IGNORED

Help Venetian Snares

Guest cult fiction

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a perhaps more realistic analog, on Monday Funk goes to his boss (his fans) and complains about how he thinks his boss is often shitty and he hates the hours he has to work and how he hates even having to work at all and how he'd leave in a heartbeat if he could, then on Tuesday goes to his boss and asks for a raise. That's essentially what's happened. To me, that's just the strangest thing, not that people do it, or that people go along with it, but that Funk himself has the balls or the blindness to do it. I guess in a 'have-to' situation, you bite the bullet and do what you've gotta do, but I just couldn't be that kind of person. He obviously can, or feels no choice and thus goes through with it.

[a bunch of yelling]

lol at this post

"support our troops where is your patriotism you traitor rah rah rah"

Actually, although your analogy is retarded, in an alternate universe you raise an interesting counterpoint. I think the difference is that I'm not on anybody's ass to give Snares money or else you are a bad person, I am only on the ass of people who think a human being doesn't have the right to ask other human beings, who are in some tangential way fellow members of a community, for help. When said person (to the best of our knowledge) actually does need help. It's okay to ask for help, and it's okay to give someone help. If as a bonus you also get kickass music files in exchange for your help, then even better.

If instead you would prefer not to help, then you can simply… not post in this thread, and continue not buying Snares music. My only point is that it is the HEIGHT OF HYPOCRISY to post on an electronic music messageboard and consume or make electronic music, and have a passion for it, and then when someone who is as they say actually LIVING THE DREAM mentions that they need some help, decide instead to pick them apart and question their choices.

That makes no sense. Being locked in a house with a modular synthesizer and people who are into the music you make with it is WHAT WE ALL WOULD LIKE TO HAVE. It makes no sense to rag on someone for having the balls to accomplish exactly that.

As for the practical questions, anyone who actually thinks that "owning a modular synthesizer" is on the same financial level as "driving around in a limousine" is probably either 12 years old or has actual brain damage.

bought some music.

I hope some of you come across money hardship, so then we can all point and shout "LOOK THAT GUY HAS AN IPHONE! SELL YOUR FUCKING IPHONE YOU SCAB!"

Actually that's what normal people do when faced with financial hardship.

Again, the fact that someone asked for help doesn't grant us the right to judge them. If your point is that, according to your inferences—based on a single old photo of gear—that Snares isn't suffering "enough" yet (and what would this even mean?) to be worthy of help (again, whatever the underlying reason is), then that's fucked up and you should step back and consider your attitude.

I mean christ he's not going to come over and sleep in your bed for a month. He's just suggesting you buy Infolepsy, which is a banging EP.

Chris Clark didn't go online and ask for $$ when his van got jacked in Houston.

Oh, FFS - Clark's theft was covered by insurance. Apples and oranges, mate

they didn't steal his wheelchair tho

serious question: why is everyone are some people being such a little bitch about an undeniably talented (whether you like his music or not is fine) electronic musician asking for money during financial hardship?

Because said artist can be polarizing at times, and people use that excuse to lob the hate grenades.

makes great music

you've changed your tone, you didn't even put the word music in quotes!

Note I've only mentioned his Last Step work...

jesus christ man leave it

also cc has the backing of a much larger indie label and possibly recouped a lot of what was lost (or equivalent $$$) through insurance

Yep.

In a perhaps more realistic analog, on Monday Funk goes to his boss (his fans) and complains about how he thinks his boss is often shitty and he hates the hours he has to work and how he hates even having to work at all and how he'd leave in a heartbeat if he could, then on Tuesday goes to his boss and asks for a raise. That's essentially what's happened. To me, that's just the strangest thing, not that people do it, or that people go along with it, but that Funk himself has the balls or the blindness to do it. I guess in a 'have-to' situation, you bite the bullet and do what you've gotta do, but I just couldn't be that kind of person. He obviously can, or feels no choice and thus goes through with it.

Not picking on your post specifically, just responding to the general idea, mentioned by a few, embodied in the above paragraph.

Snares is your friend. You’re reading watmm; Snares makes fucking mental-ass electric music with a pace and intensity almost unmatched. You may not even personally like his music, but the fact that this board exists, that we read it, and Snares has a giant modular and uses it to inflict terror on grannies and unsuspecting rave bros alike means that we and he are one and the same tribe. People like that are people you should help if you are able.

It might sound crazy but you are actually LUCKY to have found such a nice forum to pursue your utterly asinine interest in stupid music, and as a fan of said music, you are LUCKY, regardless of the specifics of your taste, that someone like Venetian Snares exists in the world. Against all the fucking odds in the universe!

That’s why I find the “boss” metaphor is truly painful. Only in the exact bullshit capitalist garbage universe that Snares was, in my mind, ranting against would two parties who otherwise share the same passions and struggle feel the need to joust over who was the “boss” of the other, or whose hardships are truly “valid” or not.

That’s garbage. That is not the nature of the relationship you actually have. Seriously, you guys are on an electronic music forum designed specifically for intense fucking nerdasses, and when one of the leading practitioners of the very art form you claim to treasure asks for help (not donations, by the way, simply that you consider purchasing some music today), your response is to suggest that he suck it up and sell his modular synthesizer? Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

Maybe you guys should go hang out on the fucking “responsible household budgeting” forums, I bet they’re a blast. Because this is a forum about MUSIC and how we like it and how we like artists who—again, when the entire world is out there basically fucking them over and telling them they should go to law school at night otherwise they’re gonna fucking die penniless—keep making insane shit with insane gear in the basement of their fucking houses anyway.

