IGNORED

Grimes - Art Angels

Grimes' next LP is slated for release in October. It's been tentatively announced for awhile now, having been scrapped altogether late last year.

Fader cover story on her here, where the release date was mentioned.

She's made it clear none of the singles she's released post-Visions will be on the album, and further stated they don't sound anything like the albums' tracks. I'm relieved by that, while "Go" grew on me I haven't dug the other songs she's put out this year. That said I'm still pretty anxious over whether I'll like the new album or not. I'm glad she's saying she's making it with no outsider expectations factored in though.

Edited by Herr Jan
fixed link

i like most of what i've heard outside of the singles leading up to this release. just pulled up a vid of her performing live and she actually seems like a good performer. for whatever reason i assumed her weird voice was studio tricks but i guess that's just how she sounds

Edited by juiceciuj

I absolutely love Oblivion and Genesis but still haven't made the effort to listen to Visions... Really didn't like Go but this article is giving me some hope now. Otherwise I still have Visions to enjoy :)

I hated "Go" when I heard it, i admit I was one of those disappointed fans. I didn't think it was her selling out, I actually rarely accuse anyone of that, but it was very jarring. That said, it revealed this very alarming aspect of social media, fandom, and artistry. Such backlash was something that would be out of sight and out of mind before the internet, and likewise critical reception would trickle in over weeks and months, not within hours. Even if she did react to it musically (I don't think she did) I couldn't blame her.

Roc Nation and whoever else did her PR at the time made it clear it was produced for Rihanna and that aspect of it, meant to be appealing, did the opposite imo. That said it grew on me, it works well live and her video (which she did herself) lead me to kinda like it.

i like most of what i've heard outside of the singles leading up to this release. just pulled up a vid of her performing live and she actually seems like a good performer. for whatever reason i assumed her weird voice was studio tricks but i guess that's just how she sounds

Her voice is really interesting and she's quite loose with it live - in other words she'll have no reservations doing impromptu singing between tracks or weird looping intros before she plays out her songs

I saw her at ACL and FYF and the former was a little bit of a letdown, she didn't have her Juno working so literally she was like "oh man sorry this is where I'd be doing that one lead" and she literally sang the trademark synth intro to "Genesis." FYF was kickass though

i lik hrr early musics wth th lo recording n stff. idk, she's spazəm. i lik her voice tho. i wish i nu less abt her n just only abt her musics. i wish she wud hav rec smthg wth th rephlex in thos dys

Grimes always makes interesting stuff, and if she was brave enough to scrap a whole album worth of material and start over, then good for her.

From the article linked above:

“It wasn’t so much a scrapped album,” Boucher tells me. “It was just [songs] that didn’t make it onto this album. Basically, I was doing a bunch of stuff, and maybe a bit before ‘Go,’ I was like, ‘You know, my life is getting a lot better. I’m going to put all this stuff on a hard drive and start again. There were just hundreds of songs—on this album that I’m making now, there’s at least a hundred songs that won’t make it onto this. I think all musicians have songs that don’t make it onto records.”

Guest bitroast

wow REALiTi is a cool track. not heard this one.

was kind of skeptical after not liking GO at all but this one is nice. alright. back in and interested again :)

gtfo marf.

Realiti was cool and I look forward to her new album but I hope it's more like that than some of the other things but I still dug her albums before.

gtfo marf.

Realiti was cool and I look forward to her new album but I hope it's more like that than some of the other things but I still dug her albums before.

Yeah Realiti has a nice sound to it. Entropy is really the only one I haven't gotten into and likely never will. It's a collab anyway.

• 2 months later...

:emb: I love you Claire

i lik hrr early musics wth th lo recording n stff. idk, she's spazəm. i lik her voice tho. i wish i nu less abt her n just only abt her musics. i wish she wud hav rec smthg wth th rephlex in thos dys

I told you G!! didnt I

whats a spazəm?

No mention of a release date?

yeah I think it's still TBA

it's done too, she mentioned in a in-depth interview how much she wanted to play more than snippets to the interviewee when they were driving around with a promo copy in the car

She does all of the illustrations herself. Hats off to her, she is mad talented. Waifu materials

she is, truly multi-talented and DIY, she's self-produced everything...in fact her weakest songs (imo) have been ones she's collaborated on

I still can't wrap my head around the fact she recorded visions on bandcamp

james brooks is already her Husbando