Sign in to follow this  
Audioblysk

Yamaha Reface

Guest bitroast

if only !!!!

This DX has pretty decent sound engine it seems.

Guest Chesney

Designed by clueless marketing? You dizzyblud?

The interfaces are so simple and intuitive it's unreal. + you are getting as hands on if not more than the originals they emulate with THAT sound. Just think how many classic keyboards (that will take up crazy real estate in your studio) you are getting in this small package and infinitely better sounding emulations than any menu driven preset in a performance workstation costing a few grand.

These things are not built for us finicky knob twiddlers unless we want to make that so.

Yeah, the price is an issue especially if you plan on getting all of them. But I just keep going back to those sounds. I could listen to that Rhodes forever. The key dynamics sound spot on.

Least impressive is the CS to me but it DOES sound like a CS, Trust me. Less so when you tweak deeper. It does not sound like a CS01 particularly, that has a sound of it's own. Also the filter sounds great until the res gets high, sounds like they made it get closer to self osc which is very un CSlike but I imagine careful taming and the CS filter levels are in there.

Also, I think that the magic slider you are on about bit is a mutlifunctional parameter depending on what waveform is selcted. Might need to look at that more.

I personally think that yamaha have nailed their initial entry back into the arena.

I do think that there is more advanced stuff on the horizon. I think they have worked hard on the sound and are using these as a guage. Korg have done it over many times and succeeded and Roland obviosly followed and backed up their initial entry too with some interesting modular.

They could just keep the interface on the things minimal and then sell a separate controller for all the parameters. That could work with all of them.

Guest Chesney

That's how i'd use them. Midi'd to a full size controller with Mod wheel

Well, after seeing the videos, I think they are really interesting. Nice variety of sounds from each module, compact format, battery powered.

Of course these are targeted at keyboard players, not at DAW users. And I think that those are really interesting for a keyboard player, expecially because they sound good, they are portable, the keyboard is playable, they are battery powered. Which basically it means you can play anywhere you want to play... but if you doesn't know how to play... they are pretty useless.

Guest bitroast

yeah, im easing up on this a bit. definitely feeling outside the target market.

the dx one still has my attention at least :)

That price tho...

Guest skibby

i guess its really an issue of status and the crisis of democracy

Edited by skibby

vl?

fuck wait whats going on, full fledged physical modeling keyboard with tons of knobs and faders? how is this actually happening, lol

424133d1413286025-yamaha-wants-hear-your

Edited by John Ehrlichman

you can tell these things were designed entirely by their (clueless) marketing department, and not by anyone who actually uses synths.

yeah thats true because clearly their marketing department are VL physical modeling heads (sarcasm)

on this thread it says these are prototypes by Yamaha and they want feedback from users before moving foward http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/12/04/should-yamaha-make-these-digital-synth-designs/

but the part of the yamaha discussion forum they link to is a dead link, anyone know how to get in the mix and provide feedback to yamaha about these?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

It's just a concept by a fan, Yamaha aren't involved.

vl?

fuck wait whats going on, full fledged physical modeling keyboard with tons of knobs and faders? how is this actually happening, lol

424133d1413286025-yamaha-wants-hear-your

those are fan-made wish-list prototypes

like the definition of "too good to be true"

fuuuuck, cock teased to the max.

Yeah, I'd definitely pick up one of those.

Most opinions have been expressed so far but to add mine to the fray, I think these sound pretty good but perhaps a little too expensive right now. Note, the price mentioned on the Sonicstate videos is £347 but the retailers are showing it as £289 for pre-order. So you can do the maths to figure out what that means in your country.

I think I'll possibly be tempted by the DX if I see one for the £250 mark. With that specific version, I liked that it was mentiond in the Sonicstate video that there will be an editor made available for it. Despite it only being sine waves, every operator has feedback which can go +ve and -ve which is quite a unique thing for hardware FM. It is also well place for midi CC's.

Imagine this WATMM friendly situation: Sequenced from the MnM, perhaps getting into some of those nifty arp tricks, then with CCs plocked and further tom-foolery with LFOs further controlling CCs. Then during playback using the little edit touchstrips to further tweak (perhaps changing the algorithim for extra double bonus) whilst recording the whole mess. Yeah, I'm interested.

Regarding the dx reface: It looks like they brought back the worst part of the dx7 (the editing controls). I got no idea what they were thinking with that.

How many FM synths exist with one control per function though?

A couple.

Despite costing $940,000 per unit, they are reeeally quite nice. Industrial design wise and feature wise, as well. If at $300, I might pickup the CP. Cuz if I buy a keyboard, at this point, it'd just be nice to sit in the corner and lap play. If I wanted hardcore synth shit for music composition, I could just use Logic. I've been looking for a standalone keyboard for ages, and I never considered lap playing. The CP and YC have made me consider it.

To me, the added feature of these, after watching sonicstate videos, is how close controllers are to the hands that are playing. With that perspective in mind, minikeys makes sense... especially cos they seems very playable. You can play and adjust parameters at the same time... Dorian Concept comes to mind for that style of playing. He was constantly playing and adjusting the sound... but of course he could PLAY, and minikeys are no troubles for him. So I guess they are addressed to those kind of players.

Apart from the DX which could intrigue DAW folks as well... in the end, you need a keyboard to test your sound design, and you could "lap sound design" with that.

I do not work for yamaha :) but I can see who this things are addressed to... I cannot imagine whether they are going to be successful tho. I sent the link to a friend of mine who is a good keyboard player, and he wasn't really impressed. So... :cerious:

edit: typos

Edited by pierlu

If I could play keyboard I'd buy one of these in a second, thought they sounded very good, the CP especially.

According to the Japanese Yamaha site, these are a run of approx. 5,000 units for the first year.

In Japan, CS/DX September 1, CP/YC November 2, WTF. But, list price is 45,000 yen, which is about $370 US.

Guest Chesney

I have wanted a DX7 since the mid 80s but only this year finally got an FM synth (not including 2OP PSS keyboards)

I got the DX100 and found it a breeze to edit on the panel, really fast. This reface speeds it up by nearly 4 times.

It's a myth that these DX synths are a pain to program. The problem is a lot of people cannot be arsed to learn the FM concept so it's always guess work and and if you don't like atonal clangs then it's going be real hard finding those tuneful sweet spots.

According to the Japanese Yamaha site, these are a run of approx. 5,000 units for the first year.

In Japan, CS/DX September 1, CP/YC November 2, WTF. But, list price is 45,000 yen, which is about $370 US.

ooh, if it's 45k yen then I might be tempted to pick up a DX when I visit in September!