Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hauntology
the occult

witches occult satan pagans

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#26 westhead

westhead

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • 129 topics
  • Joined 13-March 06

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

Yeah some great tips here. Check out Scarfolk Council for a humourous take on hauntology https://scarfolk.blogspot.co.uk

Will hauntology progress into 80s I wonder, or is synth/retrowave that era's iteration of it?

#27 purlieu

purlieu

Level seven environment four

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • 61 topics
  • Joined 09-February 10
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/enofa

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

A book I've been meaning to read is Scarred for Life - basically a compendium of weirdness from the 1970s.

Scarred For Life Volume One is an affectionate look at the darker side of pop culture in the 1970s. Public information films, scary kids' TV show, bleak adult dramas, dystopian sci-fi, savage horror films, violent comics, horror-themed toys and sweets and the huge boom in paranormal paraphernalia; all this and much more is covered in depth. Prepare to relive your childhood nightmares. The things that made us... Scarred For Life!

Not directly hauntology, but definitely of interest to anybody who's a fan of the whole era that inspired it.

#28 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • PSN:Droideka7048
  • 3DS Friend Code:2879-0990-8442
  • Nintendo ID:droideka

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:10 AM

Wyrd Britain is a good blog I currently follow

http://wyrdbritain.blogspot.de/

#29 fumi

fumi

A melody drags me back

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • 312 topics
  • Joined 18-November 05

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Mostly everything in this thread is not really 'Hauntology' as such. The problem is that the term itself has come to represent anything that was weird or off the beaten track and prevalent in the 1970's or early 1980s. Hauntology is not some music or film genre.

And I cannot believe Aickman has been mentioned here.

Hauntology is the feeling that comes from looking back at futures that didn't materialise.

You guys need to read that Mark Fisher book.

#30 keanu reeves

keanu reeves

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 06-July 16
  • Interests:internet forums

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Mostly everything in this thread is not really 'Hauntology' as such. The problem is that the term itself has come to represent anything that was weird or off the beaten track and prevalent in the 1970's or early 1980s. Hauntology is not some music or film genre.

And I cannot believe Aickman has been mentioned here.

Hauntology is the feeling that comes from looking back at futures that didn't materialise.

You guys need to read that Mark Fisher book.

hauntology has a strict philosophical definition which stems from derrida. it also has a newer cultural use from simon reynolds, who very specifically talks about it in terms of art, music genres, etc, and mark fisher, who uses it in similar ways. your definition is not exactly correct. hauntology in fisher's mind is politically charged and has nothing to do with nostalgia, it is rather an active attempt to get to the potential future we have lost in our postmodern world, a future which can be called up from sources in the past. both he and reynolds talk about "hauntological" art, so in many ways, it is a music genre, but in a philosophical sense. and i mentioned this in my post earlier in the thread. 

#31 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:56 AM

Yeah some great tips here. Check out Scarfolk Council for a humourous take on hauntology https://scarfolk.blogspot.co.uk

Will hauntology progress into 80s I wonder, or is synth/retrowave that era's iteration of it?

yeah the Scarfolk stuff is quality lols

FDC911BD-52DD-40AE-B8F4-00DF40072156_zps

#32 westhead

westhead

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • 129 topics
  • Joined 13-March 06

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

I'm still none the wiser what hauntology is.

#33 purlieu

purlieu

Level seven environment four

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • 61 topics
  • Joined 09-February 10
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/enofa

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:00 AM

Mostly everything in this thread is not really 'Hauntology' as such

Maybe not, but it's mostly stuff that would appeal to someone interested in stuff mentioned in the opening post, which is the most important thing.

#34 Hail Sagan

Hail Sagan

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • 36 topics
  • Joined 02-February 15
  • Interests:Science and turtlenecks mainly. Oh and music (Aphex Twin, Rolando Simmons, Boards of Canada, Devin Townsend, Ochre, etc.) as well.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'm still none the wiser what hauntology is.

the suffix -logy means the study of ...

so the study of hauntings I suppose. I just call it RDM. 

#35 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • 47 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

as a landscape archaeologist, it can be slightly awkward witnessing musicians tap into vague folklore reference points, as these are often historical constructs & quarter-truths masking much older pagan traditions blended with Jungian archetypes/myths of place/location

its this kinda model which seems so prevalent currently, rightly or wrongly

if you see Hauntology as looking back at futures that didnt materialize, then literature offers so many dystopian visions, from the perspective of someone like Philip K Dick who appeared almost as a seer prefiguring such trends it grows in complexity. Equally Ithell Colquhoun's books on Cornwall and Ireland are genius at capturing the atmosphere of places where the past and past hope for better todays dissolves in unfathomable wonder at the experience of landscape atmospheres and the threats of technology hovering around the margins slowly devouring the past, present & future.

theres been a huge trend in musical reference points on something 'lore tapes, which is along way from Lovecraft, Aickman or Arthur Machen

i'd lob in Andrew Liles - Anhendonia as a more expansively sounding (ie better produced), more nuanced example of lost futures echoing from what may or may not be voices from the past....takes about 2/3rds of the tune for the lyrical content to bring it to fruition. but that tonal atmosphere escalating the juxtaposition of harmonics and suggested dread...........maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.........

#36 marf

marf

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • 102 topics
  • Joined 15-June 06

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

is this hauntology?

