Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Prodoction Tops

serious advice only Top Prodoction Tops

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#51 auxien

auxien

just one thing i wanna know

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,724 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

lolz @ the 'dad' folder

#52 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:05 AM

bringing this thread back, too many good tips that have helped me grow immensely as a producer.

recently i've been printing waveforms out on paper to colour in with mustard and bbq sauce. once you scan it back in, the computer interprets the condiments as 3d sound waves which sound really rich, try it out on a wholemeal bun to keep the carbs down. 

#53 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

This was the thread that made me finally register here after a couple years of casually lurking.

#54 Perezvon

Perezvon

yes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • 37 topics
  • Joined 03-September 14
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/perezvon

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

bringing this thread back, too many good tips that have helped me grow immensely as a producer.

recently i've been printing waveforms out on paper to colour in with mustard and bbq sauce. once you scan it back in, the computer interprets the condiments as 3d sound waves which sound really rich, try it out on a wholemeal bun to keep the carbs down. 

I've recently gotten myself a 3d printer so I can print a track, compress it with my bare hands while blowing into it to add a bit of air. Then I use tape which adds some more natural glue effect to the piece.

#55 QQQ

QQQ

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • 20 topics
  • Joined 29-December 14
  • XBOX360:HappyMeltedCity
  • Wii U Username:HappyMeltedCity

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

I've recently gotten myself a 3d printer so I can print a track, compress it with my bare hands while blowing into it to add a bit of air. Then I use tape which adds some more natural glue effect to the piece.
I prefer to wrap the tape around the 3d print before leaving on the radiator to dry for 2.4 days (the longer you leave it and the slower the burn the more you get that 'tape warble', ya dig?) The tape melts nicely into the print itself.. Analogue warmth for days.

Don't forget to compress it between two books after and then punch a hole through to play it on your vinyl player. There you go - pressed your own vinyl for under £2.80!! AND if you play it backwards it will summon our Dark Lord and savior DJ aphex twin!!

Edited by QQQ, 02 October 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#56 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adoomedventure
  • PSN:Rabovenk

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

Dont forget to use compression on your bus, it will make your tracks short and fat.
Spoiler

Edited by Gocab, 02 October 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#57 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:51 AM

Spoiler

Edited by Mesh Gear Fox, 02 October 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#58 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,303 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

Ah, I thought it'd been renamed - was gonna rename it back myself but wasn't 100% that's what it was originally called !

#59 Dpek

Dpek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • 82 topics
  • Joined 28-July 06

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:02 AM

This is something that a pro from industry told me and it's a secret that's been in use from 60s onwards but I'll share as I think we must use it to immortalise IDM forever:

Record everything in reverse. I'm not saying that you play straight and set the tape to roll backwards - nope, the tape must roll forwards, YOU must play backwards. Every Rihanna song that you hear was made this way - she sang "Allerbmu" instead of "Umbrella" and so on. It is more tricky for instrument players as you must tune your guitar to have a slow attack and fast release but it is no biggie, it can be done with reversing the position of guitar, so you have the neck in your right hand - Hendrix was doing this for everyone to see so industry killed him and made it look like a suicide. Actually I think I am also in danger for speaking about this secret but I already recorded 100 songs in reverse and they are all automatically hits, so I think I'll exchange them for my life. Top scientists said that the reverse-hit-making works because you don't know how the track will sound after you'll reverse it and the subconscious genius kicks in. I don't know for sure, but - wait, Madonna is already on the phone, she heard my 100 tracks and wants to sing in reverse to them - gotta go, bye

#60 BCM

BCM

The King

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • 285 topics
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

when producing black music try wearnig pair of in-ear headphones, then putting big ones over the top.  this help hear many more bass.

#61 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

Even better with 4 subwoofers, one for each bass.

Also, put blankets on them. Cover all your bases.

Edited by Gocab, 04 October 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#62 Ragnar

Ragnar

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • 493 topics
  • Joined 09-September 07

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

wearing single earbud over your ear when not in use makes you hear super secret dickfart frequencies

#63 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

A more professional solution, though, is to convert to a True Infinite Baffle Monitor System. It's a pretty simple, affordable, DIY mod that anyone with a basic tool set should be able to complete in an afternoon, and it is the only way to achieve bass extension below 0Hz using conventional designs so it's well worth the effort.

