IGNORED

Heads up: Unofficial Remixes on Soundcloud

Squee

Just a heads up...

Soundcloud has started removing unofficial remixes and giving warnings to people who have uploaded these remixes.

It's three strikes and you're out.

o_O

• 5 weeks later...

I hope they're not too draconian about it. I'm sure big-time labels get priority for remix removal, but will SoundCloud start going after fan mixes from 14 years ago, like these? Get em while they're hot! :music:

Edited by jsmcpn

my hairy mix about David Guetta's Hey Mama (yeah I know but the mix is all f*cking around to the original) seems to be left alone so far but when tried to upload this nice/smooth/downtempo remix about Sade's Pearls they blocked it..

They got some kinda automated database for copyrighted stuff (like this Sade remix has content of Epic Records).

and so far my User18081971 remixes has been left alone :D but they aren't copyrighted by any record label anyways (at least I believe so)..

• 3 weeks later...

pitch shift + speed change = safe?

Not sure, uploaded an old protracker mod recording with a lot of samples from jamiroquai and it was automatically put on private. Not deleted though, this was before the new copyright crackdown policy.

For YouTube anyway, people have been posting songs and films by slowing down or speeding up PLUS pitch shifting, so maybe if your soundcloud remix is "different" enough, it's cool. I guess the easiest way to test it would be to upload Michael Jackson's Thriller, pitch shifted and speed changed. If the program senses by relative notes and relative tempo of beats simultaneously, that's pretty hard to get around, though.

Edited by peace 7

Yeah, better test it. The medley I tried to upload had pitch changes with the original because of the set bpm I tried to sync the samples to, it was hard panned and 8 bit because of teh amiga power and still recognized. I figure they must have a massive database full spectral blueprints of pop songs in which certain signatures are checked, stuff like tempo & pitch changes obviously. A traced pitch contour over a period of time would give a relative readout and this could be compared, recognize when the remix features transposed material. 'Different enough' is always better, cutting up, adding layers etc, or just make sure you don't work with material from our Illuminati overlords.

• 2 months later...
Guest Bicho Raro

Just a heads up...

Soundcloud has started removing unofficial remixes and giving warnings to people who have uploaded these remixes.

o_O

Just a heads up...

o_O

:diablo:

• 3 months later...

IDK, if it's just me, but how would anyone ever get authorized to remix an old, out dated song?

The internet fucking up all over the place//

I enjoy a good remix as much as anyone, but we live in a post The Grey Album era, and the internet should take note and act accordingly,

rather than denying artists the right to make a dub of a classic we all love

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Had a Come to Daddy thing removed from SC and received a warning. Uploaded to UTube and it was fine. Put up a King of Carnival remix on SC and UTube both remained. Though that BoC tune is more obscure maybe?

• 1 year later...

Suuuuuuuucccckkkkssss! They pulled a song of mine containing all original stuff and said it violated copyright. Never explained how or why. Hopefully they won't notice my wee remixes.

Just a heads up...

o_O

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I still have a Avril 14th mix up. I mirrored it with the backwards written release he posted in the dump, reversed, and then played slightly after. It creates a kiss off effect of sorts. Anyway I like it, I am surprised they have not taken it down yet. 

Or the cyroclont1000 mashup from the 6.9. tracks on the album. I did not make this mashup. Someone here did, I just re-uploaded them to my account. Still there. WITH DOWNLOAD LINK TURNED ON. 

• 6 months later...