I need to read up on it. I love the word as it sums up my take on art and what turns me on. 

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#37 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • 47 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

fkn edit fail, sorry marf your post popped up mid-edit, will give the track a listen promptly

Ghost Box seemed to have been a gateway label for a lot of people & its this kinda model which seems so prevalent currently, rightly or wrongly, with multiple copied adaptations

if you see Hauntology as looking back at futures that didnt materialize, then christ, even Infinite Jest touches on themes of the idealized American life morphing into something deeply skewiff, similarly with Cities of the Red Night by William Burroughs

Werent Throbbing Gristle focused on certain elements along these boundaries? A track like Hamburger Lady, with its trapped, traumatized burn victim decaying while the nursing staff plod around her, reeks of a personal future now lost and un-realizble due to the extent of her injuries. It personalized, contextualized through hospital ins

so Hauntology might not be a music genre, but it can still be music and Andrew Liles is better than most at channeling these kind of emotional fields, so buy the track rather than slsk it ;)

https://andrewliles....track/anhedonia

Edited by cwmbrancity, 03 May 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#38 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

I see hauntology and vaporwave as two sides of the same coin; hauntology predominantly references the 60s and 70s, vaporwave loves the 80s and 90s. Both genres will burn themselves out or become passé eventually. Such are humans' cycles of interests. Then they'll resurface again, again as retro, or in other forms.

#39 marf

marf

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • 102 topics
  • Joined 15-June 06

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:59 PM

music is either great or crap. You can put whatever name you want to it, It doesnt matter..

#40 westhead

westhead

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • 129 topics
  • Joined 13-March 06

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:12 AM

I think one of the main attractions is a sense of familiarity - I agree with the comparisons to vaporwave/synthwave, they're a distorted alternative to something that already happened. I think Ghostbox crystallised this perfectly with their releases and whole aesthetic, but it goes back before then - to BoC/70s TV and even Beatles with Sgt Pepper referencing victorian brass bands.

#41 westhead

westhead

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • 129 topics
  • Joined 13-March 06

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

May be of interest to hauntology fans - a couple of mates have tracks on the latest A year In The Country comp, which have been discussed in this 'folk horror' article on Bandcamp https://daily.bandca...ror-music-list 

#42 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • 47 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

Comus were a massive influence on Steven Stapleton

#43 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • 47 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

would highly recommend Colquhoun's "The Living Stones" plus her Irish focused "The Crying of the Wind"

she captures the subjective experience of landscapes, places slowly being eroded by technology, tourism & the encroachment of modern life on ancient sites, plus the whole spectrum of "vibe" diaries she recorded at certain stone circles, dolmens and the pagan heritage underpinning the Christianized places of special virtue

they're part travelog, part picaresque, part archaeology, part philosophy & part occult art exploration (the Cornish edition being particularly "out there") with Stewart Lee having done the new edition forewords too, which is nice

couple of other texts that are at the intersection of these themes are by Robert Graves, The White Goddess which is chronologically wonky archaeologically today but thematically staggering, on the fight for survival of indigenous British bardic, ovate & druidic traditions battling the forces of Anglo-Saxon invasions

language enchantment is focused on as their last hope/key to possibly unlocking the traps........The Battle of the Trees extrapolated is so eloquently interpreted, it just needs a 2nd edition revision print to update the dating, plus "Welsh Incident" which seems to lurk & breath a life of its own and echoes in Coil tracks like Sick Mirrors & Something/Higher Beings Command

#44 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

This could fit in the COIL thread, but I thought it would go well here, to illustrate the band's connection to the occult and Paganism:

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/coil

#45 ghOsty

ghOsty

...boo

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • 119 topics
  • Joined 02-July 10
  • PSN:RitzBitz428

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

I'm not exactly clear on what Hauntology is or isn't... but I love just about anything spooky vibed, (huh.. ghosty, who woulda thought?) and also a fan of all the stuff Rubin mentioned in the original post...

You guys would dig this,  just discovered this within the hour through a bandcamp article about what they're calling "haunted folk"...

Klaus Morlock - Bethany's Cradle (original soundtrack)
https://klausmorlock...inal-soundtrack

Soundtrack to an abandoned 70's horror film that production was never completed on...it's a free download. I'm currently listening and it's pretty great stuff.

a0852800307_16.jpg

and here's the full article for anyone interested, seems to be a bunch stuff worth checking out in it:
https://daily.bandca...source=facebook

EDIT: damn didn't see the article was already mentioned... but yeah anyway this shit's good.

Edited by ghOsty, 12 May 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#46 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the links, I have that Owl Service album and it's awesome

#47 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • 47 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

apart from the owls in Twin Peaks & The Fourth Kind, i cant help but think of Sheffield Wednesday's Owl Crime Squad (hooligan firm) when the reference is dropped

mGwtNbpZ9ueavPixG8m1oLA.jpg

#48 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

http://www.dazeddigi...ped-70s-britain

#49 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

Just picked up on the label Reverb Worship, who do limited CDr runs, some great stuff on here:

http://www.reverbwor....com/index.html

An excellent free mix featuring several Reverb Worship artists:

http://folkhorrorrev...the-melmoth-mix

#50 Rubin Farr

Rubin Farr

Stanislava

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts
  • 1,676 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05