Materials:

• one sheet of 1" marine grade, voidless, Baltic birch plywood
  • two sheets of heavy paper (x/y dimensions should be at least 1dm greater than the corresponding dimensions of your monitors)
  • one sheet of KoskiFlex
  • A sufficient amount of A-Tech 212 EHV epoxy. The amount necessary can be calculated as the volume of a box: (X+w) x (Y+h) x Z where X and Y correspond to the width and height of your monitor, w and h both = 2cm and Z = 2.4".  So, for example, if you were upgrading a pair of Tetra 222 speakers you would need exactly 4.96215 liters of epoxy.
  • a roll of 1" blue painters' tape
  • nails

Construction:

1. Place a sheet of paper on the floor.
  2. Place one of your monitors on the paper, with the woofer pointed downward.
  3. Carefully trace the shape of your monitor's front baffle onto the paper, adding a border of exactly 1cm on all sides.  This dimension is critical, so measure twice cut one as they say!
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 with your other speaker.
  5. Using the spray adhesive, glue the papers onto which you traced your speakers onto the 1" marine grade, voidless, Baltic birch plywood.  Be sure to glue them so that your tracing faces out!
  6. Carefully cut the 1" marine grade, voidless, Baltic birch plywood to the traced patterns
  7. Using the KoskiFlex, construct a wall around the circumference of each piece of 1" marine grade, voidless, Baltic birch plywood.  The inner depth of the resulting structure must be 2.4" at all points.
  8. Attach each of your monitors to a ceiling mounted winch or small crane.
  9. Place the wooden parts completed in step 7 on the floor underneath each speaker, with the 1" marine grade, voidless, Baltic birch plywood resting on the floor.  These must be precisely such that each speaker is precisely centered above and oriented to correspond with the tracings completed in steps 3-4.
  10. Adjust your winches/cranes so that when fully lowered, the speakers will be elevated 1.5cm above the plywood (that is, 1.591" from the floor or other work surface)
  11. Prepare the A-Tech 212 EHV epoxy according to the manufacturer's instructions, and pour the quantity calculated in step 4 of the bill of materials into each of the plywood structures completed in step 8.  Precise measurements are critical!
  12. Working carefully, fully lower the cranes/winches prepared in steps 8 and 10.  There will be overflow.  This cannot be avoided.
  13. After epoxy has cured, clean up overflow and remove KoskiFlex.  Your True Infinite Baffle Monitor System has now been completed, and can be painted or veneered to your liking.

NOTE: this method will only work with front ported or fully sealed monitors.  Other speaker designs must be converted to one of these types before modification.

I have personally performed this mod on every pair of monitors I have owned and the improvement of my mixes has been huge!

Edited by RSP, 07 October 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#64 Leon Sumbitches

Leon Sumbitches

1000 Club

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 16-May 13
  • Interests:JUSTICE FOR THE BOTANICALLY IGNORANT

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

I remember trying that years ago but just using shitty hardboard rather than 1" marine grade, voidless, Baltic birch plywood, classic amateur mistake.

Spoiler

#65 auxien

auxien

just one thing i wanna know

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,724 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Amazing! just tryed that and it worked great but i accidently in the closet instead of stufio and so now i have neck problems lol

any suggestion guyz

h

a

v

i

n

g

t

o

t

i

l

t

m

y

h

e

a

d

u

s

e

com

put

er

#66 Perezvon

Perezvon

yes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • 37 topics
  • Joined 03-September 14

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

I've been having fun today transposing and slowing down some new tunes of mine on ableton by -12st. Now they all sound like Actress vs Hotline Miami.

#67 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

whenever i want to slow down my waveforms i just blow a whistle and hold up a "stop" sign. instant vaporwave!

#68 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

The best way is to print them to analog tape, and then get a friend to hold one end while you hold the other and pull.

#69 Perezvon

Perezvon

yes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • 37 topics
  • Joined 03-September 14

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

Producing in slow motion also works like a charm

#70 Guest_Chesney_*

Guest_Chesney_*
  • Guests
  • 27 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

Always wear oven gloves when using analogues, they can get toasty once left to tune themselves. Do not press any keys while leaving to warm up. Analogues don't like to hear notes when tuning and will get annoyed. Better still leave them alone and don't play anything else around them to keep on their good side.

#71 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • 285 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

Putting these under your synths is the only pro way to maintain tuning stability:

$_35.JPG

#72 BCM

BCM

The King

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

a plastic bucket hung from the ceiling with a piece of string makes an excellent cost-effective vocal booth.

#73 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

If you can't afford real analog synths you can glue wood chipping to your monitor for a more realistic vintage feel from your VSTs.

#74 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Gold plated, oxygen free MIDI cables for those warm, buttery lows.

#75 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

when you're finished with a tune, open the waveform up in an editor and read each sample value into dictation software, and then use that info to convert it back to a wave. this helps add a final analogue stage to the mix. you can upsample by using a calculator to work out the points in-between the samples, and then you can fit extra IDM in those spaces.