IGNORED

Album with best penultimate track

aar2697

Best penultimate track  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which [album-length release] has your favorite penultimate track?

• Incunabula - "Lowride"
    • Amber - "Nil"
    • Tri Repetae - "Overand"
    • Chiastic Slide - "Pule"
    • LP5 - "Arch Carrier"
    • EP7 - "Netlon Sentinel"
    • Confield - "Uviol"
    • Draft 7.30 - "V-Proc"
    • Untilted - "The Trees"
    • Quaristice - "Notwo"
    • Quaristice (Versions) - "chenc9-x"
    • Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae - "notwotwo"
    • Oversteps - "krYlon"
    • Move of Ten - "ylm0"
    • Exai - "recks on"

I've felt that, often times, the most climactic, dramatic moments on the Autechre albums are the penultimate (second-to-last) tracks. I actually didn't listen to "Teartear" for a while because "Nil" just sounded like a proper ending to Amber (though I do feel "Teartear" is a very good ending now that I've listened to it a lot). I don't think all albums they've done have penultimate tracks that feel like penultimate tracks, but Autechre do execute such a technique in most of them I feel.

My vote: "recks on"

Second half is really tense and unsettling, and when the vocoded(?) voice comes in, it sounds like the album summoned an animatronic lifeform out of its electronic madness.

I'm with you on recks on, for me the second half of it is the proper ending. Notwo is another example of this sort, it's like they had two closers for Quaristice, so ended up using both. Longer and better version closes Quadrange perfectly.

I immediately thought of Pule when I read the thread title, but after reading the list it was a difficult decision. Still went for Pule, though.

Picked Uviol with the extended broadcast mix in mind. I don't see any pattern in their (penultimate) tracks per album though, not so recognizable like for example the first few seconds of silence on (almost) every album, so it's basically just apples and oranges.

I went with Uviol because there are some fond memories attached to it. But it was a difficult decision with The Trees, recks on, Arch Carrier and Overand also in the list.

Had to be netlon sentinel cause it's just an absolute monster of a track. Brutal from start to finish and those crazy swirling melodies that come in about halfway through are absolutely nuts.

As an aside is ep7 considered as an album? Never thought of it as one personally, despite the length.

Had to be netlon sentinel cause it's just an absolute monster of a track. Brutal from start to finish and those crazy swirling melodies that come in about halfway through are absolutely nuts.

As an aside is ep7 considered as an album? Never thought of it as one personally, despite the length.

I remember a thread where this discussed, and any consensus was out; I consider it a full album due to length and it how bridges the concepts between LP5 and Confield. That said, owning just EP7.2, i consider that an ep..

Also; Pule.

the first few seconds of silence on (almost) every album

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. It gets especially annoying on Draft 7.30 and Oversteps.

Also; Pule. I consider it a full album due to length and it how bridges the concepts between LP5 and Confield.

I think EP7 was made from outtakes from LP5 that were too weird for the album.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. It gets especially annoying on Draft 7.30 and Oversteps.

Nah :) it was even asked about in the AAA :)

Q: whats the deal with the near silence on most of your albums intro? something like a climax build up in a weird way?

A: just to make sure everyones in, and ready on time.

+

Q: You seem to enjoy playing with the CD medium - the hidden squelches at the end of Drane2, track '0' on EP7 (of which, does it have a name ?), the near silence for the first 20 secs of Draft7.30. Is there any other 'tricks' you'd like to do or has the popularity of this sort of thing gone now ?

A: you have to watch those silent people, always trying to trick you with their silence

I hate what they did on the beginning of "Gantz Graf" because the intro is super quiet and you wanna turn your speakers up and then guess what happens...

I hate what they did on the beginning of "Gantz Graf" because the intro is super quiet and you wanna turn your speakers up and then guess what happens...

Same with FLeure. It actually makes me quite tense because it's a surprise when it starts. It also makes me worry that it might be set too loud.

Ha, i've not seen this thread before but it's certainly an interesting one. Ae make brilliant penultimate tracks and you don't notice them till a significant amount of listens later. You skip past 'em somtimes. Looking through that list i opted for The Trees. It came out of nowhere when i was getting more into another track. Eidetic Casein would have been my first choice, but that was 1 track earlier. So it's The Trees.

Netlon is one of the their very best tracks and my personal favorite track on ep7, but i wouldn't consider it the penultimate, it's not long enough. for that album, i would choose Maphive...

and every track on untilted is a penultimate fucking track

edit: so im going for netlon cause it's so good and it feels good to vote on it and see it get mentioned

Nailed it.

Interesting. I was getting ready to come in guns blazing that I'm all about the ultimate tracks but its actually pretty close. Some of the closers are perfection - Incunabula (444), Chastic Slide (Nuane),, Confield (Lentic), Untilted (Sublimit), Oversteps (yuop),, Moveoften (Cepuiqmx)).

Some of the best closers are on short EPs.(Vlet, Cap IV, Drane).

With that out of the way there were more penultimates I preferred than I expected

Tri Rep (overand > rsdio), Quastice (Notwo > Outh9x), Exai (reckson > YJY UX), Draft 7,3 (VPROc > Reniform Puls)

The kicker was there was several albums I would have thought I preferred the closer but the penultimate was just as good/fitting - EP7 (Netlon Sentinel = Pir) Confield (Uviol = Lentc), and LP5 (Arch Carrier = Drane2).

Archived