IGNORED

Corny New Age Music

Is this cultural appropriation?

nah...

i'd say this just might be:

[youtubehd]Lag--0JQMVo[/youtubehd]

or this

If I remember right the Deep Forest one was more offensive because not only was the sample unauthorized but the linear notes had some very condescending tone about how this kind of music harnessed primitive and raw emotions from the music of naive and innocent "native" culture from tribes and ethnic groups living outside of modern society, and yet the music was some industry standard breakbeats + uncleared use of archived music recorded and preserved by ethnomusicologists. This shit made the producers very rich very fast.

World music in the form of new age and hybrid genres has always had a turbulent history since the 80s because it was literally born in a conference and created as a marketing genre and category. I took a class about world pop music (i.e. music made outside of Western countries that infuses western pop and styles with local ones, not the other way around) and we spent a couple classes about the "World Music" phenomenon. Most of it centers around Graceland which unlike many other "world music" albums after it was actually culturally sincere and critically acclaimed, but basically ushered the term the public conscious.

I have an embarrassing amount of these on cassettes. Goes hand in hand with my enjoyment of vaporwave and underground synth drone. Lot of Narada, Windham Hill, American Gramaphone, etc. Sampling with with my pitch shift capable cassette deck is something I never got around to (yet)

This is one of the greatest things to happen to mankind

It's a Sony model with 30% +/- too. It's fucking magical.

What's also incredible about this genre is the corny stuff is very far removed from groundbreaking and objectively important and excellent releases in ambient, experimental, and ethnic music in terms of sincerity and context but musically is often only different in subtle ways and instrumentation. Kitaro is a good example of an artist who bridges the gap between both. Yanni's first album, released without fanfare/notice in 1980, is actually decent.

As someone who likes collecting old tapes, I've noticed people bought and made mixtapes of stuff we'd consider awesome and stuff we'd consider dentist waiting room muzak together. A good example of the Pure Moods compilation.

We know of it as this:

But the original release had a far different tracklisting, with Eno and Orb on the same disc as Kenny G and Enigma.

Yeah, in the 90s The Orb sometimes got categorized as new age music in shops which is why they parodied self-help tapes etc on at least Orbus Terrarum.

underground synth drone

whats some good underground synth drone?

Off the top of my head, Emeralds, Pulse Emitter, Motion Sickness of Time Travel, stuff like that. Synth is a little too specific I guess, lot of their peers do guitar based ambient / drone too.

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, no enya?

https://youtu.be/6O_yPWBn5Hw

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, no enya?

HEY! Enya isn't corny

everything i saw at glastonbury was corny new age music to me.

HEY! Enya isn't corny

if terrible means corny, well she's corny.

everything i saw at glastonbury was corny new age music to me.

HEY! Enya isn't corny

if terrible means corny, well she's corny.

even her song boadicea!?

What's also incredible about this genre is the corny stuff is very far removed from groundbreaking and objectively important and excellent releases in ambient, experimental, and ethnic music in terms of sincerity and context but musically is often only different in subtle ways and instrumentation.

Kat Epple really needs to be noted here as a great example of the latter.

[youtubehd]i13A_YeCITc[/youtubehd]

• 2 weeks later...

Come on guys, Enya, Enigma and Robert Rich aren't corny!!

Yuji Ohno is my fav composer evur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNF1v_KaLA

Wow, great stuff!

Cosmos is a great record as well, some of it was used as a soundtrack for Shingu, for example the battle theme:

But he's mostly famous for his Lupin III soundtrack I think (havent heard/seen it).