IGNORED

~ Susumu Yokota ~ RIP

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

Susumu Yokota passed away in March..

Lo Recordings statement:

“Yokota’s music was always completely individual, always esoteric yet never wilfully indulgent. His touch was that of a master craftsman, creating intricate musical jewels that sparkled like no others. There’s no doubt that if he had been in a position to play live concerts his reputation would far exceed many of his contemporaries. He will be sorely missed by those who value quality and originality in music.”

RIP Susumu Yokota

The world of excellent electronic music has lost a wonderful musician.

Why the delay in the announcement? Or was it announced and we missed it?

His family declined to announce it until now, and that he had a long-term illness but no other specifics. I speculate it might have been for years, his last album was 2012 I think.

Real shame in his passing. Reminds me of Namlook's unexpected passing at a similar age.

Sakura and Grinning Cat are lush, never delved any further and this sad announcement will make me do so, 54 is no age.

I was so gutted to learn of his passing this morning. Been nagging at me all day. His music had a pretty profound effect on me. I put together a tribute mix, which spans his catalog, aside from his house material. A friend of mine is putting that one together. There is definitely more to him beyond his albums for Leaf and Lo Recordings.

Guest Enter a new display name

He made some of the deepest ambient tracks I have ever heard. RIP.

I was so gutted to learn of his passing this morning. Been nagging at me all day. His music had a pretty profound effect on me. I put together a tribute mix, which spans his catalog, aside from his house material. A friend of mine is putting that one together. There is definitely more to him beyond his albums for Leaf and Lo Recordings.

Thanks for putting this together, had a chance to listen to it at work today

• 2 weeks later...

https://susumuyokota.bandcamp.com/album/my-energy-ep

6-Track Tribute EP selected from his back catalogue. Proceeds go to Animal Refuge Kansai, a charity chosen by his family.

Just listening now and I forgot how gorgeous Kodomotachi was. Looking forward to discovering all the beautiful sounds he had to offer the world over the coming months/years (There's so many!)

Sakura permanently changed my perception of music. The Boy and The Tree and Laputa were also incredible. I'm going to check out all the other releases I missed. So much unabashed beauty and courage in his sounds.

• 4 months later...