IGNORED

COIL - Backwards

secularlove

csr203cd_500.jpg

After the ground-breaking release of 1990′s “Love’s Secret Domain” album, Coil were not dormant; the main project was “Backwards”, which was started in 1992, updated considerably between 1993 and 1995, and transferred in 1996 to New Orleans, where it was finished in the magic of the Nothing studios of Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails). The album saw the fruition of Jhonn Balance‘s recent vocal coaching, producing haunting, passionate vocals, while reaching new heights.

23 years after its initiation, these tracks have been beautifully preserved by Danny Hyde and are finally available in highest quality audio. Differing substantially from the later, remixed incarnation, “The New Backwards” (2008), “Backwards” contains the original versions of Coil’s much-loved tracks; ‘A Cold Cell’ and ‘Fire Of The Mind’, which have appeared on various compilations over the years, and are now presented as originally intended.

This album is the essential bridge between “LSD” and the later “Musik To Play In The Dark” series. It is an essential conduit, to understand the journey that was taken. It was to be released… it should have been released… but because of issues with grey men it wasn’t. It is now, so enjoy. (Danny Hyde).

Track listing:

1. Intro
2. Backwards
3. Amber Rain
4. Fire Of The Green Dragon
5. Be Careful What You Wish For
6. Nature Is A Language
7. Heaven’s Blade
8. CopaCaballa
9. Paint Me As A Dead Soul
10. AYOR (It’s In My Blood)
11. A Cold Cell
12. Fire Of The Mind

Pre-order here. Who else is excited?!

So this came from Hyde, but how legit is this? There was a claim in the Coil thread that Brainwashed/Whitney owns the rights to the Coil name, but I can't keep up with the drama and whatever. Is the profit from this release going to Threshold House or the estate or to Hyde?

Anyway, pre-ordered.

Also, lol @ Genre: Esoteric.

As a gimp obsessive & licensing aside, shekels will be shelved.

From a music perspective, you know placing that record on the platter & hearing the groove run into the 1st crackles is gonna be a magic moment in itself. Few things beat that feeling of breaking open new records n placing the tone-arm down into sound. Smell the grooooooove.

W/out getting misty-eyed, before PC's death he kept referencing a planned 4gig project release that would splay out masses of material, but it never happened. Thats the release you wonder "wtf would've been on that..... the music, vids, pics, writing art etc?".

Anyway, time for the animals to hallucinate time for us

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this this record that was available for free download for a long time?

That version of Cold Cell is really one of my alltime fave tracks, no idea why they released that other one on Ape of Napels, that one doesn't do anything for me. Really happy that they're finally getting this out, even though I promised myself not to buy any post mortem Coil albums. Unless this is true:

That version of Cold Cell is really one of my alltime fave tracks, no idea why they released that other one on Ape of Napels, that one doesn't do anything for me. Really happy that they're finally getting this out, even though I promised myself not to buy any post mortem Coil albums. Unless this is true:

I'm pretty sure I have this on my hard drive somewhere, and have for at least 10 years

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

supposedly there are a few different versions that have been leaked, including this one. although none of them are mastered. this would be the first intentional release of this version, however.

• 5 weeks later...

with John Whitney's statement that he is the only source for sanctioned COIL recordings / reissues, and his intention to release his own version of the Backwards recordings, has this been relegated to a bootleg?

http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html

i don't think several other former Coil members would agree (including Danny Hyde who i think is responsible for the Cold spring records coil stuff so far, including the unreleased NIN remixes). The problem is this is Jon Whitney's way, he's still being vague and cagey about it and is not really coming right out and saying what he means. Reading between the lines it would seem like that's what he's basically saying, but I think its bullshitty. He should come right out and explain this candidly, but he wont because he doesnt have the balls to. So now there is just this unexplained/confusing disagreement/tension surrounding Coil's unreleased archives and it's lame. It does a disservice to their legacy regardless of if Peter authorized this or not, and Jon is helping perpetuate this negative vibe imo

edit: some clarification (especially if Jon pokes his head in here and wants to respond, and I actually hope he does) : The reason what he's saying is helping perpetuate confusion is because he makes no distinction between ACTUAL Coil bootlegs being pressed on vinyl right now of albums like Scatology that are being put out by people with ZERO relationship to the band VS things like what Danny Hyde is involved in (NIN remixes, Backwards, etc)

the cold spring backwards is at least partially official because one of the original songwriters (hyde) has signed off on it. there is still the issue of the "original rights holder" whitney mentioned (trent, interscope?) but those rights may have lapsed this year. (note exactly 20 years have passed before this release)

similarly, jon whitney's release of backwards would not be 100% official unless hyde and mcdowall (if he has writing credit) also sign off and are paid royalties.

Archived