IGNORED

new venetian snares interview

pyramidpanes

I get his point to some degree, he or anyone else doesn't owe us, the fans, anything. That said, Fact Mag doesn't owe him anything either, nor watmm, nor journalism in general, nor the entire music industry. But still, here he is publicly attacking all these things just like fans would attack his music (maybe even worse). Basically, he is living in a paradox where he doesn't want to release 'product' but doesn't want to stop because it enables him his lifestyle (given by the industry and the fans he hates). It comes with the territory, he already accepted that, but to spit on the plate he's eating from like this is just pathetic.

Excellent counterpoint.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed reading that. It is refreshing to read someone criticising the scene and themselves all in one fell swoop, rather than just slagging off someone that they do not like.

Also, Aaron plz back massage me with a belt sander plz

Surely he is only attacking the kind of fan that demands certain music from him, rather than the fan that enjoys whatever he makes? I personally enjoyed not just the Snares tunes but Poemss, Last Step and Speed Dealer Moms...I had no expectations for it other than it's Aaron Funk and that I would probably like it. So far, apart from one release (Doll Doll Doll) I've liked it all. The kind of fan that pesters him for Rossz part 2 might be the ones he is referring to.

I liked the interview, great criticism on music criticism but i couldn't help but cringe when he complained about releasing music and going on tour, he sounded a bit spoiled. So many musicians would kill to be in his position and I don't think he realizes how good he has it.

This.

I thought it was a very enjoyable read, I also agree with a lot of things (especially the 'sound describing reviews') and I love it when people get so passionate about things like this. That part just kind of rubbed me the wrong way though. It's also not the first time he mentions this. Actually, he did in the exchange between him and Joyrex about the VSnares subforum. These were his words:

These artists are doing what they love, yet much of the time this output is being disrespected by their "fans" as it's not what they'd prefer them to be doing. How could any Autechre fan expect them to keep making Confield? Or cater to their tastes in any way? It's absurd isn't it? People will do as they do I suppose, I'd just rather not be involved. Do you know why there aren't any Aphex Twin albums any more? I'm sad to say I do. (Herr Fan note: ORLY :dadjoke: )You seem to be a thoughtful enough person, please respect my wishes.

I get his point to some degree, he or anyone else doesn't owe us, the fans, anything. That said, Fact Mag doesn't owe him anything either, nor watmm, nor journalism in general, nor the entire music industry. But still, here he is publicly attacking all these things just like fans would attack his music (maybe even worse). Basically, he is living in a paradox where he doesn't want to release 'product' but doesn't want to stop because it enables him his lifestyle (given by the industry and the fans he hates). It comes with the territory, he already accepted that, but to spit on the plate he's eating from like this is just pathetic. He even says so himself:

Yeah, in order to make a living I have to allow people to hear my music and I have to go fucking clown show it for them at some fucking club or whatever. That’s pretty much the reality of it. But that’s great you know, and I shouldn’t complain about that. Because who wouldn’t want to do that?

With this interview he is basically in the middle of his own first world problem paradox, and it doesn't make him credible at all.

I give his interview a 7 out of 10.

Forever.

Also, he speaks about the current musical scene of just getting skilled within predefined parameters (where artists are jumping on the genre bandwagon) as if it's a new trend.

I liked the interview, great criticism on music criticism but i couldn't help but cringe when he complained about releasing music and going on tour, he sounded a bit spoiled. So many musicians would kill to be in his position and I don't think he realizes how good he has it.

This.

I thought it was a very enjoyable read, I also agree with a lot of things (especially the 'sound describing reviews') and I love it when people get so passionate about things like this. That part just kind of rubbed me the wrong way though. It's also not the first time he mentions this. Actually, he did in the exchange between him and Joyrex about the VSnares subforum. These were his words:

These artists are doing what they love, yet much of the time this output is being disrespected by their "fans" as it's not what they'd prefer them to be doing. How could any Autechre fan expect them to keep making Confield? Or cater to their tastes in any way? It's absurd isn't it? People will do as they do I suppose, I'd just rather not be involved. Do you know why there aren't any Aphex Twin albums any more? I'm sad to say I do. (Herr Fan note: ORLY :dadjoke: )You seem to be a thoughtful enough person, please respect my wishes.