I wish I had the balls to stay at home and support myself making music all day. But I go to work with a REAL BOSS who is a total cunt and basically sit around listening to ‘Filth’ and being bored off my ass EVERY FUCKING DAY. However, I am “doing fine financially”. It’s… fine. Very safe choices.

Some people dare to make the less safe choices, and you should fucking check yourself before you pop into a thread and start questioning someone else’s choices when they are in trouble. Particularly when that other person, oh I dunno, has produced hours and hours of exceptional work at the highest level in their field. Jesus christ.

Best. Post. In. Years.

next news : Venetian Snares enjoys holidays on bahamas , searching 4 inspiration. sponsored by watmm

And don't get me wrong, that would be hilarious

Guest Chesney

It's not for us to judge how or why but it's our choice whether to oblige or not. If you feel it's wrong for him to ask then ignore it and get on with your life. If you want to help then enjoy that warm feeling you get and the kerching of karma points.

I wish I had online money to purchase a few things. Will figure something out.

I'm in Winnipeg for the next week or so, he deserves support just for having to live here (just kidding Winnipeg)

If I see him on the street I'll give him some cash and put in a good word for a WATMM VS subforum

Cough up the buck, you cheap bastard!

He's a legend and you're not!

EDIT: ok, no trolls, im out of this thread, watmm police pls dont hurt me

nee naw, nee naw ... / under thrifty garidj beat

Also, come on guys, did you really say that he's more deserving screw those normals, praise be to god, heh. Now I'm not one the shy away from normal bashing, and in fact your statements illustrate just how normals you are, but can't we be a little nicer to one and all.

Well unless your subtley trolling the thread, in which carry on good sirs.

Seeing how the afx kickstarter seemed to "kickstart" a floodwave of great stuff from a previously mostly dormant RDJ (as far as releasing his stuff to the public is concerned anyway), I suspect Aaron will reward his supporters as well. At the very worst I bought some music that I enjoy.

next news : Venetian Snares enjoys holidays on bahamas , searching 4 inspiration. sponsored by watmm

And don't get me wrong, that would be hilarious

I wonder if he'll be scared to do that for a little while, like he could come into some money from touring and whatever in the next year but be too paranoid to go on holiday lest he get ambushed by a daily mail photographer, as he's sipping on a mohito whilst walking down the beach to his jetski surrounded by fawning bikini clad babes. He'll so fear the wrath of the watmmistan mullahs, that it'll force him to remain in that basement, which kinda seems what he likes doing anyway, mucking with sound, underground.

Also lol at JR's clarification to modey. And for the record, I like ascdi's just one of the guys analogy and agree with it. I don't like the delivery in terms of tone though. Too absolutist. nwae.

Seeing how the afx kickstarter seemed to "kickstart" a floodwave of great stuff from a previously mostly dormant RDJ (as far as releasing his stuff to the public is concerned anyway), I suspect Aaron will reward his supporters as well. At the very worst I bought some music that I enjoy.

Yeah I thought that too. Be interesting to see what comes up.

I don't see any inconsistency with him not wanting to do the press game but being happy to deal with fans directly anyways.

unless you eat meat, hehehe

bought a couple things i've had torrented for the better part of a decade (stuff that was impossible to find at the time). used to troll my gay friend by putting "gay" from fuck america fuck canada on her mp3 player. it was sooooo much louder than everything else and was always a good shock when it came up in shuffle. good times. purchased most of his pmu releases as they came out. also didn't realize that breakbeat malaria from clearance bin was the rad fucking track on dj rupture's gold teeth theif cdr from back in the day

I just thought it was a shame that people hadn't bought the stuff before. I even made a post on his FB saying as much, about how 400 people had liked the Moonglow reissue but only twenty people had bought it (to which he replied Yes, would be nice for people to support the music through direction than liking). Still though, cool that the situation has changed.

And I've always thought most of his shit talking was just shit talking, not deadly serious. That kind of stuff is pretty common in England at least, and seems to just be his Canadian vein of it.

Also lolling at the idea of all the bandcamp searchers trying out Venetian Snares for the first time due to the releases being so high on the lists :duckhunt:

He had to cancel an 11 date tour last year which I imagine took out a rather large chunk of his expected yearly income. That likely hurt any buffer he might have for an unforeseen circumstance.

If its really bad I'm sure he's selling non-essential gear, but as anyone who has tried to sell something other than shitty furniture for <$100 on craigslist can attest, that can take time.

bought some music.

I hope some of you come across money hardship, so then we can all point and shout "LOOK THAT GUY HAS AN IPHONE! SELL YOUR FUCKING IPHONE YOU SCAB!"

Actually that's what normal people do when faced with financial hardship.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/increasing-numbers-of-homeless-people-in-america-keep-their-mobile-phones-on-the-streets-10213727.html

http://2machines.com/162649/

And for the record, I like ascdi's just one of the guys analogy and agree with it. I don't like the delivery in terms of tone though. Too absolutist. nwae.

That's fair. It was a bit over the top. Hi dleet

Archived