IGNORED

new venetian snares interview

pyramidpanes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dream

I was wondering if you’d ever see yourself exiting the industry but continuing to make music until you no longer wanted to do it, or could.

Oh yeah. I’ll make music till I die. If I happened to become a millionaire or something, I’ll fuck it all off. See you later, I’m just gonna live in my own world here, bye.

ur link seems to be broken - i believe u mean this one http://www.factmag.com/2015/08/13/interview-venetian-snares-hates-the-music-industry/

aaron goes full rage mode, i love it!

ha thanks for fixin link, yeah a refreshing read....

Good interview / interviewer, especially in being honest about avoiding asking already answered questions. If you're honest to the interviewee, they'll be more interesting imo.

"People are approaching it… they’re not listening to something for what it is, they’re listening to it for “how can this be compatible with my personal views?” They’re listening for what they want to hear rather than what’s being presented to them." A lot of people could do well to take these words to heart.

I didn't notice rage, just observations and enunciation of frustration but not anger.

I hope your greatest fear is fire and you burn in fire.

~ Aaron Funk, 2015

I didn't notice rage, just observations and enunciation of frustration but not anger.

I hope your greatest fear is fire and you burn in fire.

~ Aaron Funk, 2015

I guess… I don’t know, I’m always questioning myself. Whether or not I’m a good person, a bad person, or just an angry person…

Good interview / interviewer, especially in being honest about avoiding asking already answered questions. If you're honest to the interviewee, they'll be more interesting imo.

"People are approaching it… they’re not listening to something for what it is, they’re listening to it for “how can this be compatible with my personal views?” They’re listening for what they want to hear rather than what’s being presented to them." A lot of people could do well to take these words to heart.

Not a bad interview although he sounds pretty bitter.

No, more frustrated than anything. I share his sentiments as a listener. So many music journalism websites are crippled by PR, hit based revenue, and short shelf-live cycles that very few decent music review and discovery sites are out there, and those that are are affected by it.

And I can say this quote encapsulates a lot of hyped yet mediocre music out there, especially stuff coming out of Brooklyn, London, and LA that's so "curated" in expectations and aesthetic and artistic pretentiousness that it comes off as overrated or even dull.

Fuck that whole game of what music is supposed to be right now. It’s so fucked up even listening to what sounds like people trying to get super good at a video game or something. It doesn’t even sound anything like self-expression, it’s like… I’m awesome within these predefined parameters that are presented to me. Which I guess most artists feel is what’s exciting about a genre. They see a few people doing a similar thing and then everyone just jumps on it and goes, “I’m this now!” It’s like if a bunch of people wore the same fucking outfit from the Gap, you know? What is the difference between that and being awesome at World of Warcraft or something? Not much. It’s almost the same thing if you think about it.

Well, if you can get writers enough money to do a good job… that’s the problem with music writing at the moment. So you end up with lazy comparisons in reviews.

I love reviews where they just describe the sound in the tune. Why?! Just play the fucking song at that point. It’s ridiculous. It contains these sounds. Who cares? Congratulations for hearing!

I liked the interview, great criticism on music criticism but i couldn't help but cringe when he complained about releasing music and going on tour, he sounded a bit spoiled. So many musicians would kill to be in his position and I don't think he realizes how good he has it.

venetian snares music sounds like someone doing really good at a video game esp. Pwntendo

I'm pretty sure he meant getting good at working within the confines of parameters that have been set for you, i.e. a bandwagon genre, is akin to getting good at a video game. Not the actual sound of the music itself.

words of wisdom

I bet. That outlook which leaves you believing you’ve formed these ideas for yourself, it’s nothing more than a business plan

telling a FactMag writer that his tastes and ideas of what taste is has been formed by a corporate long con is pretty fucking awesome. Love it when people occasionally break through this bullshit barrier to put music journos in their place.

I think he really likes to compile albums or something. I think that’s his favourite format, a compilation album.

Takes a bit of the soul out of the artist though doesn't it? maybe im misinterpreting what he's saying but it sounds like some/a lot of planet mu's releases are Mike's compilations of artists tracks

this clears it up a bit

It’s just Mike that gets to do that with your stuff?

Occasionally, yes. He tries all the time to do that. I don’t always let him. I think he’s like a dude hitting on a girl in a bar who doesn’t get the message. Or something. Sometimes.

i wonder if other artists on Mu besides Aaron are able to stand their ground and tell Mike 'no the album is supposed to be ordered this way' . Would be a bit of a delicate situation i'd imagine especially if being blinded by the excitement of being signed to Mu

I liked the interview, great criticism on music criticism but i couldn't help but cringe when he complained about releasing music and going on tour, he sounded a bit spoiled. So many musicians would kill to be in his position and I don't think he realizes how good he has it.

He's said that in the past before and I was more taken aback by it then. it's still hard for me to really get my head around that sentiment but in this context I can understand. It's extreme but it's more sincere than the inverse, where an artist loves releasing music and touring and all the attention but doesn't actually enjoy or treasure the making of it or creative process.

It's a really hard, if not impossible, to prove certain producers/artists are literally riding every fucking bandwagon possible, or making music with very specific aesthetics and sounds to maximize PR appeal and attention, but they exist. They just can always retort with "I'm making this because I want to and believe in it" claim. I don't want to name examples nor get bogged down in any ire toward such artists, but they exist. And I think those are the people he is trying to be opposite of, because they love releasing music. Same with his attitude or doing whatever he wants musically.

This.

I thought it was a very enjoyable read, I also agree with a lot of things (especially the 'sound describing reviews') and I love it when people get so passionate about things like this. That part just kind of rubbed me the wrong way though. It's also not the first time he mentions this. Actually, he did in the exchange between him and Joyrex about the VSnares subforum. These were his words:

These artists are doing what they love, yet much of the time this output is being disrespected by their "fans" as it's not what they'd prefer them to be doing. How could any Autechre fan expect them to keep making Confield? Or cater to their tastes in any way? It's absurd isn't it? People will do as they do I suppose, I'd just rather not be involved. Do you know why there aren't any Aphex Twin albums any more? I'm sad to say I do. (Herr Fan note: ORLY :dadjoke: )You seem to be a thoughtful enough person, please respect my wishes.

I get his point to some degree, he or anyone else doesn't owe us, the fans, anything. That said, Fact Mag doesn't owe him anything either, nor watmm, nor journalism in general, nor the entire music industry. But still, here he is publicly attacking all these things just like fans would attack his music (maybe even worse). Basically, he is living in a paradox where he doesn't want to release 'product' but doesn't want to stop because it enables him his lifestyle (given by the industry and the fans he hates). It comes with the territory, he already accepted that, but to spit on the plate he's eating from like this is just pathetic. He even says so himself:

Yeah, in order to make a living I have to allow people to hear my music and I have to go fucking clown show it for them at some fucking club or whatever. That’s pretty much the reality of it. But that’s great you know, and I shouldn’t complain about that. Because who wouldn’t want to do that?

With this interview he is basically in the middle of his own first world problem paradox, and it doesn't make him credible at all.

I give his interview a 7 out of 10.

Forever.

Archived