I get his point to some degree, he or anyone else doesn't owe us, the fans, anything. That said, Fact Mag doesn't owe him anything either, nor watmm, nor journalism in general, nor the entire music industry. But still, here he is publicly attacking all these things just like fans would attack his music (maybe even worse). Basically, he is living in a paradox where he doesn't want to release 'product' but doesn't want to stop because it enables him his lifestyle (given by the industry and the fans he hates). It comes with the territory, he already accepted that, but to spit on the plate he's eating from like this is just pathetic. He even says so himself:

Yeah, in order to make a living I have to allow people to hear my music and I have to go fucking clown show it for them at some fucking club or whatever. That’s pretty much the reality of it. But that’s great you know, and I shouldn’t complain about that. Because who wouldn’t want to do that?

With this interview he is basically in the middle of his own first world problem paradox, and it doesn't make him credible at all.

I give his interview a 7 out of 10.

Forever.

i don't think he's trying to be credible in that respect, he's just having a moan. It doesn't mean that it's his 100% position on the matter, it's just an old coat he's worn for a while so he drags it out when facing a certain environmental condition. If this were 100% his position i would suggest that it displays his immaturity, the fact that he hasn't had the opportunity to mentally grow in this area of his mind that he's hanging on to some kind of rudimentary understanding of rebellion that came with this fuck them all cliché as a form of self validation.

/dr. dleet off

But yeah, good interview, don't read too deeply into what he says, as from what i've seen before, he's a cheeky bugger, who cruises around different ideas trying this or that out without too much concern, like he does in his tracks. I do like that he's hooked on the mind control though. He should have used the term sheeple, hahah that would have really trolled many on watmm, that unselfreflectively despise that term.

Seems like a nice guy if you're his friend or something. I've heard really great things about him, but his demeanor to the people who came out to see him at his show(s) in Seattle was deplorable when I went. It's one thing to not like touring, it's another thing to be a dick to people who want to pay you to allow you to continue to be a cloistered nihilist for actually expecting you to act like a halfway decent person.

Other than that, color me surprised that the guy who has created 17000x1000 albums of the same really fast, really intricate, really dark and brooding music has an outlook on the music industry, journalism and general humans that isn't really sunshine and daisies...

It does make him sound like a complete child and twat at points, but good for being him, I guess. The whole 'go back in time and drown their parents' stuff really reminds me of that weird kid in high school who was waaaaay too angry and corpse-painted for his Charmin-soft existence and upbringing.

Liked his last few albums :emotawesomepm9: keep it up, Funk.

Seems like a nice guy if you're his friend or something. I've heard really great things about him, but his demeanor to the people who came out to see him at his show(s) in Seattle was deplorable when I went. It's one thing to not like touring, it's another thing to be a dick to people who want to pay you to allow you to continue to be a cloistered nihilist for actually expecting you to act like a halfway decent person.

Other than that, color me surprised that the guy who has created 17000x1000 albums of the same really fast, really intricate, really dark and brooding music has an outlook on the music industry, journalism and general humans that isn't really sunshine and daisies...

It does make him sound like a complete child and twat at points, but good for being him, I guess. The whole 'go back in time and drown their parents' stuff really reminds me of that weird kid in high school who was waaaaay too angry and corpse-painted for his Charmin-soft existence and upbringing.

Liked his last few albums :emotawesomepm9: keep it up, Funk.

hah ...

So what we're saying is that he's a pussy and should grow up. [-; more flower to him i guess.

i agree that people should be less snarky about art, especially on the internet where the person him/herself may well be reading. the free display of contempt over someone's work not being what you want or what you like is childish and ridiculous. people enjoy playing the roll of the elevated judge, snidely condescending, just like they like racism, the cheap schadenfreude of stripping someone of their dignity because you can.

