That had the doctor lookout track on it too right?

Nah that was on the Beached single a couple of years later. The Saint had their own really fucking excellent reworking The Sinner on the b-side.

ah yeah wicked that's right.

This album is just clicking with me more and more. I had issues with both this album and R+7, I think largely because some of the concepts that were being pushed with both albums were kind of disturbing. But now I'm just focusing on the music, and oh man, it is amazing.

I made a playlist to fix the GoD tracklist, and I am finding myself listening to it a lot more often:

1 Ezra

2 Eccojam

3 Mutant Standard

4 Child of Rage

5 Animals

6 I Bite Through It

7 Freaky Eyes

8 No Good

It flows really well this way, and it's more satisfying to me even though it's just 8 tracks.

Edited by ganus

man, what ever happened to Cindy Crawford...

But wtf, this is pretentious, boring, and ... LAZY

so it reflects most of his work?

:nope:

Diggin GoD again after thread bump

Wasn't really that into the Rifts stuff (which I bought when it came out) but his stuff from Returnal onwards is just getting better and weirder and better

Okay, yeah, that video was pretty pointless. And yeah, video editing is lazy lazy lazy. Should have hired some former youtube poop folks, could have used that footage to much better effect. Also, not a fan of Nate Boyce in general, but the live visuals for Animals were great... Why didn't they go more that route?

Guest Chesney

Still think his hard drive died 2 days before he was meant to present the album to warp so he basically pressed record while scanning his MWXT presets and thought, "well, it's as good as anything else I have done"

Guest bitroast

Still think his hard drive died 2 days before he was meant to present the album to warp so he basically pressed record while scanning his MWXT presets and thought, "well, it's as good as anything else I have done"

Best New Music

lets see... a 9.5 is way too much for this album. a 9.3 seem right. But I think there aren't enough hi hats... so a 9.1 seems right. 9.1 is also my favorite number so. That really makes it better than a 9.3... so it should be a 9.3... but 9.3 isn't as cool a number as 9.1, and 9.5 is a good replacement... so... it should be a 9.5. I think. But there is that annoying distorty part about 20 minutes in the album. UGH. Decisions. Decisions.

I can't stop thinking about this.... I don't like even numbers, so a 9.5, while not being even, is still even, if you know what I mean... so a 9.7!... but a 9.7 implies luck, which I think doesn't capture the essence of this album very well.. so a 9.9 it is! Well at that point, it's a bit insulting to say YOU ALMOST GOT A 10 FROM THE GREAT ALMIGHTY BRISBOT, so it ends up being kinda a negative score you know?

SO THIS ALBUM IS A 10/10

Edited by Brisbot

I think folks that think OPN is a hack, doesn't put in effort, etc. are probably too put off by his aesthetic, and/or possibly the hipster/pretentious attitude he seems to have in his press, to hear the music without bias... Which I understand. But you might be missing out.

OPN is at the top of their game with GoD, and compositionally, they are the only person right now that I know of who can hold a candle to the attention to detail and effort that was put into Syro. Because they are the real deal. They aren't just fucking around with concepts, they are trying to make memorable, engaging music.

I get the same thing I get with AFX, where I notice new things and focus on different aspects of the music over time. The music is just different: different pallet, different musical background, different methods of laying of the parts.

Look past the prentious art side of things, and listen with you ears to the composition of Child of Rage. It is impressive.

Edited by ganus

Val Kilmer on the phone to his mom: "yeah just got home. It was pretty good. It was art."

His mom: "honey I'm so proud of you."

haha

i worked on a movie with mr kilmer, he was a very strange and entertaining man

i hope he is in good health, he has lost a lot of weight