IGNORED

Battles - La Di Da Di

Kavinsky

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised watmm aint down w/ this.

Does everyone suddenly like Gloss Drop more than Mirrored?

Gloss Drop wasn't all that great, certainly not compared to their first releases. This does sound like it could be very good though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it's officially out now - what are everyones thoughts?

I personally love it - tail end has a bit of filler but I don't really mind. Great record imo. Less standout moments than Gloss Drop but much more cohesive and heavy hitting.

So it's officially out now - what are everyones thoughts?

I personally love it - tail end has a bit of filler but I don't really mind. Great record imo. Less standout moments than Gloss Drop but much more cohesive and heavy hitting.

I've only given it one listen so far, but I would agree with this. Nothing stood out especially, but it was ALL good! Actually, The Yabba stood out a little bit, but thats probably just because it was first and I haven't heard new Battles in ages. Looking forward to spinning it again on the way home.

great moments but again the live versions are for my ears much better because they leave more room/time to enjoy the progression. now 70% of the tracks sound like wall street from gloss drop which is short fun but also makes the listening less enjoyable and tiring.

Dot Com excited me most on first listen, but overall definitely a better album from beginning to end than Gloss. Good album!

No vocals was definitely a good approach. In fact, even the vocal tracks with Tyondai sound kind of weird in retrospect...

gave it a listen while cooking dinner earlier, like it a lot more than Gloss Drop. it's quite dense though, will need a few more listens to get the measure of it.

Still have to give this a more focused listening but it still sounds like unfocused jams to me - not fully fleshed out tracks. Good starting points that go nowhere, unlike the tracks in Gloss Drop which show a clear progression and structure. Still enjoyable at times though, tho not half as good as Gloss.

Don't really know yet, this album feels like a gigantic 50mn-long wall of sound falling from nowhere, but it's also been a long time since I didn't felt that way about an album. I feel like it's going to be a really rewarding grower.

The Yabba and FF Bada are awesome, they sound even better within the context of the album.

After a few more listens I can see this eventually growing into my favorite Battles album... this thing is SOLID! Gloss Drop has some amazing tracks, but it tapers off near the end of the album for me. Excited to keep listening.

Solid album after multiple listens. Consistent from beginning to end and tight as a steroid junky's t-shirt, something I felt their other albums didn't manage, even if Ddiamondd and Atlas are still their best tracks. 9/10

I'm surprised watmm aint down w/ this.

Does everyone suddenly like Gloss Drop more than Mirrored?

I liked Gloss Drop more than Mirrored after one listen. Really good album.

I've only played La Di Da Di twice but felt it was really solid and well-produced. Also better than Mirrored, IMO, whose faults lie in the vocals.

I need to revisit both previous albums soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Battles have passed me by up until now, but I got La Di Da Di as I will be seeing them live this weekend as part of the Simple Things festival. The album is really good, but I think they will be even better live. Looking forward to it!

I saw them a few weeks ago at the Paradise in Boston, which is were Autechre recently played and they were preeetttttyyyy good. They closed with The Yabba, which was the best part I thought.

• 6 months later...

Archived