Bit up his own arse? And not in the fun squarepusher way where it's still an interesting/ hilarious read ;) Ah well. Bought Your Face on a whim cos it was cheap and the record shop fella accidentally put 2 copies in the sleeve. Anecdote over. Don't really know what to do with the second copy. Anyone fancy a sleeveless copy for the price of postage?

Re: delet - I don't think he's trying to be credible either. The only reason I take these rants more seriously than I normally would (after all, it is just him having a laugh and a good ol' promotional rant and, why would I care?) is because he proved to be serious about it by actively and succesfully denying watmm its subforum. Twice.

Bit up his own arse? And not in the fun squarepusher way where it's still an interesting/ hilarious read ;) Ah well. Bought Your Face on a whim cos it was cheap and the record shop fella accidentally put 2 copies in the sleeve. Anecdote over. Don't really know what to do with the second copy. Anyone fancy a sleeveless copy for the price of postage?

i wouldn't be able to play it not having a record player, but it would be cool just for the story.

/ dleetrboi disavows any and all agreements pertaining to purchase of said record belonging to one amen warrior and will in no way partake in, participate in or be a party to any transaction involving said record. for the record

Re: delet - I don't think he's trying to be credible either. The only reason I take these rants more seriously than I normally would (after all, it is just him having a laugh and a good ol' promotional rant and, why would I care?) is because he proved to be serious about it by actively and succesfully denying watmm its subforum. Twice.

yeah, he's multifarious of view, whatever suits at the time. I didn't like the idea that he was a dick to people on tour from that comment about it though. That's why i threw in that stuff about maturity.

But really, how the fuck can you know, it's the internets, i wasn't there. Benefit of the doubt, not adding to the rout, still thinking that he's a gentle soul gone occasionally wrong, but what can you do. It's not the end of the world and it was a nice interview, which is a rare thing from these people these days. Everyone wanting to out shun the light of their public's gaze. Well though phex'ee is pretty open now and autechre were too, maybe in a couple of years, aaron will be like, what the fuck was i on about, it doesn't fucking matter, they like it or they don't, and they have a perfect right to express that, so whatever, i'm still getting to make music and not working stacking the dishwasher at the cheesy burgers and arse grill and bar.

yeh nice interview

im mainly posting here to show off my new ava

sup

frightenmare.

(people will start using this word eventually. as they've picked up many others that i've invented through osmosis).

People are approaching it… they’re not listening to something for what it is, they’re listening to it for “how can this be compatible with my personal views?” They’re listening for what they want to hear rather than what’s being presented to them. I should critique reviews of my own music because that would be pretty funny.

Aaron, my dear friend, if you have to critique my reviews of your dull "idm" farts then do, I don't care ;)

I know breakcore is no more since like 2010 and now in order to stay "on top" you have to emulate what RDJ has done like 20 years ago but open your eyes really, i'm sorry im not a sheep and I do select boring music from the interesting one. This sounds like an arrogant shots fired at those who carve their music tastes for longer than this long-haired rockstar tries to make us think his music is groundbreaking or sth like that. No. It isn't.

Last time I saw vsnares, about a year ago, he really seemed to not want to be there. I don't blame him, but makes me not want to attend another show... only thing that would draw me back is the crowd, great vibes every time.

Agreed, you always get a good "up-for-it" crowd at a snares gig.

Despite the heavily violent music, everyone seems in good spirits and enjoying themselves, even when it gets a bit heavy in the mosh pit or whatever. Always happy to pick a brother up, dust him down, and get back into it.

Guest kymppinetti

i think been at silent so long made him to say things he said. he had many matters so say, can't really blame the guy. and also he's clearly fucking with people.

'I hope your greatest fear is fire and you burn in fire.' lol i'm sure i heard this on game of thrones.

Rixxx is gonna be pissed Mike P out here smashing deez ho's.

She's like 'whatever' but he doesn't care. You can see it in his eyes - he's got his next target.

"baby, I'ma compile all over your good parts"

Can we talk more about Mike P. taking lots of long bubble baths while listening to music and sending emails to v snares? I get the feeling he probably drinks a hefty glass of wine and locks the door.

Archived