IGNORED

Battles - La Di Da Di

Kavinsky

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. Wonder where they'll take their direction this time.

sounds like a bit like Steve Reich, 80´s avantgarde and typical crazy ryhtmical math rock style.

Yes

YES

I've spun my copy of Gloss Drop so many times I swear it's starting to wear off. It's been a while since I've been REALLY excited about an album but I just love Battles

No news on guest vocalists though right? Might be completely instrumental?

Also great cover art. Great live track you posted Kavinsky. Great EVERYTHING so far

Apart from the Kazu Makino one, which was just... alright (kind of a filler track), I think all of the guest vocalists killed it. I can do with a completely instrumental album though.

Also...

Also great cover art. Great live track you posted Kavinsky. Great EVERYTHING so far

gotta say, "La Di Da Di" is kinda lame for an album name

Cool. Wonder where they'll take their direction this time.

sounds like a bit like Steve Reich, 80´s avantgarde and typical crazy ryhtmical math rock style.

sounds wicked but god damn stanier stop using those fkn jingle bells, what is this xmas in july?

Guest Chesney

Hated Gloss Drop but Mirrored and the EP are stellar.

One of the only bands that I saw live before hearing the music that I thought I was witnessing something "new"

Fuck yes! In a year mostly void of interesting new releases (with Current 93 and Autechre both disappointingly quiet), this is really getting me hyped! Their latest album was definitely a groundbreaking one (especially the collab with Yamataka Eye), so I can't wait to hear what they've got for us now. With the OPN, Do Make Say Think, and Battles releases forthcoming, the second half of 2015 could end up compensating for the boring first half after all.

Fuck yes! In a year mostly void of interesting new releases (with Current 93 and Autechre both disappointingly quiet), this is really getting me hyped! Their latest album was definitely a groundbreaking one (especially the collab with Yamataka Eye), so I can't wait to hear what they've got for us now. With the OPN, Do Make Say Think, and Battles releases forthcoming, the second half of 2015 could end up compensating for the boring first half after all.

Outside of this obscure little corner of the electronic music world it's been a pretty good year for music though.

Outside of this obscure little corner of the electronic music world it's been a pretty good year for music though.

It's the first year in a long time that hasn't had any interesting releases at all for me. Not a single thing has really caught my attention. The Squarepusher single was fucking incredible, but the rest of the album was forgettable. The AFX dump has been the only really interesting thing so far.

It's the first year in a long time that hasn't had any interesting releases at all for me. Not a single thing has really caught my attention. The Squarepusher single was fucking incredible, but the rest of the album was forgettable. The AFX dump has been the only really interesting thing so far.

its my favorite squarepusher album, i think its great

That's really an interesting video, they look like cool dudes and the new tracks sound excellent.

What I love about that band is that they don't really try to hard renewing themselves - they already have an excellent sound, and they just polish it to death. I think that's quite awesome, because they can mostly focus on the writing of the tunes.

Also, can't believe they spent 7 months in a studio to record Gloss Drop...That sounds incredible !

What I love about that band is that they don't really try to hard renewing themselves - they already have an excellent sound, and they just polish it to death. I think that's quite awesome, because they can mostly focus on the writing of the tunes.

They have a great sound, but I think the amount of polish is perhaps a disadvantage sometimes. Not so much in terms of the actual sound, but their live gigs seem sterile and calculated. They're more of a studio band, imo (nothing wrong with that).

They have a great sound, but I think the amount of polish is perhaps a disadvantage sometimes. Not so much in terms of the actual sound, but their live gigs seem sterile and calculated. They're more of a studio band, imo (nothing wrong with that).

100% agreed. I actually haven't seen them live, but everytime I do on youtube it's just like a downgraded version of the studio track

love this performance tho:

have you seen them live ? i saw them 3 times and it was lot of fun, there music is complicated and they have to be very concentrated and pay attention all the time, even between the tracks they have to make little breaks to adjust everyhting.

oh man that beanie on Dave´s head looks so ridiculous.

Thanks for these posts. Always made a point of picking up whatever they produce but never seen them live. I would agree that the nature of their music lends itself better to studio recordings which to me always sound incredible.

They look like they would be pretty good live to me. Cool little doc you posted, sv.

Gloss Drop never blew me away but I'm excited for the new stuff. Going to return to Gloss Drop as well and see if it resonates with me more today.

Archived