IGNORED

Vikings series

Guest kymppinetti

Guest kymppinetti

Recently, I've been watching this show. It's decent, nothing really special, but it's fun to watch. Imo, the first season was great, but after it, the show seems to loosing it's touch. Nothing new there: there is only hand full of shows (what I've seen) that didn't turn out to be poop.

I've made a thesis about vikings when I was in high school. So, you could say I know something about these sexy hairy men. Many times the show makes me want puke to the fact how they fuck things up. Little things like for instance: I preatty sure vikings didn't call themselves as 'vikings'.

And also the fact that the show only uses the writings of the monks, which were in this case on the 'opposite side' . You could guess those guys colour things up. And also they use the ragnar saga, a fairy tale.

I do sound like an idiot, cos' in the end, it's just a tv series.

They did call themselves vikings but not as a unified group across the land, simply the expedition-faring was referred as "going viking", and some folks adopted it as a kind of title. They were a cleanly, industrious people and technologically advanced for the time, but I guess that doesn't make for as good a show as dirty mad barbarians. It's a decent show but I lost interest somewhere through season 2, maybe will pick it up again sometime.

Guest kymppinetti

That makes sense, but I remember reading something that the name 'viking' firstly came from somewhere else. Or they were using the name, but not for the meaning we know. But yeah, not every one up in the north weren't vikings. It was clearly intended for those guys who raided with ships.

Anyway. :D I just watched the trailer of the season four. There weren't much of revelations, but it seems there's going to be lot of twists. Or I hope so, it would spice up the series.

I like the characters and stories. Never thought anyone would watch this thinking about historical accuracy (lol), although I guess if you studied Vikings I can see how you would.

Guest kymppinetti

Do any of you read Vinland Saga (manga)? I think it's better than anything "viking" the western world has ever produced.

i heard good things about it, but haven't read it myself.

I like the characters and stories. Never thought anyone would watch this thinking about historical accuracy (lol), although I guess if you studied Vikings I can see how you would.

Floki is great. :)

I wish they would develop Lagertha (she's such a great actress) into a stronger character than she is, I mean they kinda were but have backed off a bit and made her play second fiddle to the strong male chacters in a stereotypical way in the last series.

Archived