I bite through it has good parts. Parts of it sound too reminiscent of Oval's O stuff for me (1:27), except the physical modeling synthesis tinkering is a bit more basic. That part I don't mind as much as those bright hiphop sounding chords firing off awkwardly for the first 2/3rds of the track. I liked the Kaoss Edge tracks on the website a hell of a lot better than this first track personally (first track sounds way more what I would expect as a followup to R+7, was hoping for more of a curveball)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I know, I heard the oval sound too, it almost sounds exactly like the noodly generative physical modeling from Oh!

thirded on this.

but i love that sound, and don't know many other places to get my fill, so am loving it.

I don't think I like this new stuff. At all. I was hyped to hear Kaoss Edge and a track from GOD, but this just... isn't good. I guess I'll listen to Returnal again and try to forget any of this recent business happened. It's kind of ruining OPN's vibe for me. At least the chords at the end of Looking Glass were kind of cool. I actually thought that song was fake, though, until I saw it on DLo's Twitter. Heartbreaking.

Also, to whomever it was who posted those R Plus Seven promotional loops earlier, thank you. I really enjoyed those when I was waiting for the album to come out. Those loops ended up actually being better than the album itself. I was massively disappointed when I found out that the Along loop only appeared once in the entire album.

Edited by drillkicker

Getting bored of all the media drip-feeding that goes on nowadays. I'll get the album when it's released in a few months time. Until then I'll think about other things more necessary. This thread has been going on since the end of june, so it I'll be 5 months until it will be released. Just kills my interest tbh.

Ho hum.

2 months -13 nov

I'm really liking the sampled DJENT crunches scattering about. it's weird but cool

that was the highlight of the track for me

i have an obvious affinity for physical modeling synthesis, but im also a bit anal about the way people use it. Right now it still seems like most people utilizing it are still in sort of the YAmaha DX7 preset phase. Oversteps also had a lot of it and i wasn't particularly fond of it there either, so its probably just more a problem with me as im sure almost everyone else wont give a shit about what im talking about

Edited by John Ehrlichman

i have an obvious affinity for physical modeling synthesis, but im also a bit anal about the way people use it. Right now it still seems like most people utilizing it are still in sort of the YAmaha DX7 preset phase.

lol

didn't care about the last opn album that much. liked this track a lot though. listened to it like 4 times in a row now ;O

what's a quintessential track of oneohtrix for someone who hasn't gotten in to him?

This was reveal by Jasondonvervan that really got me into his music.

Great track, but does this sample Public Enemy's 'Miuzi Weighs A Ton'? Or at least riff very close to it? It's the first few seconds of the track (the album version is on youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu90lpTh814

Also, as a vaporwave fan his eccojams release is a classic.

the orchestra sample at the top of the PE track is a stock sample from either emulator or fairlight catalog iirc. it's in a few other songs also.

don't think opn is using the exact sample but could be he stretched it and put some verb on it.

i have an obvious affinity for physical modeling synthesis, but im also a bit anal about the way people use it. Right now it still seems like most people utilizing it are still in sort of the YAmaha DX7 preset phase.

lol

didn't care about the last opn album that much. liked this track a lot though. listened to it like 4 times in a row now ;O

that's exactly how i feel about this new tune and the last album

p.s. JE, what's the best inexpensive phy-mo synth in your opinion?

“I want to make like three-minute songs, self-contained, kind of formally contrasting between what I regard as new electronic music that’s interesting and my need to rage. I’m exposed a lot to different, ‘cool’ underground music when I’m on tour in Europe, that I usually hate it all. And the underlying theme in a lot of that music, without throwing anybody under the bus, is there’s this ‘dread.’ But dread is affectively imprisoned in this one cliché that film uses all the time. Like if you watch True Detective or something, it sounds like a lot those dudes I see at festivals that are like … scary? I feel nothing from that stuff! I’m so dead! Dread to me is like the clown fromIt. It’s not like this foggy plume of black ink. Dread is a fucking psychotic, sour, yellow, bilious thing that gets under your skin and has a weird-ass voice. So, well, ‘How do I do that my style?’ How do I take the best aspects of contemporary electronic-music formalism: weird sample truncation and my editing style, and things that I’ve been developing, but then also make it feel like a little bit like, I don’t know, like a psychotic clown or something?”

i get it, i used to spend a lot of time at warehouse raves in my twenties, and i used to see people who were for want of a better word, scary. or alien.

like gay dudes into leather, or this one guy who used to wear angel wings all the time, this weird subculture of scumbag weirdos. ketamine heads who live in squats and have a job just cos it's paying for the next tab or gram. i guess that's where it connects into the black metal thing too. weird outsider culture. i really like the fact this seems to be what the album is about.

I really don't get how anyone could like those Kaoss Edge tracks. Those vocals are so shitty and the lyrics are cheesy as hell. They sound like very rough and unfinished drafts that Daniel put together in about an hour (or less). At least Bite Through It obviously had some effort put into it.

Edited by drillkicker

I really don't get how anyone could like those Kaoss Edge tracks. Those vocals are so shitty and the lyrics are cheesy as hell. They sound like very rough and unfinished drafts that Daniel put together in about an hour (or less). At least Bite Through It obviously had some effort put into it.

It's all about the a e s t h e t i c s . They sound sort of like cyber goth/industrial from a videogame.

It's all about the a e s t h e t i c s . They sound sort of like cyber goth/industrial from a videogame.

i love gothic-industrial dances fucking hot.