note how badly the big three Japanese companies have awkwardly fumbled PR and launches of late. So incredibly awkward, almost to the level of a parody of Japanese corporate style. Korg has fared slightly better but they have that UK educated young guy pushing things..