IGNORED

Squarepusher's Biggest Ever Live Show with Full Live Band

cear

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/87403-watmm-pub-meetup/

On way from Luton...eta 7.30...save me a pint!

Ob way from Luton now...eta, 7.30 max!

This is the pub we should meet at. Because watmm.

I'll be there from 6pmish dressed as a lord of the rings actor in civilian clothes wearing a squarepusher t shirt (glow in the dark ufabulum) and generally trying to stay away from holloywood.

Heading over now. Wearing a neon orange hoodie and silver messenger bag. Ask for Justin. If it's hot and the hoodie comes off wearing black t with rainbow zig zag pattern

Or ask for juice

Or ask for juice

Didn't get there early or have internet there. Holy shit is troxy av ripoff but the shobaleader set was incredible. Was at the very front fur the whole thing. Tum was fantastic on bass of course but fucking hell that drummer was amazing

Watched the Shobaleader One band with Squarepusher on bass. Interesting but was waiting for them to play Rustic Raver (one of my fave SP tracks). I remember SP posting on twitter the playlist containing Rustic Raver that they were following for the Shobaleader One band set but it didn't appear :(

Damogen Furies set was brilliant but 3/4 of the way through, he played this long segment of just what I would call 'noise' - like for a solid 10 mins. It wasn't a track. Didn't like that part at all and felt like a wasted part of the set when he could have played a known track of some sort.

Oh and no Baltang Ort - wtf!? Easily one of the best tracks from Damogen Furies.

Hit and miss gig for me, the sound was mostly terrible. 808 state sounded like they hadn't had a sound check - the bass was way to loud, then when the sax came in for Pacific State it was even louder again. It didn't help that the acoustics in the place were terrible, though it sounded a lot better up closer to the stage.

The sound for the Shobaleader set wasn't great either, but that may have been down more to the venue than the mixing, the bass was really muddy and too low - couldn't make out half of what was going on there, guitar a bit too prominent, the drummer was superb though, was that the same drummer he was using before? (because I wasn't that impressed with their duo shows a few years ago)

Having said that, it's a great idea for a gig, and in a better (smaller) venue and a bit more time playing together to tighten it up it would be brilliant. Hearing E8 Boogie, Coopers World and Squarepusher Theme played by a live jazz band is something I've always dreamed of, not quite lived up to my expectations, but still pretty great. The Music Is Rotted... track(s?) were the least well delivered, Chunk-S would've been a better choice I think. Iambic 5 Poetry came out really well.

The electronic set was great though, changes to the tracks from the album versions worked well (there was one track, can't remember which one, where he added a new break in there and it sounded great). There was only a handful of tracks where he really got a groove going, Venus 17 and the encore bass accompanied tracks, the rest was madness. Loved the chaotic wall of noise towards the end before the encore, ridiculously intense, and the visuals were great, the two went together brilliantly.

Was good to meet up with phudoshin, no-one else made it to the grapes?

What was the final song of the Shobaleader One set ? Think it was Deep Fried Pizza but not sure - well I think it was in Brighton anyways....

Yep, that was it.

I was at the Brighton show. Was enjoying it so much I didn't think to shoot a video or take a photo. Maybe the second best Squarepusher set I've seen. I genuinely got quite emotional in some parts, thinking to myself "I've waited years to see this". Proper top notch.

(and i got too perv at the rack gear cause it was facing into the crowd, got the same audio interface as me :)

What was the final song of the Shobaleader One set ? Think it was Deep Fried Pizza but not sure - well I think it was in Brighton anyways....

Yep, that was it.

Aw shit that must've been insane, that's one of my favorite SP tracks ever! Would be awesone to see Tom shred up that crazy bassline live.

Yep, that was it.

Thanks for that ... it was just one of those moments. Couldn't get any better ...

Wanted to goto grapes but we got into town too late. Agree that the sound was kinda meh. Combined with the no in/out policy and shitty/expensive beer selection we decided to leave after shobaleader. Was rad to hear all the hard normal daddy tracks and iambic 5. I'm a bad sp fan though and didn't recognize maybe a third of the tracks. Would kill to hear that group play tetra sync. Met a cool local named Andrew in a make noise tee. Not sure if he's on the forum or not though

Major thanks for caze putting me up in his place after. Really great to bump into you man, with plenty of nostalgias of Dublin dance gigs. Yeh I captured shoba on ipod bu no clue if the sound is any good yet. My recording failed for the dm set so I just danced like a loony tune!! Anyway shoba was sooo fucking good. Dat drummer!!! The guitarist was only so so.. Dm set was gold..especially the noise bit!

Me and fenton were there, but left on time for the opening act - they were loads of fun (sadly even louder than 808 state) although the venue was mostly empty at that time.

Archived