IGNORED

CHATMM 15 Submissions Wanted

hello spiral

Foil's out?

*submits*

when is the deadline?

9/11

Fucking lolled

But this theme is pretty fucking great. Probably too cool for me but I'm going to try anyway.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool comp theme, I may have to contribute something to this one. Will someone be mastering it? What format should submissions be in? And can that info + deadline etc. be added to the original post for simplicity's sake? Sorry for the question bombardment!! :catcry:

Regarding the text, can it just be technical details or does it have to be a 'concept'?

I think I might already have something I can submit for this; that said, it's over an hour long in its current state so I might have to trim it a little. What's the maximum track length?

I may try to get in on this one, gonna be a bit busy though as I'm about to be going back to school. The theme for this is pretty cool though so I'll try to have something presentable.

Will someone be mastering it?

Yes.

What format should submissions be in?

Wav or Aiff

Regarding the text, can it just be technical details or does it have to be a 'concept'?

I thought "show your working out" p much had this covered

What's the maximum track length?

You can submit up to two tracks, if you want. If you're collaborating on a track with someone else, you can submit that too, though it'll count as one of the two tracks. Please keep them at a sensible length though (don't make me force a time limit - but if absolutely must - 8 minutes max)

when is the deadline?

9/11

The official story is that the deadline is 9/11. The unofficial deadline (that's not told here, only in case some require an extension) is 20/11

What's the maximum track length?

Just make sure it's shorter than Arne Nordheim's Poly Poly (102 years).

ah shit, better rework it then

I thought "show your working out" p much had this covered

yeah I meant, does it have to be conceptual working out or technical working out? I'm no good at applying wanky concepts to art, so I'll just explain what I did in order to make the piece rather than make some shit up about it being a commentary on genetically modified onions or whatever

Was the 9/11 date chosen because of Stockhausen's quote?

In a press conference in Hamburg on 16 September 2001, Stockhausen was asked by a journalist whether the characters in Licht were for him "merely some figures out of a common cultural history" or rather "material appearances". The composer replied, "I pray daily to Michael, but not to Lucifer. I have renounced him. But he is very much present, like in New York recently" (Stockhausen 2002, 76). The same journalist then asked how the events of 11 September had affected him, and how he viewed reports of the attack in connection with the harmony of humanity represented in Hymnen. He answered:

Well, what happened there is, of course - now all of you must adjust your brains - the biggest work of art there has ever been. The fact that spirits achieve with one act something which we in music could never dream of, that people practise ten years madly, fanatically for a concert. And then die. [Hesitantly.] And that is the greatest work of art that exists for the whole Cosmos. Just imagine what happened there. There are people who are so concentrated on this single performance, and then five thousand people are driven to Resurrection. In one moment. I couldn't do that. Compared to that, we are nothing, as composers. [...] It is a crime, you know of course, because the people did not agree to it. They did not come to the "concert". That is obvious. And nobody had told them: "You could be killed in the process." (Stockhausen 2002, 7677)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlheinz_Stockhausen#September_11_attacks

Keep in mind they will be peer-reviewed.

Funny you say that... Once I was super wasted and leaked a ton of my tracks to chatmm. The response was "ummm are you sure that's you?"

Not sure what to do since then. I've been fucking with ableton and reason for 10yrs/ish.

Edit: It was approximately 235 tracks.

I really want to contribute to one of these chatmm comps but I don't have the confidence to do so.

Well, many times the only difference between an unoriginal, overdone piece of shit and a conceptual masterpiece is the artist's ability to confidently sell his work as such

Imagine if Merzbow said "well, this is another noise album... I guess it's pretty much the same as the others... I dunno if I should be releasing this honestly"

Or if Basinsky said "well these are just some tape loops I found in the garage... just your typical ambient album, it's nice imo. I put it out for free on Bandcamp cause it's just a silly experiment"

Count me in

Do we get a chance to defend our submission against the committee? And are there any academic grants available to fund the production of my track?

Archived